1036 Madison Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Madison Theatre (Official)
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Norma Jean Madison Theatre
News About This Theater
Opened as the Madison Theatre on May 29, 1929 with John Boles in “The Desert Song”. The theatre was part of the Stanley Warner chain until 1975.
It was taken over by a owner in 1994, renamed the Norma Jean Madison Theatre, and split into five auditoriums.
Two more screens were later added, made from former retail units.
The Norma Jean Madison Theatre, one of Albany’s oldest movie houses, finally closed in December 2001 after failing to pay its creditors. The Norma Jean Madison Theatre hadn’t shown a movie since early-November and owed its distributors and vendors tens of thousands of dollars.
One of those groups, Boston Concessions Group of Cambridge, Massachusetts, took over the theatre in Spring of 2002, and it was closed in 2003. After standing empty a while, an independent group took over and it re-opened on May 20, 2005. The other Norma Jean Theatre, located just outside Canandaigua, was also closed and sold two months ago after the owner went $67,000 in debt.
The Madison Theater was closed on September 8, 2013, to be remodelled into a twin screen theatre, with additional retail space. It reopened on January 17, 2014. In the summer of 2019 it was taken over by the Cosmic Cinemas chain but never reopened and Cosmic Cinemas went broke in November 2019. It was due to be reopened by an independent operator in December 2019, but then Covid-19 pandemic hit in March 2020. It finally reopened on December 17, 2021 with “Spider-Man No Way Home”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.