305 East Nine Mile Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Henrico Theatre was built in 1938, designed by architect Edward Francis Sinnott. The Henrico opened in the Richmond area on April 25, 1938, with the movie “Thin Ice” and had a seating capacity of 782. The theatre closed in 1996. The Henrico Theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Before the recent completion of the theatre’s restoration, the terrazzo base with ‘Henrico’ was still intact on the front sidewalk leading to the theatre. The large marquee was in great shape and the large clock on the front center of the building was still there. The theatre was done in an Art Deco style as is evident from the front facade.
Henrico County bought the theatre in 1999 and spent $5.8 million to restore it. Dressing rooms and a green room were added, and the stage was enlarged. Molding remains in a period lime green, and the original paint scheme was preserved. Original light fixtures and chair ends were re-used. The carpet was recreated as it was originally. The auditorium now sits 400. The theatre has become a multi-use community facility for arts programming, including music, dance, theatre and film. The grand re-opening was October 27, 2007 with performances, a public ‘open house’ and tours.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater