New Yorker Theatre

2409 Broadway,
New York, NY 10024

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on March 13, 2004 at 8:04 am

I will forever associate this theatre with the American commercial premiere showing of Luchino Visconti’s masterful 1948 LA TERRA TREMA, not shown in the U.S. until 1965. On October 12th I went to the Vatican Pavilion at World’s Fair in the afternoon, the New Yorker that evening. So I saw Michelangelo’s Pieta' and Visconti’s LA TERRA TREMA for the first time in one day! I was overwhelmed by the film, the magnificent uncut print that was shown. I was a frequent visitor to the New Yorker and had a great deal of respect for Dan Talbot, who ran it. He should be canonized for the work he did with that theatre.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 7, 2004 at 8:10 am

I believe that the name of this theatre was just New Yorker, not The New Yorker. The New Yorker is the name and registered trademark of a weekly magazine, and has been for many decades.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 7, 2004 at 7:51 am

As the Adelphi, the theatre had 1,039 seats. When re-opened as the Yorktown, the seating capacity was reported as 955, which is probably what it remained for the New Yorker. The name of Daniel Talbot deserves to be mentioned as the founder of the New Yorker. His policy of reviving Hollywood and foreign movies that hadn’t been seen for years started a national trend. He was so successful that in 1965 he started New Yorker Films to distribute foreign and independently-made movies. His involvement in that company was probably why he sold the New Yorker to Walter Reade. Talbot later returned to exhibition with the current Lincoln Plaza Cinemas at 1886 Broadway.

Stephen Paley
Stephen Paley on December 13, 2003 at 5:56 pm

After the Roxy was razed in 1960, some of it’s very plush and comfortable seats were moved to this theater.

Sophie
Sophie on August 21, 2002 at 6:27 am

It was in the New Yorker lobby that Woody Allen pulled Marshall McLuhan from behind a billboard in Annie Hall.

Jean
Jean on August 21, 2002 at 5:12 am

I stand corrected. My brother tells me it was formerly the “YORKTOWN”. ( Yorkville is an area on the east side, where such lumineries as Cagney and the Marx Bros. grew up. )

Jean
Jean on August 20, 2002 at 5:12 pm

The area above the marquee held a huge iron circle surrounding Diana the Huntress and her hound. It later toppled on to the marquee during a horific storm and remained there until the theater was demolished to make way for a highrise.