Babylon Cinemas

34 West Main Street,
Babylon, NY 11702

paul baar
paul baar on May 31, 2017 at 7:23 am

robboehn I would like to meet you when they have the re-opening of this theater.I don’t know as much as anything as You know about cinema theater history,but I think I know about at least a percentage of all movie history You know.

paul baar
paul baar on May 30, 2017 at 8:54 am

My first two James bond movies i saw in a double feature “From Russia with Love"and "Dr.No” here .You can’t go wrong with a team like Sean Connery,Terence Young director,John Barry score,and a Saltzman&Broccoli production. The sound was great with out Dolby digital.

wally 75
wally 75 on May 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Show must go on soon..Thanks

robboehm
robboehm on May 28, 2017 at 10:27 am

There is now a building permit on the window and a Winter Brothers dumpster in the alley.

paul baar
paul baar on May 25, 2017 at 9:11 am

My family never looked at the movie listings,it would be just"Lets go to the movies".We would see"What-Ever"they were showing at our local Babylon village theater.I was taken at a very early age to see movies I couldn’t understand let alone pay attention to.I was taken to see movies “Psycho”,Marlon Brando in"Mutiny on the Bounty"and Alan Ladd’s last movie"The Carpet baggers".A couple of years later I would be able to appreciate movies like"Lord JIM"and"A Man for All Seasons",between Elvis,Jerry Lewis,James Bond,Steve Mcqueen and Peter Sellers.I keeped a log of all the movies I saw at the Babylon theater,until I moved away and started hanging out with the"Bad Boys" that went to the Uniondale Mini Cinema.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2017 at 12:27 pm

I posted two movie ads in the Photos section, but not one with any theaters listed :(

paul baar
paul baar on May 11, 2017 at 10:41 am

MIKE(SAPS)THANKS FOR SHOWING THIS.I WRONG IN SAYING IT WAS A CINERAMA EDITION.I SAW THE NON-CINERAMA EDITION,I KNOW THEY MADE A 2001 CINERAMA EDITION-BABYLON THEATER SHOWED THE NON-CINERAMA EDITION FOR BOTH.ROBBOEHM PLEASE FOR GIVE ME, I RESPECT YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

Tom Palminteri
Tom Palminteri on May 11, 2017 at 9:21 am

Where did you post it Mike (saps) I worked there in 1997-99 when they released the Star Wars Special Editions. It was great fun!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2017 at 9:02 am

I posted two ads for The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm in the Photos section, one for the Cinerama run and one for the neighborhood non-Cinerama run…

robboehm
robboehm on May 11, 2017 at 6:59 am

paul, I’m familiar with the Cinerama concept but I doubt whether they would have retrofitted the Babylon for Cinerama. After the roadshow presentation a regular print was released in theaters. I actually captured the image of an ad for the popular release from Google. If I had the techie smarts I could have provided a link here. This is probably what you saw. It’s also been shown on TCM and is available on DVD.

paul baar
paul baar on May 11, 2017 at 5:38 am

WALLY 75,MY MOTHER WENT TO SCHOOL WITH THE OWNER OF WALDMAN’S WIFE,AND I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH THERE SON BUT HAVE LOST CONTACT.

paul baar
paul baar on May 11, 2017 at 4:32 am

ROBBOEHM,GEORGE PAL’S"THE WOUNDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM" WAS MADE IN CINERAMA,I MAY BE WRONG THAT IT WAS SHOWN IN THAT FORMAT AT THE BABYLON THEATER.IT TAKES THREE PROJECTORS SHOWING AT ONE SCREEN AT THE SAME TIME TO MAKE THE CINERAMA EFFECT.LOOK IT UP ON LINE,BUT I DID SEE THE MOVIE AT THE BABYLON THEATER.

paul baar
paul baar on May 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

WALLY 75 DID YOU KNOW USHERS PAT- O'SHAUNESSEY(O'FARREL)?,KEVIN BARRY,JIMMY QUINN.SOMETIMES THEY WOULD GET ME AND PAT’S YOUNGER BROTHER “SEAN"IN FOR FREE.

robboehm
robboehm on May 10, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Never did Cinerama.

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 on May 10, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I do not see any mention of this theatre having shown any Cinerama films in Cinerama at any time.

wally 75
wally 75 on May 10, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Yes, I knew them…in the mid 60’s I worked as an usher and over night I would paint exit doors, seats, and rest rooms…WALDMANS WAS MY TWO TIMES A DAY SPOT..

paul baar
paul baar on May 10, 2017 at 6:50 am

DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER WALDMAN’S SODA FOUNTAIN ON THE CORNER OF MAIN ST. AND FIRE ISLAND AVE.LINES WOULD GO PAST FOR EPICS LIKE DOCTOR ZHIVOGO OR A DISNEY FILM.

paul baar
paul baar on May 10, 2017 at 6:32 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEED BACK ROBBOEHM AND TOM PALMINTERI.I SPENT MANY A SATURDAY AT THE 2PM MATINEES,I KNEW SOME OF THE USHERS-MY BEST FRIENDS BROTHER WAS ONE,ALSO OLDER USHERS THAT MADE A CAREER OF IT AND RETIRED WITH A PENSION FROM UNITED ARTISTS.THEY USED TO SHOW SHORT ADVERTS.FOR THE EVILS OF PAY TV SIGN THE PETTISION IN THE LOBBY,AND GIVE A DONATION TO THE WILL ROGERS FOUNDATION.MANY DOUBLE FEATURES LIKE ELVIS PRESLEY’S “HARUM SCARUM"and"GHIDRA THE THREE HEADED MONSTER-REVIVALS OF THE HOUSE OF WAX with 3-D GLASSES.THE RATING SYSTEM IN 1968-WAS G,M,R and X.

robboehm
robboehm on May 9, 2017 at 7:22 pm

paul, the theater was built in 1922 so the 1950’s style obviously came at a later date, probably after the fire they had. They also, obviously, changed the facade and the marquee adding the vertical. See the pictures section for the way the exterior looked early on after it became the Babylon, having started life as the Capitol, a sister theater to the Capitol in Riverhead which subsequently became the Riverhead.

paul baar
paul baar on May 9, 2017 at 11:31 am

THE OLD UNITED ARTISTS THEATER WAS DESIGNED IN 1950’S STYLE MODERN COMPLETE WITH SPITNIK ARTDECO CHANDELIERS.I GREW UP GOING TO THAT THEATER.THE FIRST MOVIE I SAW THERE WAS THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM IN CINERAMA.

Tom Palminteri
Tom Palminteri on May 5, 2017 at 9:05 am

Very nice memories Paul. I also loved it there. I remember seeing E.T. there in 1982 with friends and I liked it so much I took my parents and we sat in the Balcony.

wally 75
wally 75 on April 8, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Thanks keep us posted.

robboehm
robboehm on April 7, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Still no signs of activity.

Tom Palminteri
Tom Palminteri on March 12, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Maybe they are waiting for the Spring to start renovation. I hope so!

robboehm
robboehm on March 12, 2017 at 11:26 am

No change from my December report.