184 Rue de Paris,
Villeneuve Saint Georges
No one has favorited this theater yet
This movie palace in a suburb of Paris originally sat 1000 with a balcony and a flat on the top floor of the building for the manager. It was the first movie theatre to be multiplexed in the suburbs of Paris, in 1970. Many similar movie theatres at that time were converted to supermarkets or destroyed.
The balcony became a 500 stadium seating auditorium called “Salle Champs Elysees” and the stalls two 200 seat and 100 seat auditoriums.
Confortable armchairs and a modern design with a policy of first run movies and a nearby railway station were enough to give to this theatre a quick success (more than 8000 tickets sold each week).
The owners became later the managers of the UGC chain. Soon after, many suburban theatres were multiplexed and it gave a new energy to the theatre business. However, many wonderful theatres were chopped into four or more screens loosing forever their fine original design.
By around 1990, the Artel was considered old-fashioned and surrounded by bigger multiplexes and was closed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater