Wayne Theatre

1014 S. Calhoun Street,
Fort Wayne, IN 46802

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 9 comments

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

A book about Fort Wayne published by the Fort Wayne News in 1913 attributes the design of the Lyric Theatre to one of the town’s leading architects of the period, John M. E. Riedel. He also designed the Empress Theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 10, 2010 at 9:45 am

The Lyric was built in 1908, according to a history of Fort Wayne published in 1917. Originally a vaudeville house, it had been converted to a movie theater by the time the book was written.

DonLewis
DonLewis on August 30, 2010 at 4:29 am

From the early 1900s a postcard view of the Lyric Theatre before it became the Wayne.

millsbranch
millsbranch on April 9, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Should say posted by Billy Smith, Don lewis & Billy h.

millsbranch
millsbranch on April 9, 2009 at 7:22 pm

The Wayne theater at 1014 South Calhoun was opened in 1941 by Maller Theater Circuit.
It was first opened about 1908 as the Lyric, however Mallers bought
the theater, and promptly changed its name to the Riley.
They decided to again change its name, this time to the Wayne, which was very popular during it hey-day.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 19, 2007 at 3:34 am

A Bennett theater organ opus 811 size 2/14 was installed in the Lyric Theater in 1914. Note: Tubular Pneaumatic Action.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 12, 2007 at 12:13 am

This is a photo of the Wayne Theater dated 1951.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 22, 2006 at 12:46 am

That link is long gone. The theaters in Fort Wayne on 11/5/22 were the Lyric, Jefferson, Orpheum, Strand, Palace, Hippodrome, Creighton, Transfer and Grand.