AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2014 at 2:30 pm

saw the youtube video. Can’t believe this theater will turn 20 later this year…still the best place to see an Imax movie in the NYC tri-state area. I remember going here a few months after it opened to see Across the Sea of Time which was my first Imax 3D movie and enjoyed the presentation. Ticket prices have gone up since then but the Imax is still the same. I never go to the other screens since they show the same stuff as most multiplexes although sometimes they show exclusive engagements before wide release, such as Lone Survivor which is doing gangbusters at the box office this weekend. No wonder why this theater as well as the Ziegfield host big premieres for big movies.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2014 at 5:02 am

same thing happened at amc loews boston common where a burst pipe broke.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on January 5, 2014 at 5:00 am

Evacuation- no direct from AMC Employees- over 4000 guests turned out to a frigid New York City night- this happened at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square.

Here’s the link ( including AMC response and first hand reports) from the Huffington Post.

[if someone can hot link, please feel free]

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Just back from see “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” The IMAX Experience. 15/70mm print. When the games start the screen opened up to full height and remained 4:3 ratio for most the rest of the film. Definitely can tell the difference from when I saw “Gravity” in Digital IMAX. I checked with Guest Services and The Hobbit sequel will be in 15/70mm.

celboy
celboy on November 24, 2013 at 5:01 am

According to the film’s editor— “It was really interesting to go from cutting this almost 4×3 image to have to basically lop the top and the bottom off. They never shot at common-center for the Imax, knowing that I would go back in later and fix it.” – See more at: http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/11/editor-alan-edward-bell-on-the-hunger-games-catching-fire/#sthash.kndyAFAZ.dpuf

So I guess I will try & see it on imax film.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 22, 2013 at 9:37 am

Great news!!! Is the aspect ratio 4:3 in the imax scenes or flat ratio like digital imax? In one of the trailers for the movie at the very end the aspect ratio changes from scope to flat.

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 22, 2013 at 9:03 am

I doubled check today and according to the Customer Service deck, Catching Fire is being presented in the IMAX in 15/70mm.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on November 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Back in October a member had posted that he heard from theatre personnel that Catching Fire and Hobbit sequel were going to be presented on film. That might have changed though for a myriad of reasons.

Not that it helps folks attending here, but let me throw out that it will be showing in 70MM Imax at the Metreon in SF

markp
markp on November 21, 2013 at 3:47 am

I heard earlier this year, don’t know how true it is, that all 15/70 Imax will be gone by mid 2014.

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 19, 2013 at 11:23 am

Disappointment. According to the person I talked with today on the phone The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will be digital on the IMAX screen instead of 15/70mm. So holding off on booking tickets until after the film opens on Thursday and check again to make sure. If this is the case the only IMAX in the area showing the film in 17/70mm is the IMAX in the Palisades Mall in Nyack. And Catching Fire has IMAX shot footage. Does not bode well for The Hobbit sequel. Here is an interesting article I found.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

Atmos was installed in this theater when gravity debuted here. Is it in the loews screen?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 7, 2013 at 9:30 am

Was the picture still larger than the digital fake imax theaters?

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 7, 2013 at 9:24 am

Fantasia 2000 was filmed in IMAX so it had the traditional 1.43:1 ratio. The Lincoln Square IMAX is 97 feet wide so even with ‘Gravity’ not taking up the full width, the picture was still larger than either the Lincoln Square 1 or the Ziegfeld.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 7, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hello-

i saw Gravity in the IMAX Theater this past Sat. at the 11:15 a.m. show and thoroughly enjoyed the sites and sounds of the film. so my question has to do with the theater itself. I am a frequent patron at the Lincoln Square’s regular theaters. now the last time I was in the IMAX theater was February of 2000 when they debuted Disney’s Fantasia 2000. I won’t bet my next paycheck but I am like 99.9% sure that at that visit Fantasia 2000 occupied the entire screen. yet while watching Gravity only the middle say 60% of the screen was being used. now I didn’t take a ruler and measure but the amount of the screen the film occupied seemed no bigger than the screen of the main Loew’s auditorium downstairs or the one at the Zeigfeld. so since it didn’t occupy the entire screen how is it IMAX?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

catching fire was shot in imax, the hobbit not.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on October 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for that update bear. I almost made the pilgrimage to the Lincoln Square for Gravity. Now I’m happy I didn’t. Maybe for Hobbit when I made my Christmas visit. Thanks again.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

How is the imax dlp in this theater compared to rockaway?

celboy
celboy on October 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I thought thats what I saw when I walked up the aisle stairs. Thanks for the investigating. I remember watching the imax countdown trailer and was curious why it wasn’t full screen width.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm

The sad day has happened sooner than I thought it would. Went to see ‘Gravity’ this afternoon and it was DLP. AMC has added Digital IMAX projectors at this location. The 15/70mm equipment is still in place. A chat with the management after the film stated that unless they wanted to show ‘Elysium’ to empty houses until ‘Catching Fire’ they had to add Digital. But the plans are to show ‘Catching Fire’ and ‘The Hobbit’ sequel on prints. I know something was up when the presentation was a mess though the previews with large gaps of times. I would assume with Digital they don’t need to employee a projectionist for those engagements. I should have assumed something was up when ‘The Wizard of Oz’ and the Metallica film were booked for one week. When I got to the Customer Service digital copies of bot films were sitting on the counter. LOL. BTW only about 2/3 of the screen was used. The picture for ‘Gravity’ was not as big as the letter boxed picture of ‘Elysium. I was told that they plan on replacing the Digital equipment with the new Laser Projection when it becomes available.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on October 3, 2013 at 10:49 am

Actually, there’s a sliding scale of pricing depending upon what time you attend.

I know the shows earlier in the day are a bit less expensive. Your best bet to figure out what works out best for you , would probably be to check out Fandango’s website or AMC’s. The pricing and times for the shows are listed there.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

Hello Again-

thanks for the info about the price for a 3-D IMAX film at Lincoln Square. most good old regular 2-D films aren’t worth the price theaters in Manhattan are asking so I doubt the vast majority of 3-D IMAX films are worth the hyped up price. “Avatar” released Dec. of 2009 was the juggernaut for the current stampede of 3-D films. here’s the kicker- since “Avatar” countless 3-D films have been released and in a grand total of exactly 2 count ‘em two films has the 3-D actually furthed the storytelling process- “Hugo” and “Life of Pi”.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

What movie has stayed the longest at this theater? I say titanic.

celboy
celboy on October 3, 2013 at 8:52 am

$21.50 plus a $2.00 fandango fee if you can’t get to the theatre.