1543 W. 95th Street,
6 people favorited this theater
The Beverly Theatre was located on 95th Street in the Beverly neighborhood of Chicago and opened on June 4, 1935. Adjoining the movie house was an ice cream parlor, called the Bon Bon.
Operated originally by James Coston, who was head of Warner Brothers Midwest, it was part of the Warner Bros. circuit up until the early-1950’s, when the Costons took it over completely, along with other former Warner houses (the Jeffery and Rhodes Theatres). The family continued to run the theater until its closure.
The Beverly Theatre dubbed itself the “Home of the Single Feature” in an age when most other theaters were showing double features plus added shorts. The theatre had a curved screen, four-track magnetic surround sound and was one of the few theatres to have “Perspecta Sound” installed for the screening of Disney’s “Fantasia” in 1940. During the mid-1960’s, the theatre had a 56 week-long run of “The Sound of Music”. It was closed in September 1976, still drawing full houses, with a double feature of “Mother Jugs and Speed” and “Sparkle” being the last films shown at the Beverly Theatre.
The former theatre has housed a church for many years now.
Many thanks to Nick Coston for his valuable information on this theatre!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater