AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Cliffs
Cliffs on January 4, 2016 at 2:39 am

I’ve seen Hateful 8 in both 70mm and DCP. Care to guess which one looked better? (I’ll give you a hint… it WASN’T the 70mm, which had various focus, dirt, and stability issues- none of which were present on the much sharper/more detailed/more stable DCP)

Digital acquisition and projection is improving every single year. Film is exactly the same as it’s been for decades. I love film for nostalgic reasons, but the MASSIVE improvements that digital has seen in only about a decade of existence is why it’s the future. 35mm release prints are the rough equivalent of about 2K, so 4K digital projection (and especially when you start to introduce laser and HDR/DolbyVison) are already superior to film on the majority of releases. And Arri has already released a 65mm 6K digital Alexa, so even 65/70mm film is getting lapped by digital acquisition. Film’s days are numbered and instead of calling out people as laser/digital apologists, try to understand that these improvements in digital are only going to continue to equal/surpass film as time goes on. Rigidly gripping onto 35 and 70mm film means keeping the technological advances of movie making stagnant and less than it could/should be. This isn’t 2002 when Lucas was shooting Attack of the Clones at 1080p. We’re way past that. Try to keep up.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 3, 2016 at 11:06 pm

It’s because of people like you that they’re trying to get rid of film once and for all, to replace it with digital garbage just because it’s cheaper. Good thing we still have those directors who prefer film, unlike you.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 3, 2016 at 10:50 pm

I knew you’d be the laser/digital apologist. Nothing yet looks better than 70mm film.

digital3d
digital3d on January 3, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Film projection might have a higher resolution than laser BUT as many filmmakers have said too, contrast and brightness can matter much more than resolution AND 70mm gets worse with each screening (scratches and stuff) AND film takes more hours to set up AND film is basically obsolete with modern cameras and projectors AND 70mm prints are extremely expensive and messy.

So I’m kinda glad we get the laser which will finally fill up the screen again for EVERY movie.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 3, 2016 at 1:34 pm

@xbs2034 I’m so glad Deadpool will be in IMAX 2D, but I’m bummed out that BvS and Civil War will most likely be only in IMAX 3D at Lincoln Square, just like Star Wars. At least they will be in IMAX 3D with Laser. I really hope they install that Laser projector at Licoln Square before Deadpool comes out.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 3, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Spire is right. IMAX Laser can do 1.43:1 just like IMAX 70mm. I think Laser will take over film in the future. IMAX 70mm still has a higher resolution than Laser. This Laser stuff is an excuse to get rid of film projection once and for all.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 3, 2016 at 1:20 pm

@moviebuff82 Yup! That’s what I like about those directors. They know film is better than digital.

Spire
Spire on January 3, 2016 at 9:54 am

@celboy The IMAX Laser projectors are indeed capable of projecting at 1.43:1, using vertical anamorphic lenses. Reports I have read suggest that for IMAX Laser shows of SW7, the Jakku sequence is presented in 1.43:1.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 3, 2016 at 8:01 am

@ACS12 Deadpool is a 2D only release, then BvS is in 3D but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are also 2D IMAX showings (WB has often done that with pictures like In the Heart of the Sea, The Hobbit, and most directly Man of Steel having both 2D and 3D IMAX showings), though Civil War may only be available in IMAX 3D based on Marvel Studios release history.

IMAX has always said there is a place for both 2D and 3D (how I feel as well), so I don’t expect anything to change with laser regarding that.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 3, 2016 at 6:21 am

And some of them are shot in IMAX, like Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Intersteller, and his upcoming movie Dunkirk. He is a huge fan of filming stuff in that format. Quentin Tarantino also shoots stuff in 2d too and prefers film to digital. Hence that his latest work was shot in 65mm for 70mm release before a nationwide rollout in a shorter digital version.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 2, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. This 3D fad is just a ploy to overcharge people. Ever since Avatar came out, that’s when they decided to release every freaking movie in 3D, even if they weren’t shot in 3D. It was good for Avatar, but not for every single movie. This is why I like Christopher Nolan. He’s not a fan of this post-converted 3D crap either. He releases all his movies in 2D.

digital3d
digital3d on January 2, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I meant it probably is 3D since that’s the commercial way to got, not that I personally would insist on 3D.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 2, 2016 at 8:54 pm

“Nah, that stuff should all be 3D” – No it shouldn’t. I hate fake 3D. IMAX 2D is way better.

digital3d
digital3d on January 2, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Nah, that stuff should all be 3D. But that should also improve with laser since the brightness and the colors should be better with laser and that I kind of struggle with when I watch 3D. With 3D e everything just seems darker, so laser might change that.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 2, 2016 at 8:13 pm

“They are going to close the IMAX somewhere next week and then reopen with laser for Deadpool. So after Deadpool everything should be laser. But that’s just what I heard, they might change schedule.”

This makes me happy to hear. I hope it’s true. I want to watch Deadpool, Batman v Superman and Civil War in 2D, though. Don’t like wearing glasses to watch a movie (unless that movie was filmed with 3D cameras, such as Avatar). But something tells me every movie with Laser will be in 3D.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 2, 2016 at 7:36 pm

You act like I didn’t know that already, waterguy. AMC Licoln Square used to have an IMAX 70mm projector, but they stupidly took it away to replace it with the Laser one, right before Star Wars was going to come out. They couldn’t get the permits and shit completed in time, so they had no other choice to show it in digital. They’re wasting all that screen on digital garbage. That huge screen was made for IMAX 70mm film.

celboy
celboy on January 2, 2016 at 6:45 pm

thanks for the confirmation of your imax sw7 experiences. I am curious about the laser imax sw7 shows. I think they are similar to “regular digital imax” except they are 4k projectors and better color & blacks. I am waiting to hear if it is 1.4 AR for the Jakku sequence but I ’m thinking its 1.9. The chip shape (1.9) in laser hasn’t changed …just the resolution.. so am wondering if a secondary vertical anamorphic lens is how they will display legacy imax off the laser projectors. I found that info here: http://www.lfexaminer.com/formats.htm

digital3d
digital3d on January 2, 2016 at 4:12 pm

@waterguy: They are going to close the IMAX somewhere next week and then reopen with laser for Deadpool. So after Deadpool everything should be laser. But that’s just what I heard, they might change schedule.

Also, as much as I know, laser is also digital. Just different projector, but still digital files I think.

BTW, if you wanna check out something close to laser, AMC Empire 25 has a laser in their AMC prime theater.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on January 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Every IMAX theater in NYC is digital, that’s why. Only the 70mm IMAX is the real IMAX(I believe it only exists in museums now). Laser IMAX is good as well. Only 70mm and Laser can do 1:1.44 which fill up the entire screen. Digital can only display 2.35 or 1.85.correct me if I’m wrong.

ACS12
ACS12 on January 1, 2016 at 7:09 am

@celboy – No it didn’t fill up the whole screen left to right. It was LieMAX. I can confirm that. Even the IMAX sequence still had black bars on all sides. I thought only the trailers were gonna be like that, but it turned out that the movie would be like that as well. I was so disappointed.

The IMAX scene on Jakku was basically a windowed 1.85 aspect ratio in the middle of the huge screen. Beyond lame and pathetic. I really wanted to watch this movie in IMAX 15/70 2D, but couldn’t as I live in New York. I also hate fake 3D (post-converted 3D). Those glasses were really starting to bother me. I wanted to take them off so badly.

It pisses me off how they promote this as “AN IMAX 3D EXPERIENCE” when it’s really not. They must think all of the moviegoers are stupid. They are robbing people.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on December 30, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Celboy, I haven’t seen the film in IMAX (seen it in Real D first, then Dolby Cinema), but people who’ve seen it confirmed that the Jakku action sequence is the only IMAX sequence in the movie.

Then based on IMAX digital at Lincoln Sq, it will not fill the screen on the sides nor will there be any expansion that way for the whole movie. There will be a vertical expansion in the IMAX scene, but still will be some empty space on top and bottom of screen.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and In the Heart of the Sea at this IMAX, and they used the same expanded image vs. a typical 2.35 film (for parts of Guardians, and the total of Sea), but still were windowboxed.

celboy
celboy on December 30, 2015 at 6:44 pm

How was SW7 framing? Did it fill up the screen left to right? Was the falcon desert scene the only thing that wasn’t 2.39? Did that fill top to bottom?

waterguy56
waterguy56 on December 30, 2015 at 5:20 pm

moviebuff82, I believe only the 70mm version of TH8 is shown in this theater, currently.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on December 30, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Watched the SW7 here today and saw the posters of the finest hour, deadpool and divergent. Seems like they are going to show these three movies from february to mid march, but how can they install the laser IMAX before BVS? :((((((((((

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on December 29, 2015 at 11:55 am

The Hateful Eight is in theatre 2 in 70MM. Star wArs is in theatre 1 loews in real3d dolby atmos