500 North Texas Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
The Ector Theatre opened as a single screen on August 1, 1951 with Loretta Young in “Half Angel”. This is a beautiful Art Moderne style house done in a dark orange brick with a corner entrance. From about 20 feet down the side and wrapping around the front is done in a green granite with geometic designs in square blocks that run around from the side to the cover the entire front of the theatre.
The marquee wraps around from the side to the front of the building. The vertical is still in use and is located on the corner of the building starting just above the marquee. Each geometric block along the side and the front has the pattern lined with neon.
The box office is located on the right side of the entrance doors and has a verigated pattern of aluminum around the base.
The theatre closed in 1985 but the city of Odessa now owns the Ector Theatre and went through a renovation of both the interior and exterior and has been operating it since August of 2001. It was closed May 14, 2016 with “The Last Picture Show”. The city of Odessa plans to renovate the building, but it will take several years to complete.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater