Regal Theatre

Davis Road and O'Rahilly Avenue,
Clonmel E91

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 5 comments

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete on July 12, 2018 at 2:29 pm

The previous building had already been known as the “Clonmel Theatre (Magner’s)” when the noted film Knocknagow was shown in January 1918. It was mentioned as being at the rear of No. 35 Gladstone Street so the new one maybe a completely new building rather than a reconstrcution.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete on January 8, 2017 at 1:54 am

The Regal reopened after tripling in Jan 1988 having spent IR£120,000 on the conversion. Pullman seating was for 290,175 and 79. Larry O’Keeffe bought the place from Ward Anderson in 1995 and turned it back into a theatre which closed in March 2001. It is now the Regal Centre and includes the Pet Planet store since October 2012 and Tangled Yarns. O'Keeffe’s furniture store is now at the back.

irishcine
irishcine on July 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

It would seem cinema use ended around 2001.

irishcine
irishcine on March 17, 2009 at 9:43 am

Passed by the former Regal on Saturday. The building stands, apparently empty with only an advertisment for a furniture retailer on it. That is over the corner entrance. This firm may once have used the premises, as the name is Regal, but this firm now has modern premises behind the former theatre / cinema. The building seems to be in good structural condition, well painted but is firmly locked up, so what it is like internally could not be seen.

The theatre was originally built in 1913, the architect was AOM Lovell, with between 700 and 800 tip up seats, and a stage measuring 30x26. For much of its life it ran as a cinema, with stage use on special occasions.