AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Does the THX-certified Loews house still use SDDS-8 anymore? The last SDDS-8 movie was Surf’s Up nearly 5 years ago. The one thing I liked about SDDS-8 in some theaters in NJ (like in secaucus and clifton commons and Wayne) is the five channel directional dialouge (also used for music and some sound effects) alongside the two rear surround speakers. What was the first theater in NYC to use SDDS-8?

Giles
Giles on May 7, 2012 at 3:53 am

sadly ‘Into the Arctic’ is not one of the better IMAX documentary films – the 3D photography is hit and miss as is the movie itself. $9, the price I saw it at, was four dollars too much if you ask me – twenty bucks… highway robbery

John Fink
John Fink on May 7, 2012 at 2:32 am

They’re also showing Into The Arctic – a short subject IMAX doc for the same low price as the 3-hour 3D epic Titanic…. $20 for an adult ticket. Into the Arctic runs 45 minutes. Oh AMC, always providing great value – from a $20 short film to a rewards card you have to pay for.

Back to The Avengers – – my guess is there aren’t any 15/70 IMAX runs, that its just D-Imax. It appears IMAX is selective in what it releases for the 15/70 runs, Dark Shadows coming out next week appears to be a 15/70 MM run – so perhaps they’ve committed to play it. (The IMAX at Palisades is also film based last I saw and isn’t showing Avengers in 3D either, but advertises Dark Shadows next week)

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on May 7, 2012 at 1:23 am

Following link. Thank you!

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 7, 2012 at 1:07 am

I would love to think that stupid comic book movies just don’t work on the upper west side, but deep inside I know it’s probably not true.

RJEvans
RJEvans on May 7, 2012 at 12:36 am

I’m quite surprised that The Avengers in IMAX is not playing at this theater. I assuming this is a result of prior contractual agreements for other films. I sure hope The Hobbit makes its way here. I refuse to view an IMAX film anywhere except at Lincoln Square.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Bigjoe59… A digital version of “Titanic” is being shown at the 34th Street. Press a button and you could play an 8 hour film straight through, if you have the memory capacity in the hard drive. With actual film, there is a limit to the amount of footage that can be held in the platter (which is massive and weighs a ton, by the way). An intermission was placed at a reasonable point in the film to allow the changeover at the Lincoln Square IMAX.

mhvbear
mhvbear on May 2, 2012 at 1:02 am

Because the Lincoln Square Imax is the real deal and is using 70mm film.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hello-

i saw TITANIC in Imax 3-D at the 34 St.Multiplex. it was shown without an intermission which it never had. why would the Lincoln Square show it with an intermission?

ErikH
ErikH on May 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

“Titanic” is currently being shown in the Lincoln Square IMAX auditorium in what the NY Times advertisements refer to as a “Special 70MM Engagement” (the “Titanic” reissue is being exhibited at other local IMAX theaters but apparently not in this format). I went last night and was highly impressed; 70MM IMAX 3D was a truly immersive experience. The film was presented with a 15 minute intermission; the break occurred shortly after the iceberg collision. Music from the film played during the intermission—-just like the old roadshow days. I assume the reason for the intermission was technical —– the maximum running time for films projected in IMAX is 170 minutes and “Titanic” exceeds 3 hours.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 17, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Surprisingly, The Hunger Games won’t be shown in IMAX next weekend but they’ll have it in digital.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I heard in the news that Imax will team up with Barco to develop advance Laser projection technology that bankrupt Kodak is helping Imax with. Come 2013, no more film-based projection at Imax, which makes it easier for film delivery truck people to carry just a hard drive to the theater.

TorstenAdair
TorstenAdair on January 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm

This theater has spoiled me on IMAX. Many other theaters in the city have retro-fitted IMAX systems into their theaters, but why pay extra money for an IMAX movie if it’s being projected onto a regular screen?

If I want to treat myself, it’s this screen, or the Ziegfeld.

Also, the history above needs to be updated to reflect the change from Sony to Loews to AMC. I suspect they’ve updated their projection systems as well.

Also, with the large number of commercial IMAX films (as contrasted with the educational fare seen a few blocks north at AMNH), the screen is now exclusively IMAX only, with no late-night screenings of “regular” movies.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 11, 2012 at 11:57 pm

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm

not to mention six-track dolby stereo!!!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I Sure wish they would do away with this 3-D crap and bring back 70MM. I would pay extra for 70MM

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 10, 2012 at 1:39 am

Is Dark Knight to be shown here in digital projection or 70mm?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 10, 2012 at 12:54 am

advance tickets now on sale for Dark Knight Rises IMAX midnight showings. Get em while they last!!!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Looks like the spam account is gone. BTW, if you go to the viral site for Dark Knight rises, which is operationearlybird.com, this theater is showing a 10 p.m. private screening of the prologue on the 13th before being shown with MI:IV the following weekend. Tickets are limited.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 6, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Ed, I’ve alerted the site masters as to the spam.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Annacrasto is a spam account.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 2, 2011 at 12:46 am

December 16th is when the new footage will be shown before MI4 exclusively at this and other IMAX 70mm theaters.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm

This theater is one of many 70mm IMAX Screens that will preview the new Dark Knight rises prologue that will be shown only with 70mm IMAX prints of Mission Impossible, Ghost Protocol. In 2013, the IMAX theater will use digital laser technology created by IMAX with help from money losing Eastman Kodak, which is undergoing a major restructuring. 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of this landmark theater.

Tinseltoes