Cuba Cinema

106 Florence Avenue,
Cuba, MO 65453

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 7, 2018 at 3:56 am

Henry C. Tuttle launched the Cuba, Missouri’s first movie theater under the name of “Just-A-Mere Theatre” on January 23, 1921. Tuttle created a wrap-a-around ad with an Extra edition headline promoting the theatre and used newsboys to disseminate the information with cries of, “Extra, extra read all about it.” R.H. Finley took on the venue but closed it on May 30, 1925 with the equipment removed.

One year later, the Nicalee Theatre (Deluxe) opened in May of 1926 named in a contest by local resident Susan Everson. The silent theatre dropped “Deluxe” from its ads and converted to sound in April of 1930 rebranding briefly as the Cuba Theatre. In September of 1930, the name reverted to the Nicalee Theatre likely due to comments of loyal patrons. The Nicalee closed during the Depression in 1932. According to the local paper, it reopened under new operators on September 13, 1934 as the long-running Cuba Theatre.

Chris1982
Chris1982 on August 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

This theatre should have an AKA Cuba Theatre. It actually opened in 1935. It was renovated in the mid-1970’s and renamed the Cuba Cinema.