St. Louis Park Theatre
4835 Minnetonka Boulevard,
St. Louis Park,
2 people favorited this theater
The St. Louis Park Theatre opened in 1939, in the Minneapolis suburb for which the theater was named. Costing over $100,000 to construct, and designed by architect Perry Crosier in elegant Art Moderne style resembling more a sleek, sophisticated downtown nightclub of the era than a neighborhood movie house. It was one of the first theaters in the Twin Cities suburbs to allow smoking.
In 1957, the theater was modernized, including the addition of 70mm projection equipment, only the second theater in the state to do so, after the Academy Theatre downtown. In 1963, Mann Theatres took over the theater, and two years later, the Park again was remodeled, this time for the addition of Cinerama, with “The Battle of the Bulge”.
During the rest of the 1960’s and well into the 1970’s, the Park remained one of the main road-show format houses of the Twin Cities area. However, after a nearly 60-week run of “Star Wars”, the theater closed in 1980. The auditorium was demolished, and the lobby space converted into retail space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater