Showing 26 - 34 of 34 comments
CConnelly: The Men’s Lounge on the lower level was restored back to its 1930’s look. The mural on the wall, “Men without Women” by Stuart Davis was brought back from Museum of Modern Art, where its was sent to in the early 1970’s.
The Grand Lounge was always that size, although for a number of years, previous management used the space near the elevators to display artifacts from the Music Hall’s past.
The Park Theatre is currently operated as a 5 screen multi-plex.
RobertR: The Music Hall was a bit more unique than most theatres. Its multiple box offices could be set up to sell for particular areas of the auditorium. The first mezzanine was the only part that was reserve seating.
CConnolly: the stair flanking the downstairs box office most likely went to the the Museum of Science & Industry, that occupied the space during the 1930’s. The museum space was designed the fill in the was thought to be non-profit making interior space at that end of the RCA Building, actually the RCA Building West.
The passageway from the concourse to the Lower Lounge of Radio City Music Hall most likely has a corresponding passageway theat lead into the lower level of the old Center Theatre. All of the buildings in Rockefeller Center were connected by the concourse.
RobertR: Before computerized box offices, we did stop selling tickets and did a count of tickets sold for that show. Once we knew the count, we knew how much more we could sell. We never actually sold out an auditorium. We always stop selling with about 50 seats left. These were usually the seats in the first two rows. Peopel did not want to crain their necks to watch the movie. Also, we never sold every seat beacuse in the summertime, no amount of air conditions will cool down an auditorium filled to capacity. The same in the winter, as it it would become very stuffy. Even today, most computerized box office will cut off selling tickest when they reach a certain number of tickets sold.
This box office was once intended for use by the Music Hall. The idea was guests coming in via the the new 6th Avenue Subway would proceed directly to this box office. Directly opposite, behind a wall, is the old concourse entrance to the Music Hall. In the old day when movioe & stage show was the norm at the Music Hall, this was the entrance used by large groups. The old Rockefeller Center tour used to enter the theater via this entrance,
The building was not demolished, but the interior was gutted for retail space. Michael’s Craft Store is in the space now.
The single screen was twinned by an addition to the east side of the building. Both the original auditorium and the addition where later split down the middle creating a quad.
The Nautica store has closed and is being replaced by a make-your-teddy-bear store. The building, the former Associated Press Building, was landmarked by the city, which included the exterior features of the old theatre. The re-creation of the old screen curtain can still be seen through the shop windows.
The theatre was operated by General Cinema, not Cineplex Odeon. Cineplex Odeons opened the new theatre within the rebuilt mall. The orginal theatre opened in 1960 with a reserved seat engagement of SPARTACUS. The twinning split the auditorium in half, so each side had balcony seating. After the twinning, 70mm was only available in one auditorium. We played INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM on both screens – one side in 35mm and the other in 70mm.
I was the manager that closed the theatre.