110 W. Commercial Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Designed by Robert Boller of the Boller Brothers the Elkin opened in 1937 seating more than 800 when it opened.
It is currently used by a local troupe for live performances. A remodel in the 60’s which reduced the number of seats to 500. After the theatre closed as a movie house the lobby was used for some time as a coffee house. When the lease ran out the coffee house operators did not renew it. The theatre group then stepped in and is still using the theatre.
The theatre itself has a two story front with a triangle marquee with Elkin on both sides. It also has a nice sized vertical sign with Elkin running down each side in neon. The marquee and the vertical are a medium color blue with red trim. The front is in Art Deco style.
There is a preservation effort going on and a feasibility study in the process at this time to renovate the theatre. The Elkin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater