AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

markp on September 4, 2016 at 6:20 pm

xbs2034, perhaps you should have seen Hateful 8 at the Regal E-Walk where I ran it. Properly framed every time, no sound issues, and I was the only theatre out of the 4 in NYC that ran it that NEVER once used the digital back up. That’s what 40 years as a projectionist gets you. Just sayin.

xbs2034 on September 4, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Hateful Eight was incorrectly framed and then out of focus at the beginning (fixed soon after overture/openung credits sequence) and image cut out with sound still going for about 30 seconds near the end.

As for other films, I saw the typical problems of badly scratched prints, muddy images, colors changing in the middle of a scene due to print damage, etc. (these were all 35mm showings in 2012-2013 as I noticed problems with film projection becoming more frequent, and the last years I found film projection of new releases outside of very rare circumstances).

Lincoln Square IMAX installed digital in Fall 2013, so they may have had some QA system in there (the digital IMAX system was installed really fast though- they were closed for just 3 or 4 days), but the customer service team mentioned that as part of the renovation when I was there a couple weeks ago. Could be it’s a more advanced QA system designed for laser projection and the new sound system.

CF100 on September 4, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Film will degrade during a run even with proper handling and equipment maintenance.

xbs2034, what issues were there with the ‘Hateful Eight’ and other film screenings you attended?

Remote monitoring and auto-calibration is standard in an IMAX Digital installation, laser or not. The audio system calibration (IMAX nXos which uses Audyssey EQ technology) was first installed in 2010, so depending on when IMAX Digital projection was installed at Lincoln Square, might be an addition.

Also, aside from the addition of the side/overhead speakers for IMAX’s 12 channel sound system, the screen speakers and rear speakers could be upgraded to IMAX’s “Kanga” speakers if they have previous generation speakers. The screen will also need to be replaced for laser projection.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on September 4, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Cheaper prints have been getting made for twenty years due to short runs and a lack of subruns. Print quality did not deteriorate due to a lack of projectionists. The prints are just on lower quality mylar and most get destroyed soon after the first run.

xbs2034 on September 4, 2016 at 2:11 pm

CF100, I feel seeing a new film print properly projected is gorgeous, but those probably only happen now in special events. In regular multiplexes as you say substandard projection was not uncommon particularly as a film was shown more and got some damage, and it got worse in the last five years or so as trained film projectionists became rare so that I’d even go to the first showing on film of a movie like Hateful Eight and there were significant issues.

But while I do feel DCP is better in the everyday multiplex world, there always is a chance for error and I think one of the issues with more automated theater operations now is usually there isn’t someone there checking for problems when they occur. Which is why I think the system IMAX is putting in is promising, the screen should be properly calibrated and be getting some more oversight, even if it is done remotely.

CF100 on September 4, 2016 at 11:01 am

I’ve seen dual projector 3D setups misaligned, most noticeable as double images on the end credits and other titles. IMAX’s dual projection system requires alignment to subpixel accuracy.

Daily auto re-calibration of image and sound to restore to the original calibration is a good thing.

All screens are monitored by IMAX’s Network Operations Center in Mississauga.

In the days of 35mm, IME (outside of premier venues which retained ‘showman’ projectionists) it wasn’t uncommon for multiplexes to have substandard projection with poor film-handling, out of focus picture, and even failure to switch to the anamorphic lens for the main feature, etc.!

It would be interesting to consider comparative ‘uptime’ figures for digital vs. film projection. But whereas digital tends to be ‘all or nothing,’ film will degrade with every screening.

moviebuff82 on September 4, 2016 at 10:06 am

That stinks. The thing with projectionists unlike robots is that the humans have more knowledge than the machine. What if the machine breaks down during a showing and up comes an error screen? That is the case with Fathom Events which runs off satellite.

jmcr8 on September 3, 2016 at 8:09 am

We have a device in [the projector] called an “image enhancer,” which is like a super computer that’s got the power of about a hundred desktop computers. This device takes the content and manipulates the data to the two projectors to insure we have a pristine image on screen. And just like how we used microphones in the theater to monitor the sound, there is an industrial camera mounted between the two projectors just inside [the theater]. It looks to the screen as your eyes. Again, it’s patent pending and nobody else in the world does this.

We are looking and what you’re looking at and it provides data back to the image enhancer, so we can constantly optimize what’s going on the screen. It all goes back to this concept of preserving quality of presentation and trying to take it a notch higher. We are really excited with this technology. It’s helping us really to take projection technology to the next level.

The image enhancing super computer is inside [a computer standing next to the projector] and it’s collecting data through the image enhancer. We are then connected, via the internet, to these devices. We can do simple things…. We are the only integrated… Sound projection, show automation, show control, are all tied together. So when an operator is having a problem, we can actually dial in. I’ve had a couple of cases where somebody will phone and say, “Well, I tried this and it didn’t work.” Here’s a guy at our end going “Well that’s not quite true. You pushed this button, then you pushed that button, then this button.”

Sounds like projectionists are being made obsolete by the mothership.

hdtv267 on September 3, 2016 at 4:06 am

Hokey Smoke

that’s your first comment?

Quality Assurance one would presume refers to the overall presentation of the “movie” sound, picture quality, 3D, thus and so.

Congratulations on that first one, if that’s any indication- you’ll fit right in here.

jmcr8 on September 2, 2016 at 6:42 pm

xbs2034 on August 18, 2016 at 9:10 am “The IMAX screen is scheduled to close after this weekend, for laser and other improvements (new seats, sound system, quality assurance monitoring system). Their plan is indeed to reopen for the holiday season blockbusters provided there are no delays in construction.”

What does quality assurance monitoring system mean? Low light cameras watching the audience for any hanky panky?

poland626 on August 30, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Reserved seating is great imo, I just think that so far every theater with reserved seating has had an upgrade. Just throwing it into every theater brings expectations people have that AMC has set already with the new seats. People think they may be getting good seats like at AMC 84th street or amc west orange but they’re the same old ones

hdtv267 on August 30, 2016 at 3:24 pm

so what , it requires a bit of planning.

Everyone uses smart phones now a days and there’s enough kiosks in the theatre lobby of this place so people can pre-purchase.

I’d rather have reserved seats- that way if you’re running late you’ve got it. I don’t know of many people anymore who are that spontaneous that they can’t handle it that far in advance, even select standing in line for seats.

I’m a little confused by an above posters comment saying that reserved seating stinks since he seems so obsessed with it.

xbs2034 on August 30, 2016 at 1:51 pm

If you look at Fandango’s list of theaters with reserved seating: it looks like AMC is planning on adding reserved seating to a ton of theaters, including almost all in New York.

I feel that reserved seating has its place, but more for premium offerings like IMAX or the theaters with recliners (which is what AMC was mostly using it for before), and kinda wish on the normal 300 seat screens they just kept it as is since that can turn into a hassle, particularly if you are going to the movie as a last minute thing.

SethLewis on August 30, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Reserved seats are a way of life in the UK…if there is something we are serious about we book it with preferred seats (I like an aisle for my long legs)…Plenty of people go at the last minute…You get used to it…yes it takes the spontaneity and some of the fun out of moviegoing but think that if you can manage a mid-week afternoon show, or wait until Weeks 2 or 3 you pretty much can walk in and enjoy…The screen is reading the seating plans online and not ending up too close…Enjoy!

moviebuff82 on August 30, 2016 at 12:26 pm

That stinks, since picking a seat will be tougher than ever and shows will sell out faster.

ridethectrain on August 30, 2016 at 11:13 am

It was confirmed by ,a,m,c. Empire starting sep 2 reserved seating

macnut222 on August 30, 2016 at 10:48 am

Also, Sully on the 9th, etc. Maybe this is what ‘ridethectrainridethectrain’ was talking about.

hdtv267 on August 30, 2016 at 1:14 am

where? I don’t see it on AMC’s website or Fandango?

ridethectrain on August 29, 2016 at 10:38 pm

AMC is starting soon reserved seating in all screens with regular seats.

hdtv267 on August 27, 2016 at 3:09 pm

sure, when you’re watching a movie in an olde time theatre, like the Bijou Theatre in BugTussle you’ll hear the projector, that’s why Pearl Bodine needs to play so loudly on the pie-any.

I’ve attended different “theaters” inside this complex and never heard a projector once. I’ve heard other noises. Not as bad as some of the noises I would hear on 42nd Street or the theaters on 8th Avenue

markp on August 24, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I loved the sound of the old film projectors. And in my 37 full time years as a projectionist, I never scratched film, even my 12 years in the adult theatres. I cared for the film and kept my projectors spotless.

hdtv267 on August 24, 2016 at 3:43 am

yeah now a days you get to hear people talking loudly, video games, texts and tweets coming in.

I’m not sure what movie theatres you went to, but if I’m hearing the projector, there’s an issue with the sound system

ridethectrain on August 23, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Going to the movies is better than at home. Don’t miss film hearing the sound of the projector, scratches

moviebuff82 on August 23, 2016 at 2:12 pm

The Lincoln Square isn’t what it used to be. Sure, the IMAX makes up the bulk of the moviegoing experience as it is the largest screen in the NYC area and also the busiest. Having the laser projection installed in it will raise the price even further. Not only that, but food prices will increase. I like the old film projection as it is sharper than digital and makes it look like a bluray movie projected on a giant screen. 4k is here to stay at home and 8k is only being used on tall screens for sports arenas and the like. I’m happy with my 1080p 3d tv. heck, the 1080p 2d is better than the 3d.

markp on August 23, 2016 at 10:28 am

I agree with you on all points hdtv267. I might add that as a 40 year veteran projectionist, I personally am not a fan of digital, since it put me out of work 3 years ago, and I could care less about digital imax or laser or anything else. To me its getting all out of control, and going to the movies just isn’t what it use to be. Yes I’m an old fuddy duddy. You can say it.