Cannon Bristol Road
5 Bristol Road,
7 people favorited this theater
Located in the Edgbaston district, just a short distance from Birmingham city centre. Quite a large cinema with very modern frontage and grand foyer, the Bristol Cinema opened on 16th May 1937 with Jane Wyatt in “Luckiest Girl in the World” and Richard Tauber in “Land Without Music”. It was owned by the Victoria Playhouse Group. Seating was provided in stalls and circle and the overal decorative scheme was a nautical Art Moderne style which had decorative plaster galleons of the Bristol sailing ship on each side of the proscenium, and it was initially these which gave the cinema its name, not the road it was located on. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) from 1st January 1944 and was re-named ABC from August 1959. Closed on 4th May 1963 for conversion into a 3-strip Cinerama theatre to the plans of architect C. ‘Jack’ Foster, assisted by Alan Morgan. It re-opened on 14th September 1963 presenting “How the West Was Won”.
It was divided into a triple-screen operation in July 1972 with seating provided for 482, 353 and 175. In 1986 it was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named Cannon. It was closed on 24th September 1987, and the building was sold for re-development, demolished later in 1987. The site of the cinema now contains a drive-through MacDonald’s restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater