Mother Lode Theatre

316 W. Park Street,
Butte, MT 59701

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Mother Lode Theatre

Built as the Temple Theatre in 1923, it opened September 6, 1924. The Mother Lode Theatre has emerged, after a $3 million dollar renovation, as an opulent and fully equipped performing arts center. The Mother Lode Theatre, with its superior sight lines and acoustics, is also a favorite venue for conventions and conferences.

The Mother Lode Theatre seats 303 on its main floor, 370 in the mezzanine, 182 in the first ring (loge) of the balcony, and 347 in the remainder of the balcony for a total of 1,202 seats. Approximately 50 temporary seats can be added if necessary to the house.

The Mother Lode Theatre is a popular venue for local, regional and national touring productions as well as community events. The Mother Lode Theatre is the performing home to the Butte Symphony Association and the Butte Community Concert Association.

Contributed by george everett, Gregg

Recent comments (view all 11 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm

We’re missing the aka Temple Theatre mentioned in the description.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 16, 2014 at 6:38 pm

The September 13, 1924, issue of Exhibitors Trade Review said that the Temple Theatre in Butte was practically completed and would have its formal opening soon. The theater was designed by the firm of Link & Haire (John G. Link and Charles S. Haire.)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on November 14, 2015 at 5:45 pm

It was also called the Bow Theatre in the late `50’s, photo added courtesy of Copper City .Com Facebook page. And it was the Fox in 1932, photo credit Smithers added.

Both Fox and Bow should be added as AKA’s.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on November 14, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Accodring to the history in the below link, it was the Temple, Fox, Bow, Fox again, and finally Mother Lode.

http://butte-anacondanhld.blogspot.com/2013/03/mother-lode-theater-315-w-park.html

rivest266
rivest266 on November 29, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Reopened as Fox on December 7th, 1929

Found on Newspapers.com

and

Found on Newspapers.com

rivest266
rivest266 on November 29, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Also opened as Temple on September 6th, 1924. Grand opening ad in the photo section.

rivest266
rivest266 on November 30, 2017 at 3:27 pm

This reopened as the Bow on September 25th, 1953. Grand opening ad in the photo section and below.

Found on Newspapers.com

rivest266
rivest266 on November 30, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Closed down as Bow in 1961 and reopened as Fox again on December 21st, 1962. Grand opening ad in the photo section.

rivest266
rivest266 on November 30, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Closed down as Bow in 1961 and reopened as Fox again on December 21st, 1962. Grand opening ad in the photo section. In 1978 Mann sells their theatres in the area to Carisch theatres and closed down in 1981. It reopened under new management in 1982 and split into two cinemas opening on August 1st, 1984.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 30, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Link & Haire, original architects.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater