Old Town Theater
815 1/2 King Street,
8 people favorited this theater
Originally opened as the Richmond Theater in 1914, it was the first permanent theater constructed in Alexandria and screened silent movies and vaudeville. The owners reportedly operated a vaudeville theater on the first floor and a dance hall on the second floor until around 1932, and the dance floor was later replaced with a balcony.
The cinema was twinned in 1980, making the balcony a second screen, and re-opened as the Old Town 1-2.
The Old Town was closed in 1999, and was reopened on Valentine Day 2002, after renovations were completed bringing the bathrooms up to ADA approved code, replacing the seats to a comfortable level and adding lighting and sound systems. The screen was removed opening the stage for live plays and a comedy venue. In December 2002, the Old Town Theater was closed.
The Old Town Theater re-opened in February 2004 with “Gone With the Wind” and “Philadelphia Story”. It was closed in early-January 2012 and later that year the façade was being restored. It reopened as a live performance theatre, but was closed in 2014. In August 2019 it was announced that plans were put forward to convert the Old Town Theatre into a Patagonia clothing store, keeping the stage and balcony for events, with a planned opening for March 2020.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater