AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,250 comments

bigjoe59 on November 23, 2017 at 1:24 pm

I thank Al A. for his reply. but there is one equation I guess you would call it that I still don’t understand. I can’t tell you how many big highly promoted films I’ve seen on opening weekend where the auditorium was rather sparsely filled. and when I hear the film had a BIG opening weekend I go Where? then when I see a big highly promoted film on opening weekend and the auditorium is packed I expect the film to have a huge opening weekend but it flops. I don’t get it.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 20, 2017 at 3:16 pm

bigjoe59, the studio announced an expected $110 million opening. That figure was low based on other recent Batman films opening at results much higher than that. The resulting $94 million opening is therefore considered a ‘stumble’.

bigjoe59 on November 20, 2017 at 3:01 pm

I thank moviebuff82 for your reply. I thought it was a wayyyyy better film than either MOS or BVS so go figure. but I don’t the audience size/opening weekend numbers. I have seen big highly promoted films here where right before the film actually begins I can tell there are very few people in the auditorium. so I figure the opening weekend will be on the downside yet it makes a truckload of $$$. likewise I have seen big highly promoted films here where the auditorium was packed and the crowd waiting for the next showing was substantial yet the film had a disappointing opening weekend. I don’t get it.

moviebuff82 on November 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Not good word of mouth.

bigjoe59 on November 20, 2017 at 11:46 am

a question. I liked Justice League wayyyyyyyyy better than Warner’s first two films in its reboot of the Superman franchise- Man of Steel and Superman vs Batman: Dawn of Justice. in fact the auditorium I saw it in was maybe not sold out but rather well filled. the crowd in the waiting area for the next show was a damn good size too. so Mon. morning when I read in a Yahoo news blurb that the film “stumbled” I was surprised considering the two crowds noted above. then this morning I read the opening weekend was $96 mil. how is that “stumbling”?

Giles on November 20, 2017 at 10:54 am

the ‘Justice League’ denotation on imdb is wrong, it’s 1.85 on the DCP, the IMAX ‘DCP’ and the 70mm print.

leowtyx on November 20, 2017 at 9:15 am

@xbs2034, Dolby does have good projectors, but my concerns is they mess with the original movie sounds. Making them louder and more “buzzing”.

FYI, I heard that some directors adjust their sound at IMAX Laser screenings.

@everyone, I just saw Justice League both at AMC Citywalk (IMAX Laser on True IMAX Screen) and TCL Chinese (IMAX Laser on Scope screen), I notice they seem to be shown with same ratio around 1.89:1.

And since Justice League is 2.35:1 (on imdb), does that means they crop out the sides?! What the heck!?

alpinedownhiller on November 19, 2017 at 7:01 pm

(oddly, the AMC that was doing super well with those re-releases, sometimes all but selling out their 300+ seat, 56' screen auditorium, way far out in the NJ suburbs, seems to have had recently had AMC pull the classic release series from them and now AMC seems to be mostly showing in the tiny theaters and ones where the series did not do half (or even, at times, 1/10th) as well, baffling and annoying decision)

alpinedownhiller on November 19, 2017 at 6:57 pm

@bigjoe59 – part of it is just 20th anniversary. Lots of movies have been getting a re-release for some anniversary. Just over the last year they have given semi-wide release to titles like: The Godfather, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, The Princess Bride, Dirty Dancing, Carousel, Pretty In Pink, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, E.T., Blade Runner and so on.

xbs2034 on November 19, 2017 at 7:53 am

Basically Dolby Vision uses 4K laser projectors with high dynamic range. Some of the big advantages they tout are a wider color spectrum and I believe 5x the contrast ratio of standard digital projectors.

A lot of people are big fans of them, and I do think the black levels on the projectors are probably the best I’ve seen. But overall I haven’t been as impressed with them as formats like IMAX laser or 70mm film (though, to be fair, I’ve seen fewer titles on Dolby Vision).

bigjoe59 on November 17, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I thank xbs2034 for their reply. but I’m still wondering if I were sitting in the theater watching it what difference would I notice? I figure there must be some significant difference if they’re bothering to theatrically release it.

xbs2034 on November 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm

The Loews has Dolby Atmos sound system (not even sure the film is even getting an Atmos sound remix, Cameron’s ad for the film just mentions the Dolby Vision visual update), but not a Dolby Vision projector. It will be playing at the AMC Empire though.

moviebuff82 on November 17, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Yet the loews has dolby atmos.

xbs2034 on November 17, 2017 at 6:09 am

Bigjoe59- Titanic has been remastered for Dolby Vision projectors. It won’t play here, since it is only playing in Dolby Cinema screens.

markp on November 16, 2017 at 5:47 pm

15MM70 we run a digital back up but after a few hiccups on Friday it has not been needed since.

moviebuff82 on November 16, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Dunkirk might return that month too for awards season..

bigjoe59 on November 16, 2017 at 1:38 pm

since i’m guessing it will play here does anyone know what’s distinctive/different about the remastered Titanic that will be released the first week of Dec.?

15MM70 on November 16, 2017 at 9:13 am

markp Thanks for that info. Really interesting regarding the Fox-Warners agreement of 70MM equipment, didn’t know studios lent competing studios their equipment. Thought maybe AMC Lincoln purchased a 70MM projector since they already have a 70MM Imax projector. Did you just have one 70MM MOTOE print, or do you have a backup as well?

markp on November 16, 2017 at 4:32 am

HowardBHass, It is trust me. I kid a lot of my friends that I always wanted to go to the Kings Theatre and wish I could have worked there. Now that I’m running MOTOE in theatre 2, I can say I did (sort of). The reason this happened is Fox couldn’t reach an agreement with Warners on the use of the equipment from H8 and Dunkirk. So another company brought in 70MM equipment and it was put in the theatre that was pre wired for Tribeca Film Festival.

HowardBHaas on November 16, 2017 at 4:24 am

Murder on the Orient Express is in 70mm in aud 2? Justice League is in 70mm in Loews aud? I don’t see that at AMC website or elsewhere.

markp on November 15, 2017 at 6:47 pm

15MM70. I am working all day Friday and Thanksgiving. Sat night and mon tues wed matinees. Theatre 2 is fully masked top and bottom. I am not involved with Auditorium 1. That has a separate projection crew.

15MM70 on November 15, 2017 at 11:52 am

@markp Do you know if you’re scheduled to be projecting MOTOE through next week? Surprised that Lincoln Square has two 70MM projectors (since the website says they are also showing JL in 70MM as well). Also, what’s the difference between how 70MM is projected in Loews (Aud 1) vs Kings (Aud 2)? Is the image letterboxed (masked?) when in Aud 2, and is “full screen” when in Aud 1?

markp on November 15, 2017 at 4:52 am

I am the projectionist for MOTOE. So far presentation has been spot on since Saturday. (We had some DTS issues FRiday) Screen properly masked and everything. I saw the two who will be running JL. I’m not saying a word.

xbs2034 on November 14, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Justice League though is playing in 70mm at the Loews screen this weekend. And Murder on the Orient Express is scheduled to continue, which means this theater will have a pretty rare distinction (at least in decades) of playing two 70mm titles at the same time.

moviebuff82 on November 14, 2017 at 10:17 am

Murder on the orient express is being shown in 70mm but not at the loews auditorium.