Babylon Cinemas

34 W. Main Street,
Babylon, NY 11702

paul baar
paul baar on June 27, 2017 at 7:22 pm

wally75,There used to be Halloween costume contests in theater for the kids. Were you involved in that? I won a pair of tickets to see a matinee.

robboehm
robboehm on June 27, 2017 at 2:45 am

Wally, would you happen to have any of those flyers around. I saw a reproduction of one in a Southold newspaper. I seem to recall, in the one edition, in the lower right hand corner near the Edwards, a listing for a Moriches (not Center Moriches) theater. I have not been able to prove this and there is no listing on CT. Would also be interesting to see one where the Granada in Patchogue appeared.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 27, 2017 at 2:02 am

Paul: The flyers were printed in the basement of Babylon in a little room few feet from furnace…They were printed for all theatre’s..Then was moved To the Gables Theatre in Merrick..

wally 75
wally 75 on June 27, 2017 at 2:02 am

paul baar
paul baar on June 26, 2017 at 3:32 pm

nyer,I loved the coming attractions flyers on the photo page.I saw Planet of the Apes on that run advertised.I bought all the gum cards for the first one.I remember the flyers were by the concession stand on a table,and I liked to look at them.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 22, 2017 at 2:57 am

paul baar: I turned 19 in 1966..You mentioned a few guys that worked there in an early post..I know a few of the names..

paul baar
paul baar on June 21, 2017 at 7:26 pm

wally75 thanks for the feed back.I might have seen you when you started at the Babylon. In 1966 I turned 10 years old. The ushers I knew were ether seniors In high school or older men with mostly grey hair.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on June 21, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Thanks! The Music Hall showed movies only by default, and has now returned to its original purpose of “live” stage performances. The Astor, Victoria, and Rivoli were all in shoddy condition by that time and may not have even been up to the standards of a neighborhood cinema like the Babylon.

paul baar
paul baar on June 21, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I went to the Rivoli to see Moonraker 1979,Radio City Music Hall to see The Thrill of it All 1963,and A boy named Charlie Brown 1969, The Astor to see Tommy 1975,The Victoria To see The Bible in the Beginning 1966.(Note: see my photos of the Rivoli.

robboehm
robboehm on June 20, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Additional dumpsters on site.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on June 20, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Paul, would be interesting to know the names of the “handful of historic theaters in Manhattan” that you’ve attended.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 20, 2017 at 2:04 am

Paul: Prudential had red jackets black PANTS WITH STRIPE’S DOWN THE SIDE… AND BOW TIE….UA SAME BUT WITH MAROON JACKETS..

paul baar
paul baar on June 14, 2017 at 6:54 pm

I would like to say this, to whoever wants to read it; I’ve been to a handful of historic theaters in Manhattan, and a lot of theaters on Long Island. There might be some theaters with bigger screens and better sound systems with classic decor, but the Babylon single screen theater will always be number one to me. I’ve enjoyed every movie I’ve ever seen here from “Bye, Bye Birdie” to the last one I saw as single screen, “The Missouri Breaks”. The last movie I saw as a multi-screen theater was “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”.

paul baar
paul baar on June 14, 2017 at 3:00 pm

You guys are great,I can’t get any of this information on Wikipedia. (wally75) do you have any photos of what the usher uniforms looked like for Prudential and United Artists.This may not be important to some, but it’s part of the nuts and bolts of the history of these theater chains.

NYer
NYer on June 14, 2017 at 9:47 am

The Bayshore Cinema and The Bayshore Drive-In were considered two separate theaters with separate managers, staff and bookings.

robboehm
robboehm on June 14, 2017 at 3:05 am

Prudential did the same at it’s Patchogue and Nesconsett All Weather Drive Ins. They subsequently built the hard top Cinema adjacent to the Bay Shore Sunrise Drive In but I don’t believe it showed the same movie as the drive in (or, laterly, either of the drive-ins when they twinned it.)

wally 75
wally 75 on June 14, 2017 at 12:07 am

Johnny was a drive in icon…aka “JOHNNY ALL WEATHER” IN- DOOR/OUT-DOOR THEATRE’S …When they started same movie played in side and out side…

NYer
NYer on June 13, 2017 at 8:07 pm

paul baar check the photo section here.

paul baar
paul baar on June 13, 2017 at 8:03 pm

wally75 can you help us with The Prudential elf “Johnny”?

paul baar
paul baar on June 13, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Does anybody remember in the mid 60’s at the height of the Batman craze on TV, they re-released a feature version of the 1940’s Batman serial.In the city they showed it in the evenings,at Babylon theater they showed it as a matinee.On a different subject I read some of you guys old comments.I’m a real green horn when it comes to theater history,I have some questions about projectionists;if anybody could humor me.

robboehm
robboehm on June 12, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Paul, I see what you mean. I have no explanation.

paul baar
paul baar on June 12, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Hello Mike(saps)I’ve learned from robboehm that I’m more of a Prudential generation than a United Arists theater generation. Maybe the master can learn a little from the grasshopper too.My specialties is old movies.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 12, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Welcome to the club. Just stay calm and all may (or may not) be revealed…

paul baar
paul baar on June 12, 2017 at 5:57 pm

robboehm,also go to Copaigue page look at the photo page . First photo advertisement for Prudential Drive-In Johnny All Weather.I’m learning things from looking at the pages of this web site.

paul baar
paul baar on June 12, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Hello again robboehm, take a look at North Babylon twin page.At the top page is an advertisement for local Prudential theaters.It shows The Valley of the Dolls playing at the Babylon theater. On the advertisement next to were says Prudential, is a elf cartoon character on his hat it says the name Johnny.