Neville Center for the Performing Arts
301 E. 5th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Neville Center for the Performing Arts (Official)
Previously operated by: Fox Circuit
Architects: Frederick A. Henninger
Functions: Community Arts Center, Movies
Styles: Spanish Moorish
Previous Names: Fox Theater
Built in 1929 by Keith Neville, a former governor of Nebraska, who joined forces with builder Alex Beck, the Fox Theater was designed by Frederick A. Henninger of Omaha. It was opened on November 24, 1929 with George O'Brien in “Salute”. It was donated to the North Platte Community Playouse in 1980 by Neville’s four daughters, and renovated through public donations and volunteer labor. The Fox sign and marquee remain.
As the Neville Center for the Performing Arts it is used for Playhouse stage productions, lectures, concerts and special events. It was added to the Nation Register of Historic Places in 1985. The design is described as “a fine example of the ‘Picture Palace’”, incorporating elements from various architectural styles.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 6 comments)
Here is another photo:
And a postcard:
From 2010 in North Platte photos of the Fox Here, Here and Here.
The Fox will begin showing films again.
Fox sign being removed for refurbishing.
Refurbished sign reinstalled.
The Pawnee Theatre neon signage was installed and ready to go but went unused when Fox bought the venue and changed its moniker to the Fox. The venue launched on November 24, 1929 with “Salute” as the Fox Theatre.