15 Debevoise Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on the corner of Graham Avenue and Debevoise Street. This long-gone Brooklyn theatre is notable for being one of Bushwick-native Jackie Gleason’s jobs, emceeing, in his teens, not long after his first gig, emceeing at the Halsey Theatre. The Folly Theatre was opened as a vaudeville theatre October 14, 1901. Seating was provided for 2,170, with 800 in the orchestra, 550 in the balcony, 700 in the gallery and 120 in the box seats. The proscenium was 30 ft wide.
It was taken over by William Fox in July 1909 and was presenting vaudeville and movies, renamed Fox’s Folly Theatre. It was equipped with a Moller 3 manual, 21 rank organ in 1915. In 1931 it was taken over by an independent operator and reverted back to the Folly Theatre name. It was closed in 1939 and after ten years standing unused it was demolished in December 1949.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater