AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,029 comments

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 17, 2017 at 3:32 pm

@benpaz same here in Rockaway, where it’s playing Beauty and the Beast in 2d for the majority of the showtimes and 3d late at night. So far, imax beauty and the best has been selling out more than the 3d and 2d version as the imax version fills more of the screen than the widescreen version of the movie although said movie wasn’t shot on imax cameras.

BenPaz
BenPaz on March 17, 2017 at 3:16 pm

@bigjoe it is playing in both 3d and 2d here.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 16, 2017 at 11:49 am

Sometimes AMC would show separate showtimes for imax movies switching from 3d to 2d.

Imax123
Imax123 on March 16, 2017 at 7:49 am

Did you guys get to see the Dunkirk prologue attached to skull island ? I know the prologue was in 4K laser. When they played it with rogue one they did show the prologue in 4K laser and 70mm at this theatre. Which prologue had a better picture quality? The 70mm version or the 4K laser version ? Thanks : )

xbs2034
xbs2034 on March 15, 2017 at 6:53 pm

One week IMAX runs haven’t been uncommon since the company moved anyway from film prints (where the cost involved in making one necessitated a multi-week run). Particularly during busy release seasons like this with three big titles in consecutive weeks they will turn over quickly to try and show everything. Last year for instance Sully came out in September instead of a Summer release just because that time worked better for an IMAX run (and they wanted to give it a couple weeks as it was shot using IMAX digital cameras).

I do think films like The Fate of the Furious in April and Dunkirk in late summer will get longer runs due to lack of competition, and IMAX giving Nolan films special treatment in the latter case.

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on March 15, 2017 at 3:15 pm

I get that Mike but Logan and Kong only get a week in the biggest Imax in the northeast? That’s retarted! I have to put Imax and the studios to blame in part as well.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 15, 2017 at 3:09 pm

All three silly stories you mention are sequels (Logan), remakes (Kong) or reinterpretations (Beast.)

And as far as this new Kong being completely different, I just saw this movie and seem to recall him living on Skull Island, wrestling with giant dinosaurs, swatting aircraft out of the sky, beating his chest and bellowing, eating people, stepping on people, breaking free of chains and holding a beautiful girl in the palm of his hand…

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on March 15, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I mean granted Kong was done several times but it’s not the same Disney cartoon tale. It’s completely different than previous Kong movies.

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on March 15, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Ugh! There’s to many Imax movies this year. I missed out on seeing Logan in Imax after only a week of being released?!?! Then again 1 week later, after only a week of being released, they bounce Kong for Beauty and the Beast?!?! Good grief!!! How many times can people see the same silly story!?!?!

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on March 15, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Hello-

Beauty and the Beast in playing the IMAX theater in regular IMAX not IMAX 3-D?

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 11, 2017 at 4:17 am

Well at least we can take some comfort in knowing the Jersey & Paradise still have their original neon Loew’s signage intact. I wonder if they will keep the auditorium names here? I sure hope that they will.

BenPaz
BenPaz on March 10, 2017 at 6:17 pm

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

just sad

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 10, 2017 at 12:00 am

BenPaz, It was announced last week by AMC Theatres, here is the link to the Press Release:

And so the once great Loews name, one of the the greatest circuits in exhibition history will now be just a thing of the past joining other once mighty chains like RKO, Paramount, Fox, Warner Brothers & Famous Players up in Canada.

BenPaz
BenPaz on March 9, 2017 at 6:58 pm

@moviebuff so uhh what’s your source

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 9, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Later this year AMC will drop the Loews from this name.

poland626
poland626 on March 9, 2017 at 4:44 am

I agree here with alpinedownhiller. You call what we do “bitching and whining” but I call what we do making sure we have the highest quality available while we are also paying $27 up the ho-ha just to get a seat that “MAY” have a good viewing angle.

Also, we HAVE contacted management and yet nothing has been done yet. So we go to facebook, then what? Nothings changed so far and with Kong in 3D I fear the same issues may appear.

I understand the history of the theater is important, but what’s so wrong about talking about its current state? Are ongoing issues with an operating theater not worthy of discussion here? I want this theater to succeed, it’s the largest IMAX in the region and it should have the proper set up and glasses. Twitter and Facebook won’t make a difference but sites like Cinematreasures that include like-minded people who love the movies and want theaters to be successful, can. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a theater to be the best it can be.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 8, 2017 at 10:28 pm

We have spoken to management. We are not posting random listings about showings or whatnot. There is no official facebook for this theater.

And come on twitter? 144 characters?

Neither of those places gets any movie theater discussion going on.

This is a place for knowledgeable people to get a clue about the size of screens, type of projection, what the current status of projection is, etc.

CHH32
CHH32 on March 7, 2017 at 4:57 pm

There is no row I. The row after H is J, not i. It goes like ABCDEFGHJKLM.

I went to this IMAX several times after the renovation, and those ceiling lights were always on. I guess those lights serve the same “purpose” as he EXIT signs – as long as the EXIT red lights are on, those ceiling lights will be on.

jmm
jmm on March 7, 2017 at 4:29 pm

I have been several times recently and the Row I was perfectly fine and full of people on their seats. My best guess is that, somehow, it’s only available to special guests. It’s simply not available online to me.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on March 7, 2017 at 4:22 pm

They lost a row of seating during the renovation’s inclusion of larger seats. I don’t know why they didn’t just rename the rows and redo the seating chart on Fandango, but I’ve been to the theater now 4 times since laser/sound/seating renovation and it’s not like a row is sealed off or always full.

jmm
jmm on March 7, 2017 at 10:10 am

Anybody knows why the entire Row I of the IMAX theater at AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 in NYC is unavailable for all shows, every day?

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 6, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Not sure why they have those on. I didn’t think the ceiling lights had been on at all when I went to this theater, although I could be wrong. They were definitely off at Reading.

Ah, OK so you wear glasses. I think that explains it. (that person with me wore glasses and saw doubling but no reflections, but with glasses that makes a lot more chances for things to go badly and reflections to crop up, I never wear glasses to movies, glasses also make things look smaller than contacts so screen size seems less impressive too)

Maybe they got rid of the bad glasses, but for SW there were definitely a lot of bad ones at this theater unless we were so insanely unlucky to have like the only 2 bad ones out of hundreds (I also note a few other people have mentioned some weird doubling on parts of the screen here too so I think it’s got to be, or at least used to be, could still be, some to many bum glasses here even if all of them are not).

The glasses at Reading were different, even smaller lenses, but perfect (at least for contact or no glasses wearers). I wish they had kept the old ones for non-glasses wearers and just experimented with special ones for glasses wearers since it seems they messed them up totally for non-glasses wearers (although maybe it was simply poor QC on many of the pairs and nothing directly to do with that). (I also wonder if wearing glasses maybe somehow let you see more just through the center of the lens and avoid doubling even with bad glasses if your prescription is of a certain sort?).

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 6, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I noticed those lights on the ceiling too. Any ideas why they keep them on? I was siting in the last row watching Logan, and I could see those lights directly during the dark scenes(kind of distracting for me). I felt like those lights also cause the black to be not as black as it should be.

vertigoman
vertigoman on March 4, 2017 at 7:56 pm

alpinedownhiller – the glasses to me appear to be the same technology as the previous Dolby 3D glasses (and even included a Dolby 3D branding on the inside of the glasses, along with the IMAX branding), but if there had been “under the hood” innovations made, I’d have no way of knowing.

I don’t think my eyes are wide set or anything like that. I’ve seen three 3D presentations there, and I promise you, I didn’t get any ghosting or image doubling during any of them – that wasn’t my issue. (I’m a huge 3D fan and I’ve got a 3D projector at home, and I’ve seen films presented theatrically in all of the different 3D formats. I’m not saying this to brag or anything, but just to point out that if there was ghosting being caused by my glasses, I would have noticed.) It was just the stupid reflections. I know I keep repeating this, but I’ve spoken to the IMAX CQO about this, and he has confirmed that a certain percentage of their audience has reported that problem with their glasses at their laser installs – I got the sense that this was not limited to the Lincoln Square theater but something they were aware of. He specifically stated that other patrons had reported this too. He said that they were working on developing better glasses, but there wasn’t an ETA for when they might be complete. I’m not offended by your suggestions to try to figure out why this is, but I feel that it’s important for me to point out that the IMAX company has confirmed that this is a known issue – it’s not a random fluke thing that has happened only to me. It may be due to the fact that I wear prescription glasses, and keep the on under my 3D glasses. However, I wear my glasses 100% of the time when I watch movies (I really can’t see without them but have perfect vision with) and I’ve never experienced this problem with any other theater or any other 3D projection technology. No issues like this with dual-strip 35mm/70mm projected with linear polarized lenses. No issues like this with digital 3D projected with circular polarized lenses. No issues like this at theaters and theme park attractions using standard Dolby 3D equipment. No issues like this at home using active 3D glasses. No issues like this at the 4K/3D/120 fps RealD laser showing of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. This issue has only happened to me at this one specific theater using the glasses they provide.

I really wonder if the amount of light leakage in the room is negatively contributing to this. You’ve got blue light spilling onto the screen from the left and right sides, and a row of lights turned on low above the screen throughout the entire movie. The projector isn’t the only thing throwing light at the screen and the glasses seem very sensitive to that.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 4, 2017 at 6:22 pm

The bitching is because the glasses are messed up here. Many of the pairs only have the coating applied to the very center of the right lens so you get left and right signal into parts of the right eye field of vision.

At the other laser IMAX install I went to they had different glasses and it was perfection.