211 W. Sixteenth Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The three-story building on 16th Street which now houses the Atlas Theatre was originally built in 1887. The bottom floor held a tea and confectionary shop while the upper floors were used for office space.
In 1907, Cheyenne architect William Dubois was hired to convert the first floor into a theater, which would be named the Atlas, as well as retail space fronting 16th Street. The Atlas remained open until 1929. A few months later, it was reopened by the Publix chain as the Strand, but closed again a couple years later. The Strand reopened and closed at least a couple more times until the mid-50s, when it was no longer used as a movie house. In 1961, the theater was converted into a nightclub, which would only remain open two years.
In 1966, the Cheyenne Little Theatre Players began to use the Atlas for their live theater productions. In 1971, the theater company purchased the Atlas. The Atlas was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater