AMC Lincoln Square 13

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,455 comments

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 19, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Yes, it has been announced that IMAX film print showings of 2001 are based on the unrestored 70mm version, and just photochemical blow ups to IMAX rather than going through the IMAX remastering process most Hollywood releases do. I’m pretty sure it will be shown letterbox in 2.20 aspect ratio given there is no material for an expanded aspect ratio version (if you want to see the screen filled, either the IMAX sequences in Dark Knight, or the currently playing Documentary Pandas, will do so).

The digital IMAX showings of 2001 though will be based on a new 4K restoration though. Personally I want to see it at Kips Bay or AMC Empire as I’m interested in what the remaster looks like.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 19, 2018 at 4:00 pm

The source material for the 2001 70mm IMAX print will be from Nolan’s new 70mm prints but it will be issued in Imax form. I don’t know the aspect ratio. Since 2001 wasn’t filmed with IMAX film cameras, which produce more resolution than regular 70mm film, I don’t figure how there will be any benefit other than giant screen. Article about https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/christopher-nolans-2001-a-space-odyssey-restoration-books-imax-theaters-1131276

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 19, 2018 at 3:59 pm

I wonder how it will look in imax compared to a regular 70mm print. Any eta on the dolby?

markp
markp on August 19, 2018 at 3:58 pm

bigjoe59, it will be IMAX. I was in contact with Warner Bros when I heard it was coming because if it was 70MM my team would have been running it. We don’t do the IMAX.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 19, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Hello-

as many people are I am a bit confused by screen aspect ratios. for instance when 2001 played the Village East in May in was advertised as being shown in 70MM film. so is the upcoming screening in the IMAX auditorium going to be the same 70MM film print or will in be in IMAX. i’m of course assuming an IMAX film would have a larger aspect ration.

mhvbear
mhvbear on August 8, 2018 at 1:13 pm

The Dark Knight is showing at 9:00 PM daily. Those performances are pretty well sold out through at the weekend. Both films are being shown 15/70mm.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 8, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Hello-

I thank mhvbear for their reply. if understand the info correctly 2001 won’t be the IMAX theater’s sole occupant such limited screenings.

mhvbear
mhvbear on August 7, 2018 at 4:31 pm

The seats are on sale on Fandango. Daily shows at 1:15 PM & 5:00 PM, with 9:30 AM shows on Saturday & Sunday.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 7, 2018 at 4:31 pm

I wonder if the loews name will be removed from this theater in the near future since AMC is phasing out the name completely while it renovates the loews theatres.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 7, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Hello-

I just read an article that said tickets for the film’s one week release in IMAX went on sale August 3rd. i see nothing on this theater’s official ticket order page.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 2, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Hello-

what exactly is the schedule of 2001 being shown
in the IMAX auditorium?

markp
markp on August 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Bill Huelbig, No I will not. The theatre had retained Local 306 projectionists for 70MM IMAX showings. I’m hoping something comes along soon. I only worked two days all of July and have nothing till August 18.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 1, 2018 at 10:36 am

markp, will you be running the 70mm IMAX show of “2001” at this theater? If yes, congratulations. I’ll be there on 8/24 for my 79th theatrical viewing. It should be astounding.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 1, 2018 at 8:57 am

The IMAX screen will also be hosting 15/70 film showings of 2001 on the week of August 24. Which explains why Dark Knight was limited to once a day

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 29, 2018 at 5:46 pm

The latest Mission Impossible movie is doing quite well in Imax given the fact that the final scene was shot with Imax cameras. I wonder if they’ll replace the Loews theatres sign with the AMC signage?

markp
markp on July 23, 2018 at 3:34 pm

bigjoe59, at the AMC conversions I worked on a few years back, the screen sizes are usually the same size or bigger than before.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 23, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Hello-

when the Loews auditorium has finished its conversion to a Dolby Cinema what will the screen size be compared to the original screen?

digital3d
digital3d on July 18, 2018 at 1:10 pm

Actually I’d guess 70MM because if it would be Laser, it should be more than 4 theaters that get the re-release. Either way I’m super-happy that we’re getting this re-release. Will be a way to experience a historic film on a historic screen. The Dark Knight was a game-changer for IMAX and Lincoln Square was one of the few places to experience it in all its glory back when it came out. Thank you, IMAX!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 18, 2018 at 11:54 am

More likely laser, since the prints for imax might’ve degraded over time. The laser could be a a restored print from the imax print for digital presentation. 10 years ago, this was the closest theater to get to to see Nolan’s masterpiece the way it was intended to be seen. Sadly, i didn’t go see it that way instead opting to go see it in mansfield in digital scope and later i got the bluray for xmas which is a cropped imax version; the dvd version has a second disc with the imax scenes intact in the 4:3 ratio.

poland626
poland626 on July 18, 2018 at 10:10 am

This will be 1 of 4 theaters in the country to get a IMAX re-release of The Dark Knight for its anniversary in on August 24th. Wonder if they’re gonna do laser for the print or stick to 70mm.

Link: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/dark-knight-10th-anniversary-imax-re-release-1202875906/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

digital3d
digital3d on July 10, 2018 at 3:22 pm

When did it open in only 2 theaters? In November or in January? If in November, then those 2 theaters were 2 of the 4.

If in January, then those 2 theaters were 2 of the 815.

A wide release is commonly known, as others have mentioned, to be 600+ theaters. CMBYN, in January, opened in 815 theaters. That’s more than 600, so it’s a wide release. The November release was a limited release.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 10, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Hello-

to digital3d. I thank you for your reply. its just that since CMBYN only opened in 2 theaters in Manhattan I don’t see how that can be classified as a “wide release”. I thought a “wide release” was when a film opened in 2,000-3,000 theaters on the same day.

digital3d
digital3d on July 10, 2018 at 3:01 pm

I’m not sure I understand the question.

CMBYN had two released, one in November 2017 and one in January 2018. See http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=callmebyyourname.htm You can see on that website that the limited opening weekend was 4 theaters and the wide opening weekend was 815 theaters.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 10, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Hello-

oops!!! I meant to say only 1 theater in each city.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Hello-

does that mean since Call Me By Your Name opened in every major U.S city although in only opened in say only theater in each city that it had a “wide release”?