310 E. Washington Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built in 1907, the theatre was known as the Dome in the silent era, Paramount in the 1940’s, Vogue in the 1950’s, New Vogue in the 1960’s and Cinema from the 1970’s.
The theatre was re-modelled in 1942 with Art Deco styling. The architect was M. Abraham, and the original capacity was 702. In 1958, a storm damaged the marquee, which was replaced. In 1964, the theater was victimized by a horrible remodel, which covered the facade in prefab sheets of vomit-colored stucco. The vertical portion of the marquee was removed, the outdoor booth destroyed, and one door closed up. It closed in 2003.
In its last current configuration, the theater is a grimy beige on top, with the original pediments showing through. The ground floor was a nasty green. The marquee was still kind of neat, with a large neon ‘C’ and star logo in the middle, and the word ‘CINEMA’ over both sides. Not sure if any of the original style was hiding under the stucco.
The Cinema was demolished in August 2007.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater