124-128 E. Main Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Main Theatre, originally located at 124 E. Main Street was opened in 1938. It was part of the 9 theatre chain owned and operated by the Stiefel Brothers Roxy Theater Circuit. Used mostly for second run engagements after the films were shown in first run Lancaster, PA city theatres. In 1981 the admission was changed to $1.50 reruns. The theatre was closed on May 17, 1990.
The theatre building was purchased by the local Denver and Ephrata Telephone Company, whose corporate headquarters was located next door. After engineering and architectural studies were completed, it was determined the deterioration of the building was too extensive and was demolished. The last remaining years of operation, there were more sections of the auditorium roped off, due to falling plaster.
Plans were completed for a new “Brossman Business Complex” on the site. These plans included two new theatres. On Nov. 12, 1993, the Main Twin Theatre reopened. One theatre is named the Roxy and has a stage for live presentations. The other is named the Grand and is used exclusively for films. Both theatres show first run films.
Some of the original theatres interior has been restored and reused in the new complex. The neon wall lights in the original have been restored and are used in the new theatres. The original Art Deco chrome box office which was located on the outside of the theatre has been restored and used as the box office inside for the new twin complex. It is a first class theatre built in the 1990’s to look like the Art Deco style of the 1930’s!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater