Bellerose Theater

245-14 Jericho Turnpike,
Floral Park, NY 11001

forty9nash
forty9nash on September 28, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Kitnoir? Can you e-mail that photo of the bellerose movie from 1978? My e-mail is Thanks!

Steve…..

forty9nash
forty9nash on September 28, 2009 at 5:50 pm

You’re right.The good humor trucks were on braddock. The tracks i walked went to van buren to the right. To the left was the good humer plant and train depot. I’d LOVE to have any photo’s from back then!!!

robboehm on September 28, 2009 at 5:19 pm

What I’d like to see is a photo of the original marquee, that big boxy affair with hundreds of yellow incandescent running lights and the red and orange in the front.

Of course a ‘78 photo would be nice because the new marquee would not have been trashed by that truck.

BoxOfficeGirl
BoxOfficeGirl on September 28, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Nash, I thought the Good Humour Trucks were on Braddock Avenue. I remember going by a parking lot of them on my way to Van Buren (ugh!).

BTW, I have a picture of the profile of the theatre from around ‘78.

robboehm on June 27, 2009 at 6:07 am

I was just looking at so many. Search Long Island Rail Road History, it’s full of stuff and then just keep looking at all the LIRR entries that follow. You may never get back to Cinema Treasures again.

forty9nash
forty9nash on June 26, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Can you post the link to that site here or maybe e-mail the link?

robboehm on June 26, 2009 at 7:39 pm

There are plenty of Long Island RR photo and data online including information on when the Creedmoor Line was discontinued.

robboehm on June 25, 2009 at 6:19 am

There’s alot of LIRR stuff online including a list of stations past and present and the last dates of service. There are all sorts of pictures. As a result of your earlier comment alluding to the Creedmoor spur I was looking at them last night.

forty9nash
forty9nash on June 24, 2009 at 4:44 pm

The coal yard was right next to the good humor factory i think. I remember walking to school (Martin van buren) on the tracks. I could have walked those tracks for miles. I loved it.I love anything train related.I wish i had lived in one of those homes where the train went through there backyard.The last train to go through my area was around 1965 i think. If anyone has any photo’s to share i’d love to see them.

robboehm on June 24, 2009 at 6:10 am

Boy Nash you’re really going back on the train. I remember crossing over the tracks as a short cut to my confirmation classes at Holy Trinity Lutheran on Commonwealth Blvd. The third rail was already disabled then and I never recall seeing any freight service to the coal yard. That was in the late 40s.

forty9nash
forty9nash on June 23, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Anyone remember kent cleaners.It was right near the old A&P. How about the old american gas station where the bank is now where you get off jamaca ave to braddock blvd? And wasn’t there a train that went right through peoples backyards? I remember as a kid seeing it cross the cross island service road going to creedmoore. Any one have any photo’s of them?

Steve

robboehm on June 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I remember the one cashier very well. She was tall, attractive and had a luxurious head of dark hair worn in the Andrew Sisters' style of the day. Story was she was a single mom with two sons, a widow, or heaven forbid, a divorcee. The ticket takers all looked alike, tall and old in those heavy military looking uniforms.

robboehm on June 7, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I remember a promo they had geared to grammar school children at Floral Park – Bellerose School, and, probably its Queens County equivalent at the time King Solomon’s Mines was showing. We all, somehow, received long, narrow colored paper good for a free admission at some given show – if we had the right color. In restrospect these were probably ½ of an 8 ½ x 11 to keep costs down. We all lined up in front of the theatre and way around the side of the building on 246th street (odd, in the evening if there was a line it faced the other way to 245th Street). Anyway the winning “color” was white and there were darned few of those in evidence.

robboehm on June 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I believe the theatre was closed during the depression and only reopened at the end of WWII. I have a vague recollection of my father saying that during the depression he could have purchased the building for $8,000.

robboehm on June 4, 2009 at 1:31 pm

There were no observable structural changes since the procenium was already very wide. I remember, vaguely, that the curtains opened wider after the installation. This was a theatre where they always used the curtains, often to great theatrical effect.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 4, 2009 at 6:43 am

If the Bellerose had to close down for the installation of CinemaScope, it must have required some major architectural changes. Most theatres installed their new wide screens overnight, without closing for even a day. It was probably not a “CinemaScope screen” per see, but one that could handle whatever process a film was projected in. It would also have had adjustable masking for any films shot in standard ratio. Many theatres were showing them “blown-up.” while others were not.

robboehm on June 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm

The Bellerose also reopened after they did a Cinamascope installation. I believe “The Robe” was the first attraction. The Bellerose being a very wide theatre with a wide proscenium had one of the largest screens out there. In it’s last years the Bellerose was closed as the local dollar house with the honors going to the Floral. It then reopened as the local dollar house a short time later. I’m sure the reason was location. Jamaica Av/Jericho Tpk, Braddock Av and the Cross Island Parkway.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 2, 2009 at 1:58 pm

This was apparently renovated in 1945 and re-opened “glamorously” on Thanksgiving Day as the New Bellerose Theatre, according to advertising in the Long Island Press. An address of 245-18 Jamaica Avenue was provided. The inaugural program was a subsequent-run “The House on 92nd Street” & “Divorce.” Curiously, the New Bellerose was described as “the 37th link in Century’s Chain of Theatres,” even though Century had been operating it for years.

Bway
Bway on April 16, 2009 at 9:39 am

Obviously it was already closed to movies by 1987?

robboehm on April 15, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Boy a lot is missing since the first installation of this “new” marquee. At the point of the wedge was “a century theatre”. There were also two “arms” atop this which supported yet another wedge which had a bank of horizontal neon lights which, when first installed “chased”. Subsequently no. And the neons around the sign boards have also been covered over. When did this atrocity take place. I suspect some of it is related to when they widened Jericho Tpke / Jamaica Av and added the island in the center. This meant that the front of the marquee probably extended in “striking” range. As part of the widening the Floral lost it’s old marquee and vertical and the signboard was placed on the face of the bujilding.

robboehm on April 10, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Still waiting for somebody to find and post photos of the theatre when it was. It would be nice to see the original (which stylistically was similar to the Community, which for some reason is not listed in Queen Village, but Queens), and the later wedged shaped one No takers on my clock trivia question? I think it was a jewelers in Queens Village.

BoxOfficeGirl
BoxOfficeGirl on February 22, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Nah, I’m not criticizing you guys, that’s just my opinion of the article. You’re quite safe, Greg! :> I wonder what the owners of the Floral Park Motor Lodge think of this competition. I remember when it was a senior citizens home.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on February 22, 2009 at 2:15 pm

As bad as you may think the article is, it’s exactly what is happening. It’s all about money today. It doesn’t matter if there is a historic place there. Same with the bowling alley. They can get more money with something else in it’s place. It’s not going to change.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on February 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Kitnoir,

Here you’ve got a newspaper about as biased and far to the left as one can go – writing about the (arguably) most conservative neighborhood in NYC. If you didn’t see the tone of the article coming, then I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

And before you come gunning for me, note that I am troubled ONLY by the prospect of another hotel.