16-18 Seigel Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
As noted in the Brooklyn Theatre Index, the Lyric Theatre initially opened in 1908 as a vaudeville and movie house. It was apparently part of the Marcus Loew group of theaters but was leased to a Yiddish theater group in 1910. For the rest of its life, which ended in 1937, it served primarily – if not exclusively – as a legitimate theater, serving straight plays and musical comedies in (mostly) Yiddish. However, since the Lyric Theatre did enjoy a brief life as a movie theater, it can safely be added to the Cinema Treasures list.
During its extensive run, the Lyric Theatre, as could be expected, was situated in a heavily Jewish community based around nearby Graham Avenue. A 1910 article in the New York Clipper referred to this area as "the Ghetto of Brooklyn", and Graham Avenue is also referred to as the "Ghetto Street" in Betty Smith’s "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which was set Williamsburg.
During the 1960’s a large section of this now significantly deteriorated community, including this site, was demolished to make way for the large scale Lindsay Park housing development.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater