34 W. Main Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Located on W. Main Street, just west of Deer Park Avenue. The Capitol Theatre was built by the Riley Brothers in 1922 as a sister theatre to their Capitol Theatre in Riverhead, NY. Designed by architect John H. Phillips in a Colonial Revival style. Seating was provided for 1,050 in orchestra and balcony levels. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer organ. The property entered into bankruptcy and closed on December 20, 1924. The theatre reopened under new ownership with the name Babylon Theatre in February 1925.
In later years it was operated by Prudential Theatres(1929). After a fire on April 3, 1955 was remodelled to the plans of architect Maurice D. Sornik. Later operated by United Artists it became a triplex on December 14, 1984. It was later operated by Clearview, and as of June 2013 it has been operated by Bow-Tie Cinemas with a total capacity for 688.
The Babylon Cinemas was closed on September 7, 2014.
Following renovations and a de-tripling, it re-opened as the 500-seat Argyle Theatre on April 21, 2018 presenting a Donna Summer tribute show.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater