118 E. Hamilton Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Alcove Theatre was opened prior to 1926 when it had 300 seats. By 1932 it had 500 seats. It was renamed Grand Theatre in 1937, still with 500 seats. In 1950 it was enlarged to accommodate 810 seats and the current façade was installed. The street level is now done in pink brick, and the upper story is red plaster with some unattractive beige sheet metal covering large squares on either side. Not sure what’s underneath. The marquee is a very nice burgundy with cream and the vertical has a colorful crown on top. Unfortunately, the vertical has no neon. The Grand Theatre was closed in 2011.
Renovations began in 2016 and in September 2016, the marquee was repaired and re-lit. Renovation work continued and it reopened on November 23, 2018 with “The Grinch”. It is now a 350-seat movie theatre run by the community for non-profit.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater