Baronet and Coronet Theatre
993 3rd Avenue,
15 people favorited this theater
Architects: John J. McNamara
Previous Names: Queen's Theatre, Arcadia Theatre, Baronet Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 15, 2008 — Remembering "Die Hard" -- A 20th Anniversary Tribute
- Jul 15, 2008 — Remembering "Die Hard"
- Jan 6, 2005 — Cinema 1, 2, 3 Also Set To Close
The Queen’s Theatre was opened prior to 1914 and was still operating in 1928. It was operated by the Queen’s Theater Co. In 1929 it was renamed Arcadia Theatre. Around 1951 it had been renamed Baronet Theatre. In late-1962 a second screen, the Coronet Theatre, was built on top of the Baronet Theatre and it was renamed Baronet and Coronet Theatre. The former Baronet & Coronet was once one of the hottest places to see first run films on New York’s Upper East Side during the 1960’s and 1970’s. Cineplex Odeon renovated the theatres and combined the entrance on June 16, 1989. With a total seating capacity of 918, the Baronet Theatre had 418-seats and the Coronet Theatre had 600-seats.
Sadly, it’s once famous façade and reputation declined in the past 25 years and the theatre finally closed in September 13, 2001. The old Baronet & Coronet lettering and crowns could still be seen through decades of dirt caked on to its fading exterior.
The theatre has been demolished to make way for an office building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.