Piper's Alley Theatre
1608 N. Wells Street,
7 people favorited this theater
The Piper’s Alley movie theater located inside the mall of the same name. It opened in the trendy Old Town neighborhood in 1991 and has four screens. The Piper’s Alley, originally operated by Sony Theatres, then became a Loews Cineplex theater. The Piper’s Alley screened mainly independent films. Inside the same mall is the legendary Second City Theatre, as well as a smaller Second City stage, called Second City, Etc.
Interestingly, the entrance to the Second City on Wells Street uses a large fragment of the facade of the long-razed Garrick Theatre from the Loop, designed by Louis H. Sullivan. Another part of the entrance parodies the Garrick facade, which depicts busts of famous Germans (the Garrick was originally the Schiller Theatre), showing famous members of the Second City company from the past.
Last operated by AMC Theatres, it was still a popular movie house, though the Piper’s Alley began to show its age. It was closed on May 27, 2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater