127 South El Paseo,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in 1912 as Fancher’s Capitol Theater as a mixed film and vaudeville house. The architect was John Parkinson, who designed a three storied building that resembled the half timbered houses seen in Germany. The auditorium and stage portion was built on wooden pilings above the sand and was located on the El Paseo beach amusement zone area of Redondo Beach.
There were 600 seats on the main orchestra floor and 100 in the small shelf balcony. It was a primitive building with the roof trusses and beams visible to the audience in the auditorium. A Wurlitzer theatre organ Opus 307, style 135A was shipped to the Capitol on 13th May 1920.
The theater was taken over by Gore Brothers of Los Angeles in 1919 and in 1920 the company was re-named West Coast Theaters.
The Capitol remained the major theater in Redondo Beach until the opening of the Fox Redondo in February 1929 when the manger Thomas Quinn tranferred to the new theater and the Capitol went over to second runs and westerns.
Any further information on the fate of this building would be appreciated.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater