Plaza Theater

448 Milwaukee Avenue,
Burlington, WI 53105

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

PLAZA Theatre, Burlington, Wisconsin, about 1954.

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Plaza Theater first opened in 1927 with a single screen. Located on Milwaukee Avenue it now operates as a four-screen, first-run movie house. It is owned by Kevin and Janell Alvarez and features a newly-remodeled concession stand with free popcorn and soda refills.

Contributed by Bryan

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

LouisRugani
LouisRugani on July 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm

May 26, 1953: Willard L. Uglow

PALMYRA â€" Funeral services for Willard L. Uglow, 56, former
Palmyra resident who died in Burlington, were held there Saturday
with burial in the Burlington Cemetery.
The son of William and Mary Bucks Uglow, he was born Nov. 2, 1897, in Palmyra . He was married to Doris Steele, Whitewater, in 1919. He opened the Crystal Theater in Burlington and formerly owned the State Theater there before retiring.
Surviving are his wife and a son, William, at home.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

Poblocki & Sons bought the run-down Plaza Theatre in 1953 and renovated it the following year to demonstrate Ben and Barney Poblocki’s contention that declining theater attendance was often the result of operators' failure to update their houses. As the Plaza is still open, perhaps there was something to their belief in the power of modernization.

This article in Boxoffice of October 2, 1954, has before and after photos of the Plaza’s front. The entire project, including design, was carried out in house by Poblocki & Sons.

I’m glad the Poblocki’s only modernized the lower part of the facade, and kept that delightful Gothic detail on the upper story.

LouRugani
LouRugani on April 25, 2014 at 9:27 pm

1927 – Rumors circulate about the construction of a new theater next to the Agner Auto Co. garage on Geneva Street.

1928 – The Plaza Theater opens at the Agner site; over 1,200 in attendance. Vaudeville acts added later in the year.

1930 – New sound equipment installed at the Plaza and at the Crystal.

1931 – Kapitan, son of canine movie star Rin Tin Tin, appears live at the Plaza.

1931 – Stink bombs set off at the Crystal and Plaza.

1933 – Cowboy singing legend Gene Autry appears at the Plaza.

1938 – New air conditioning equipment installed at the Plaza.

1951 – Plaza remodeled; new candy counter and mural of Echo Lake are added.

1952 – Presidential candidate Harold E. Stassen speaks at the Plaza.

1953 – Plaza outfitted for three-dimensional films. Later in the year the screen is adjusted to accommodate wide-screen showings.

1989 – Steve and Dana Lind buy Plaza Theater from Mary Jane Faust.

1997 – $1.1 million three-screen addition added to Plaza.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 15, 2014 at 3:40 am

The entry for Racine architect J. Mandor Matson on a list of theater architects in the April 28, 1928, issue of Exhibitors Herald and Moving Picture World includes the Plaza Theatre in Burlington, Wisconsin, among his recent works.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater