AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 27, 2015 at 12:12 pm

i’ve seen that in the trailers…it’s an odd aspect ratio and they converted that into 3d. The next avengers movie will be filmed in digital imax 2d for two parts. San andreas will share screen time in imax with Tomorrowland and that is a DMR blowup converted to 3D.

Giles
Giles on May 27, 2015 at 7:35 am

sheesh – jump down the guy’s throat – according to imdb – the film was all digitally captured – interesting, though, the aspect ratio used for ‘Tomorrowland’ is 70mm’s 2.20:1

in terms of 15/70 IMAX prints being struck for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ – it better, not all the museums / science centers have all digital (let alone laser ) systems in place. We know that J.J. Abrams shot at least one major set piece in 15/70 – so I’d hope that Disney strike prints for this.

now in terms of ‘Jurassic World’ some scenes were filmed in 65mm and again, this film will be released in aspect ratio of 2.00:1 (yeah, go figure on that one).

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 26, 2015 at 11:27 am

Is Tomorrowland a digital imax presentation or 70mm? I think the majority of imax theaters showing it are digital.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on May 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I might be seeing my IMAX at the AMC Empire until Lincoln Square converts. The projection is currently to small for Lincoln Square. The only way I’ll go to Lincoln Square IMAX is if it’s not playing at the Empire, AMC shares movies with Regals Walk and the RPX is worst than AMC Prime. But when IMAX laser comes, I’ll be at Lincoln Square

The manager told me the fall yesterday.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 16, 2015 at 11:57 am

must be the economy. remember when AMC was rolling out every theater with the Sony 4k projectors from 2009 until 2012…that was a slow rollout. Ditto that for dolby atmos and the amc renovations.

Giles
Giles on May 16, 2015 at 11:17 am

summer is the worst time for an auditorium specifically an IMAX one to be closed for renovation – Fall (Sept.) would be the most ideal timeframe for the conversion. Thankfully the Smithsonian timed it just right (with IMAX’s help) to close, renovate, reopen the Airbus IMAX theater before the summmer movies.

mhvbear
mhvbear on May 16, 2015 at 6:25 am

The last time I asked at customer service I was told late summer or early fall. The laser projection seems to be on a slow roll out by IMAX.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on May 15, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Still no IMAX Laser. The IMAX DLP is designed for the AMC Empire 25 or 34th Street, not Lincoln Square. What is AMC waiting for, Star Wars to install it.

Currently people who sit the blue seats have the worst view of the screen

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on May 3, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Every one is in IMAX seeing The Avengers

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 3, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Hello- speaking of a little tibit of info. I went to the 12p.m. show of TAAOU in the main Loews auditorium and was shocked it was virtually empty.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on May 1, 2015 at 9:40 pm

When is the new laser imax be installed. I’m tired of seeing inax dlp not taking up the whole screen. It hasn’t been the same since IMAX 70MM. I don’t know why it wasn’t installed when The Hobbit played. Tcl Chineasecis new to IMAX. Lincoln Square had it since 1994

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Tickets for the first showing of avengers in Imax 3d already sold out…

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 14, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Maybe they’ll do it when the new star wars movie comes out….

xbs2034
xbs2034 on April 12, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Well, the transition from IMAX film to digital was done over a Mon-Thurs period if I remember correctly, but I think this would take longer. And with The Water Diviner scheduled to play starting April 24th, and then the big summer movie season, my guess is the transition would happen in the fall (like it did last time).

Interestingly, the Empire 25 seems to have nothing scheduled for IMAX between Furious 7 and Tomorrowland, so that would seem like the time to do such a transition.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 6, 2015 at 12:35 pm

I actually never went to the other theaters at this venue other than the Imax screen. I love the interior of the lobby and the digital marquee. Do they still do the laser light preshow before the Imax movie when an usher introduces the presentation? I used to like that short featuring Mr big screen that I saw twenty years ago when seeing across the sea of time. I saw l5 twice the second time the print was wearing out…it was in 1996. Never saw a 2d Imax showing. It was always sold out before reserved seating made it possible for moviegoers to pick their seats. I remember seeing a video wall near the Imax while waiting to go into the screen and wearing those bulky Imax headsets.

mhvbear
mhvbear on April 5, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Not very likely that the Lincoln Square will get the seating that was installed at the Loews 86th Street. The Lincoln Square wouldn’t survive with that kind of severe reduction. Lincoln Square is doing sell out business. The 86th was washed up. Not getting the cream of the bookings and getting move overs from the Lincoln Square. Lincoln Square is a desired location for a lot of exclusive runs.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 5, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Hello-

I think the new set up at the 84 St. theater is a rip off. even if a particular auditorium has 5 people in it the basically force you to pay more for a reserved seat. its the same at the Cinema 1 on 3rd. Ave. the regular price is now $17 making it the most expensive regular ticket price in the city. in fact I went to see Mr. Turner there. I arrived several minutes before the film was due to begin but the line at the box office was sooooooo long since everyone was forced to pick a reserved seat that I missed the beginning of the film. in my opinion this reserved seat policy is just theater onwers way of squeezing more $$$ out of moviegoers.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 3, 2015 at 10:56 am

Which movie has grossed the most and had the longest run at this theater I think titanic did well. For Imax on think avatar 3d same for the 3d version.

amcbayplaza13
amcbayplaza13 on April 3, 2015 at 10:49 am

This theater should be renovating like the sister of the loews 84th street 6

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 3, 2015 at 10:38 am

Is this theater showing its age? 20 plus years sounds like it is. They should renovate this theater much like it’s sister theater on 84th street.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on April 3, 2015 at 10:35 am

I reached out to someone at AMC via Twitter and was informed that in fact no plans made or any specific details are available and to check with the theatre for further information as to specific facts.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on April 3, 2015 at 4:55 am

Thank you for actually providing a link, however, it doesn’t say exactly when the transition is taking place. So until someone speaks with theatre management and gets a shut down and re-open date, then any guesses is just that a guess.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 1, 2015 at 12:07 pm

hdtv267
hdtv267 on March 28, 2015 at 10:43 am

yeah rumor and innuendo.

I could come on here and post that the building is going to be imploded and replaced with a Islamic mosque and then say, “Oh that’s just my opinion”

what purpose does it serve here. I thought this was a board with actual historical information concerning a particular venue

That other speculation would be better served on a Facebook page or Twitter.