Showing 801 - 825 of 1,361 comments
By the mid-1970’s,this theater went from showing first-run features to second-run films and “B” movies in order to keep afloat(most of them grindhouse, kung-fu, and blaxploitation films,and the occasional “XXX” rated midnight showings on Friday and Saturday nights). It remained that way until the theater’s closing in 1982. It has since been demolished.
The Premiere Attraction for the Cardinal Theater’s grand opening in 1971 “SKIN GAME” was gone within a week. This was a horrible way to open a movie with one of the worst James Garner films ever made.
The Following Week,it was definitely replaced by a slew of exclusive engagement MGM Classics(all were presented in 70MM)from “Doctor Zhivago” to “Ben-Hur”, “ 2001”,
and “Gone With The Wind”.
WILD is an understatement for this theatre!
Steven Spielburg’s “E.T.” got the exclusive engagement showing at this theatre on June 11,1982. It was the only theatre within the entire town of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County where it played!
Wild is an understatement for this theatre. A lot of hardcore flicks played here…from “Boyz In The Hood”,to “New Jack City”, “Friday”, “Menace II Society”,and “Set It Off”.
1974-1986 Stewart and Everett Corporation
1986-2000 Carmike Cinemas
Did PLANET OF THE APES played here too?
It opened in 1972 as a single screen theater with a seating capacity of 700. By mid-1974,it was twinned by splitting the original auditorium into two sections making for shoebox size auditoriums with smaller screens.
CORRECTION ON THE ADDRESS:The address for the Parkway Theatre needs to be:1183 Silas Creek Parkway,Winston-Salem,NC 27127.
NOT: 1130 which needs to be corrected.
This theatre played a lot of Elvis Presley films since they had access to the Elvis films that were released under MGM and Paramount during the 1960’s.
This theatre was open and showing first-run movies in 1967. My uncle saw Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger in “IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT” first-run at this theatre in February of 1968.
This theatre was still showing first-run films and “B” movies by 1970 before it close in 1971.
The Paramount was open and still was showing first-run movies during the 1960’s until it’s closing in 1971.
It was demolished in 1972. At the time of it’s closing,the Paramount and the Carolina were gone,leaving the Center Theatre as the only cinema located in Downtown High Point. The Center was still showing first-run features until it close in 1981,leaving the only movie theater standing in all of Downtown High Point.
There were two J.C. Penney stores that were the largest on the East Coast,mainly in the South.
Clover Mall was one that opened in 1972….
The one that was the largest in the South was the Penney’s at North Hills in Raleigh that opened in 1966.
Coate: From the previous comment about this theater;
“Cineplex Odeon did not exist in 1982,so you have cited the wrong company or the wrong year.”
In 1982,this theater was owned and operated under Plitt Southern Theatres,which basically owned and operated a LOT a movie theaters in the South during part of the early-1980’s,and it remained that way until Cineplex Odeon bought them around 1987 or 1988.
All of the movie theaters in the Southeast around the Carolinas or Virginia were under Plitt Southern Theatres,and it wasn’t until Cineplex Odeon took over the operations of the Cloverleaf Mall Cinemas until 1987.
You’re right about one thing Coate: Cineplex Odeon didn’t operated any theaters until 1982,and this was in the Midwest states where Cineplex Odeon was first established.
This theatre got a lot of Disney product too.
Basically a lot of Disney re-releases played here.
June 12,1981….RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK played here at the Eutaw Twin first-run
The Varsity was twinned in 1983 when it was under Janus Theatres. Before that The Varsity was basically a single screen operation from 1952 until 1983,under H.B. Meiselman Theatres/Eastern Federal Corporation.
From 1983 until 2009,The Varsity Twin(aka The Varsity 1 & 2) showcase all of the independent/foreign,and first-run features until it changed hands in 2009,and became a second-run discount cinema.
From the previous comment:
“Back To The Future” was NEVER shown in 70MM in the Carolinas. Raleigh’s The Valley Twin was only presented in the DOBLY STEREO format.
At one time,the Varsity and the Chelsea along with the Carolina were the only movie houses in Chapel Hill that screened a showcase of independent,foreign and first-run films.
The Carolina Theater,once a staple of Downtown Chapel Hill closed it’s doors in 2005.
The Varsity Theater became a second-run discount house in 2009 after it change management. It also will run special features and some vintage Hollywood classic movies. At one time was an glitzy art house cinema.
The Chelsea located on the Northern end of the city at Timberlyne Center,opened it’s doors in 1990 as a twin cinema,and later on expanded to a triple screen operation.The Chelsea is the ONLY movie theater in all of Chapel Hill that shows art-house films and independent features,not to mention first-run features that is a great alternative to the megaplex Regal Timberlyne 6 which is across the street from Timberlyne Shopping off Banks Drive and Weaver Dairy Road.
The Village Plaza located off East Franklin Street at Elliott Road opened in 1970 as a twin cinema,and was a three screen cinema in 1973,and later on in the 1990’s expanded to five screens until it’s closing in 2003. Was demolished in 2006. The lot where the cinema once stood is now a public park.
THE EXORCIST played here first-run in 1974.
The Terrace Theatre was Central North Carolina’s only “Ultravision” Theatre when it opened on May 29,1969 with the Clint Eastwood-Richard Burton thriller “Where Eagles Dare”. The Terrace was one of several “Ultra Vision” Theatres that was under the Wilby-Kincey theatre chain in the mid-1960’s and then under ABC Theatres during the 1970’s and later it was part of Plitt Southern Theatres. It remained a single screen theatre under the mid-1980’s when it was twinned until it’s closing in 1991,last operated under Cineplex Odeon.
MY FAIR LADY was one of the exclusive engagement showing that played at the Miracle on June 1,1966.
A lot of the Warner Brothers product got first-run billing at this theatre.
The theatre was still around during the 1970’s when it was an ADULT theatre showing X-rated films. It closed in 1979.
This was also under during the mid-1960’s and throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s under Charlotte-based Eastern Federal Corporation.
From the August 13,1956 edition of the Fayetteville Observer:
At the height of it’s grand opening the initial performances of “The Eddy Duchin Story” were open to the public with a special section reserved for invited guests.
Daily Performances after the grand opening begin at 11:00am and will have continuous showings throughout.
Each Saturday,a special “Kids Show” will be featured at 9:00am that will have chapter serials and color cartoons.
There is a special section at the time of it’s opening that was reserved for minorities. The colored entrance is on the Franklin Street Side of the arcade where separate rest rooms,lounge,and concession stand are provided in regard to the Jim Crow laws at the time. This policy was taken down by 1964 at the height of the Civil Rights Movement.
The Miracle was one of 19 theatres under H.B, Meiselman who also operated the Fox, Raleigh Road, and the Flamingo Drive-In Theatres.