41 Springfield Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Elms Theater opened in 1927 and was the first theater to be wired for sound in the city. The name was changed to the Rivoli Theater in 1932. According to an August 15, 2007 article in The Republican, “The Rivoli was a smaller version of the spectacular movie palaces of the 1920’s, with marble pillars, wrought-iron chandeliers, carpeted corridors and halls embellished with painted murals depicting Greek and Roman mythology and, on the town’s largest stage, a huge movie screen surrounded by rich purple drapes.”
Renovations were executed in 1984 and the theater remained somewhat busy until the multiplex boom hit the area.
The Rivoli Theater was one of many gilded small town movie palaces that were owned and operated by the Goldstein family. Their once mighty empire has dwindled to just a few existing theaters and one of the last to close in 2000 was the Rivoli Theater.
Ronald Goldstein finally sold the massive theater, which claimed to have the largest screen in New Engalnd.
The building sustained water damage in March 2001, due to a water main break, but the theater was not harmed. Its original, free-standing, ticket window is a rare sight in the area and its vintage stylings are apparent even to this day.
The Rivoli Theater is listed as temporarily closed, but with each passing day, its renaissance seems further away than ever.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater