108 E. 35th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally opened in 1912 as the Lux Theatre. It reopened July 4th, 1914 as the Pickford Theatre with the film “Sealed Orders” for the Alfred Hamburger circuit, the 700 seat Pickford Theater (possibly named for actress Mary Pickford) once had its own sixteen-piece house orchestra. It was located on 35th Street at South Michigan Avenue.
In addition to movies, like many of the movie theaters in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago, the Pickford Theatre featured live performances as well, many of these being jazz artists. In 1938 the theater was renamed the Louis Theatre, apparently after boxer Joe Louis.
After closing as a movie house in 1965, it was converted into the South Side Center for the Performing Arts in 1967, which later closed. Part of the building later housed a grocery store, but in recent years the former Louis Theatre became disused. It was demolished in early-August 2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater