1151-1155 DeKalb Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
Architects: R. Thomas Short
Functions: High School
Previous Names: DeKalb Theatre, Loew's DeKalb Theatre
The DeKalb Theatre was opened on December 18, 1911 with 2,500 seats. The architects were Harde & Short. It had a 40 feet wide proscenium and a 40 feet deep stage. There were 22 dressing rooms. It was closed in July 1913 for extensive alterations and improvements, and was reopened by the Shubert Brothers, presenting plays direct from New York’s Broadway theatres. In August 1915, it was taken over by Marcus Loew, and was renamed Loew’s DeKalb Theatre presenting vaudeville and movies. It was equipped with a Moller 3 manual, 16 ranks organ in 1917.
It was closed in 1930, and was unused for several years. It was renovated and reopened in the summer of 1936 as the Casino Theatre. Seating was now provided for 1,600 presenting burlesque. It was closed down by the city authorities on May 1, 1937, after having it licence denied.
The DeKalb Theatre reopened sometime later in the 1930’s presenting opera and ballet programs. Seating was now given as 2,600. The DeKalb Theatre was finally closed in August 1947, and was offered ‘For Sale’ in February 1947 with an adaptable use for manufacturing.
In recent years it has been converted into a high school.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.