Babylon Cinemas

34 West Main Street,
Babylon, NY 11702

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 23, 2010 at 12:31 am

I misspelled the architect’s surname in my previous comment (as did the Heywood-Wakefield ad.) It should be Sornik.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

The mid-1950s rebuilding of the Babylon Theatre was designed by architect Maurice D. Sornick. A few photos appeared in an ad for Heywood-Wakefield seats in Boxoffice of January 7, 1956.

A photo of the auditorium was on the cover of Boxoffice, June 2, 1956. The Babylon was operated by Associated Prudential Theatres.

Bway
Bway on April 20, 2009 at 11:31 am

Here’s a photo of the Babylon in 1983. It really hasn’t changed all that much.

robboehm
robboehm on February 28, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Also, somebody mentioned the last theatre with a vertical. What about the Fantasy. And, in recent years they added one to the Greeport when they split up the old auditorium into a handful of theatres. As far as the simple neon style I believe the old Cambria and Laurelton had these. The big guns of, course were the Queens, Floral, Triboro, Valencia, Astoria, etc.etc,

robboehm
robboehm on February 28, 2009 at 3:54 pm

My only experience at this theatre was a performance of Rocky. Although I don’t usually see movies first run this was an exception and, as a result, I had to stand on line. I couldn’t believe the audience got so worked up during the big fight scene that they were out of their seats cheering. Talk about a movie grabbing you.

jpark377
jpark377 on May 28, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I appreciate this website, but they have to work on running correct initial desciptions of the buildings. This was a UA Theater before Clearview took it over in the mid-90’s.
When Lee was the manager here in the 80’s, you could quite literally eat off the floors. It’s was one of the cleanest theatres I’ve ever worked in. Her husband Joe was also an incredible theater manager. Real theater people like that are tough to find today.

wally 75
wally 75 on August 4, 2007 at 11:45 pm

wgli went on air in mid to late 50’s….wnyg became wbab am & fm

in late 50’s back to wnyg 1440 am….now

the only two people that may have done this broadcast that i can think of is ray heatherton aka friendly B O B of
bank of babylon….or jack elsworth of W A L K [still there]…
I WILL DO MORE CHECKING…..PS WBIC 540 BACK IN THE DAY DID LIVE
BROADCAST FROM JOHNNY ALL WEATHER IN COP. TIL SUNSET..WHEN STATION
SIGNED OFF THE MOVIE STARTED…

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on August 4, 2007 at 7:26 am

I,d like to repeat a question I asked about two years ago. Perhaps new visitors to this site might remember. Does anyone remember radio broadcasts coming from the lobby some afternoons in the mid 50’s? Thanks.

wally 75
wally 75 on May 1, 2007 at 7:51 am

also suffolk theatre in riverhead..now in danger..

wally 75
wally 75 on April 30, 2007 at 7:25 pm

ANYONE FROM CLEARVIEW ….CHECK OUT ISLIP TRIPLEX…YOU MAY HAVE YOUR

SECOUND THEATRE IN SUFFOLK…

BobT
BobT on March 4, 2007 at 2:41 am

Big giant screen unfortunately cut up into three. The seats upstairs were better than the orchestra section. The balcony theater is huge. We had to sit front row balcony, always front row center, even if it meant getting there extra early and waiting up in the restroom/loge area. On the MGM “Red Carpet” circuit. Saw “Carrie”, Woody Allen’s “Sleeper”. Saw “Hair” here the second time after seeing at The Ziegfeld opening night. Sorry about the problem John R had with “ET”, but the film was a sold out, lines around the corner, huge burst of applause finale smash here. The traffic and parking was ridiculous, but they just came and came. I even relief managed a few nights after it was tripled and “Dune” was playing in the empty balcony theater.

JohnMoviola
JohnMoviola on March 3, 2007 at 10:20 pm

I saw a few movies there, but always remember seeing the first showing of “E.T.” there, and the sound was hard to hear, then too loud. I also saw “Hair!” there, just as the ad link in a previous post shows!

Bway
Bway on October 4, 2006 at 6:00 am

Perhaps they knew the Islip Theater was closing?

longislandwally75
longislandwally75 on October 3, 2006 at 7:12 pm

THIS JUST IN…BABYLON HAD A MAKE OVER LAST MONTH…NEW SEATS

SNACK BAR…HIGH BACK SEATS WITH PLENTY OF LEG ROOM..

CHECK IT OUT..

WALLY 75

Bway
Bway on June 8, 2006 at 6:35 am

I know it’s a little late to ask now, but what exactly was a “Theater tour”?

Orlando
Orlando on August 16, 2005 at 2:56 am

This theatre will be on the theatre tour on Sept. 11, 2005. See the Lindenhurst Theatre on this website for more info.

teecee
teecee on March 11, 2005 at 1:34 pm

4/30/79 newspaper ad listing this theater:

wirelessmedia
wirelessmedia on February 16, 2005 at 9:43 pm

What about the South Bay, up the road in West Babylon (I think it opened as a twin.. it now has 6 “screening rooms”). It’s somewhat rundown, but the movies are still cheaper than most (and it does show first one). Last movie I saw there was “Good Will Hunting.”

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on January 27, 2005 at 6:52 am

Does anyone remember a very tall, handsome and disinguished gentleman who broadcast a radio program from the lobby of the Babylon theatre in the mid-fifties? Maybe I imagined it. Thanks.

Jacker
Jacker on November 5, 2004 at 7:23 pm

Prior to Clearview, it was a UA Theatre. We bought it from them..(I work for Clearview).

Dear Mr. Masher,

I am training to become a projectionist with local 640. I am also trying to get in Clearview as a manger. I had Thelar Thatch from Human resources contact me but still waiting. Do you know of any positions opening up in managerial in Long Island?

Thanks,

Email me at:

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on October 31, 2004 at 1:16 pm

I have a 1925 photograph of the exterior of the Babylon Theatre. It was certainly named the Babylon then, and not Capitol. The architect was J.H. Phillips and the seating capacity was 1,050. It was designed in a Colonial style. In the descriptive article I have (written by the architect) there are also photographs of the auditorium and lobby taken in 1925.

Bway
Bway on October 20, 2004 at 8:45 am

It’s got to have the West in there though, because 34 East Main St would be the other side of Deer Park Ave. I think Deer Park Ave and Main Street (Montauk Highway) is the “zero” point for Babylon.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 14, 2004 at 7:08 pm

wow you were everywhere today

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 6:48 pm

Here’s a photo of the Babylon Theater taken today:

Click here for link to photo

longislandmovies