Phoenix Drive-In

16657 B,
Houston, MO 65483

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Phoenix Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located on State Route , to the east of Houston. The ozoner opened May 10, 1951 as the Sunset Drive-In. It had a capacity for 140 car capacity. It was later renamed the Phoenix Drive-In.

The drive-in closed in 1998 but under new ownership it re-opened in 2001. It went through a remodel in early-2004 by its current owner and now has a capacity for 150 cars.

It operates seasonally from May through October. Sound is provided by both traditional pole speakers and FM radio.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Chris1982
Chris1982 on August 29, 2014 at 9:39 pm

This drive-in is owned by the same owner as the Phoenix Theatre adjacent to the drive-in.

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on April 5, 2017 at 2:29 pm

The 1952 & 55 Theatre Catalogs list the Sunset with a capacity of 350. OTOH, the 1959 IMPA says 150, though it was up to 200 for the 1982 edition.

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on April 5, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I found a great article in the Houston Herald from September 2011. Lots of nice photos, and these timeline clues:

It changed hands “several times over the years”.

Jaretta Lankford owned the drive-in and adjacent indoor theater “for most of the 90s.” The original screen blew down “in the mid-1990s” and was replaced with the screen that endures to at least 2011. That was also when it upgraded to FM sound, keeping a few car speakers too.

It was purchased in February 2010 from someone who “only had it less than a year”.

As of the article, Samantha Thomas owned the Phoenix and ran it with her parents, Richard and Hillary Thomas, and sister Noel.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater