135 E. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Penniman-Allen Theatre, or P & A Theatre, opened in 1925, built for Kate Penniman-Allen, who also constructed the theater of the same name in Plymouth. The Victorian-style theater cost over $150,000 and it featured a $13,000 pipe organ shipped from Germany. The P & A also had a stage, orchestra pit, and dressing rooms. The theater originally was originally an opera house, then switched to vaudeville, and finally became a movie house. Charlie Chaplin and Mary Pickford appeared in person during the P & A’s early years.
After Kate Penniman-Allen sold the theater to Edward Hohler, the theater was acquired in 1971 by the Zayti family. In 1972, the theater’s name was changed to the Marquis. A restoration starting in 1978 brought the old theater back to its former splendor. The Marquis moved from movies to live entertainment, going full circle to the theater’s earliest days as an opera house. In addition to opera acts, the Marquis hosts various other live performances, including children’s theater, concerts, and musicals.
A fire at the theater in 2003 caused some minor damage, mainly from smoke, but this has since been repaired, including new seating and curtains.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater