34 Boulevard Saint Michel,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cinevog Latin opened in 1938 as a newsreel theatre in what had formerly been a restaurant in the Latin Quarter, the architect was talented enough to find room for a single screen auditorium with a deep balcony, a lobby, and large façade. A curved stage gave the feeling of being a bigger place than it actually was.
Presenting second run movies in the 1950’s, the Cinema Latin was the only movie theatre in the surrounding to show popular and action movies.
In the 1970’s, after a refurbishing, the Cinema Latin became a first run movie theatre. In the 1980’s, with the development of newer first run cinemas in that district, it turned to adult movies.
One of the first automatic projection systems (Philips) allowed the cinema to be run by one man, as the booth was near to the box office.
Once there was a hunger strike by a porn star in the lobby. All the newspapers had great interest in the story. The Cinema Latin was closed on 20th September 1994 after being bought by a book/video/ records chain.
The place was remodelled, and by 2004, there was no trace left of the Latin.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater