241 1st Avenue W,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Tri-State Theaters Inc. (OR)
Previous Names: Bligh Theater, Globe Theater
Early in 1913 theater tycoon T. G. Bligh and property owner Conrad Meyer Sr. announced plans to build a community theater. Contracts were awarded and construction began in late-spring. On July 26, Conrad Meyer Jr. (Meyer’s son) was named local manager. Meyer announced that “moving pictures will be shown only when other (live) attractions are not available.
In September 1913, the Bligh Theater opened with Eugene Walker’s “The Wolf” featuring local as well as company actors.
By 1922 the theater had been renamed the Globe Theater and continued showing vaudeville acts until the 1930’s when the theater became a movie house for motion pictures and Saturday matinees. On January 19, 1932 the theatre was named the Venetian Theatre, and screened George O'Brien in “Rainbow Trail”. In 1937, the building was “modernized” with a stucco finish over the brick exterior. It remained the Venetian Theatre through remodelings in the 1970’s and again in the 1980’s.
It was renovated in 1999 and returned to its roots as a performing arts center. It closed in the early-2000’s and became a church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.