Center Cinemas

42-17 Queens Boulevard,
Sunnyside, NY 11104

llumenick
llumenick on May 28, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Francis Ford Coppola mentions seeing “The Thief of Bagdhad'‘ (1940) and other Alexandra Korda productions, as well as Universal productions including Abbott and Costello movies, in a commentary track for the new Criterion Collection DVD of "Thief of Baghdad.’'

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on January 1, 2007 at 5:29 am

3 theaters upstairs have DTS. The other upstairs theater has Dolby Digital EX. The downstairs theater has analog stereo.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on December 31, 2006 at 4:28 pm

does anyone know the capacities of each screen and does any have digital sound

Timothyart
Timothyart on August 16, 2006 at 3:53 pm

I have just recently moved to Queens after 20 years in Manhattan. During the 80’s I still was able to go to all of the great declining glory of 42nd street, all the revival houses, the few art-house screens. And of course, I saw them all go. So, I resisted going to the Center for the first 4 months that I lived here. It looked dingy and cheap. But, as a lover of movies, once I settled down in my seat with a little popcorn, I was happy to have the Center around the corner. Dingy and cramped though it may be, the sound is good, the price can’t be beat, and I was glad to learn that Sullivan’s Travels was the first film to play there, that knowledge courtesy of this website. There is a lot to be said for these old places, that were never grand in the first place, that never fell to a wrecking ball or another chain store or flea market.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 11, 2006 at 5:04 pm

Here’s a new link to the photo I posted on Sep 6th. The old link no longer works.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 6, 2005 at 4:15 pm

Snapped this photo on the way back from Manhattan with my son a few weekends ago…

Also grabbed a shot or two of the former Boulevard Theater on Northern Blvd in Jackson Heights on my way in to the city this same day. The following weekend I decided to take the camera out for a real tour of some cinema sites in Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, Flushing and even a stop in Fresh Meadows. I’ll be posting those pics as well in the coming days.

RobertR
RobertR on June 21, 2005 at 5:57 pm

Cineplex never had this theatre, the owner may just have copied their color schemes. I was suprised to recently discover at some point in the mid 60’s this was part of the Rugoff-Cinema 5 chain.

br91975
br91975 on March 26, 2005 at 10:52 pm

I’ve only passed by the Center Cinemas on foot once – and God knows how many times on the 7, heading out to Shea for Mets games – but seem to remember seeing quite a bit of gray, trimmed with some rather familiar runs of purple and pink neon within its interior; was this once a Cineplex house?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 28, 2004 at 5:11 am

The center was first twinned down the middle with one theater added in the basement. Then about 6 years ago the two upstairs screens were split in half to make a total of five screens for the building.

RobertR
RobertR on September 28, 2004 at 8:11 pm

Clearview has the most expensive concessions I have ever seen.

movieman007
movieman007 on September 28, 2004 at 5:25 pm

BY the way there are only 5 screens not 6, only one of the screens are in the basment, also Main Street bargain day is Wednesday, also Clearview Cinemas (We bring neibors to the movies, and screw you with our prices), they did away with their bargain day.

RobertR
RobertR on September 28, 2004 at 2:09 pm

The Main Street has the same owner and has the same Tuesday policy. I think the Clearview Squire and Port Jefferson also have a cheap night.

Camden
Camden on July 17, 2004 at 5:27 pm

I’m making a point of checking this theatre out. Warren, what other bargains do you know of in the NYC area? I’m familiar with Cobble Hill in Brooklyn, which is $5 until 5PM on weekdays and all day Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I’m curious to learn of others.

Thanks,