AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 126 - 150 of 1,029 comments

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 3, 2017 at 9:22 pm

For me it was the opposite. Right eye coated badly on both pairs of glasses lead to ghosting on left side of the screen (verified by person I was with). Neither of us saw our face in the glasses or had any reflection problems.

Polarized IMAX actually does have tiny levels of doubling (and if you see it on a screen that was not meant for it, as I have seen happen with a Real 3D screen at one theater, you can even get extreme doubling at times across the entire screen). The Laser system where they block frequencies can provide a 100% perfect experience. They are not using the old Dolby 3D system but something way better and more advanced since with lasers than can tun the primaries perfectly and use sharp cut filters that really cut things perfectly and also have a wide gamut and very rich colors.

I guess something about the angles on your face vs our faces changes the angles of reflection so we saw nothing while you had issues (or maybe that we sat way near the very back helps something about the angles of reflection and incident light, etc). Not sure why you saw no doubling, maybe only a certain percentage of the glasses are bad, maybe you didn’t realize it, maybe your eyes are wide set (which would have switched the problem from left side to instead far left and far right and maybe out there you didn’t pay it as much mind? espcieally perhaps not having even seen a fully working laser 3D imax and not knowing how much mind blowingly better it can be than the polarized type? or maybe you did just luck out with properly made glasses.

vertigoman
vertigoman on March 3, 2017 at 6:03 pm

alpinedownhiller – re your last comment about the glasses. I don’t know about the differences between type 1 or type 2 glasses, as I mentioned earlier, the glasses weren’t branded that way when I used them. My issue wasn’t to do with the lens coating or ghosting – I didn’t experience any of that.

My problem has to do with reflections from the glasses, which the IMAX CQO has confirmed is an issue that some patrons experience. I don’t experience any ghosting or doubling of the image. But every bit of stray light in the theater is picked up by the glasses and reflected off of them, particularly the blue light spilling in from the hallways and the emergency lighting overhead. Additionally, I can see a reflection of my own face on the inside of the lenses – essentially, I have to look past my face to see to the screen.

Those issues are specific to these new glasses, which use the Dolby 3D system which is similar to an anaglyph system. The polarized system that IMAX used to use on both their 15/70 and digital locations didn’t cause any issues with reflections with me, therefore delivering a more pleasing 3D experience.

I hope this helps clarify what I’ve been trying to say.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 27, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Yeah it’s gotta be way bigger than the one at Empire. The Empire IMAX isn’t even all that large as regular digital IMAX screen goes and the Dolby is not allowed to be bigger and yet the Loews screen here is already noticeably larger than the IMAX at Empire if my info is correct (65' screen?). I was there at a premiere once and it seemed pretty large, although the auditorium was so different than most I’ve been in recently it was a little trickier to judge exact dimensions, but it felt at least upper 50' wide and could have been 65'.

Ziegfeld was cool, really a shame that was lost. That said, it’s screen wasn’t really all that huge. It was smaller than most regular digital IMAX screens wasn’t it? I think the actual screen size was only 50'. That was large by old 70s multiplex standards but nothing special by any old modern, suburban multiplex standard and not like the 60'-65' screens some of the single screen palaces in the region used to have.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on February 27, 2017 at 3:50 pm

CHH32, it should be bigger than the Empire one as the Loews screen is already bigger, and the Empire Dolby Cinema can’t be too big as the IMAX contractually needs to be the biggest screen in its theater.

Anyway, a bit of a shame that all traditional larger screens are either closing (like the Ziegfeld) or being transformed to the higher ticket price of premium large format, but with that screen size and Atmos sound already in place, probably was an easy choice for AMC.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on February 27, 2017 at 3:50 pm

CHH32
CHH32 on February 27, 2017 at 11:54 am

Dolby + Laser IMAX in one theater! That is very exciting! Hope this Dolby will get a bigger screen and better entrance design than empire 25

mhvbear
mhvbear on February 25, 2017 at 5:53 am

What a shame. There is nothing wrong with the Loews as it is,

plagasX
plagasX on February 25, 2017 at 2:20 am

Heads up guys, a little birdie told me that Lincoln Square will be getting a Prime/Dolby Cinema makeover in the Lowes auditorium. Construction supposedly set to begin in May. Pretty damn exciting.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 19, 2017 at 3:12 pm

With properly made glasses though the laser system can allow for much better 3D with ZERO ghosting. Believe me the Reading install with the type 1 glasses was beyond phenomemonal 3D, miles better than all that polarized stuff. Miles better.

I don’t trust this theater for their type 2 glasses where the right lens doesn’t filter out the left eye signal well, only in a thin band in the middle of the right lenses. Ridiculous.

vertigoman
vertigoman on February 18, 2017 at 8:21 pm

alpinedownhiller – re: your question “hmm that’s weird, you mean as sort of a general reflected blur or sharp details”

It’s hard to describe – it’s more of a reflected blur, it’s one of those things where if the movie has a very bright scene, like a daytime exterior, it’s not really noticeable, but in any darkly lit scenes, I can start seeing a little bit of my eye and the area around it reflecting back, as if there was a halfway transparent mirror between me in the screen. It’s a hard effect to describe, but I gather that IMAX is aware of it because the CQO instantly understood what I was talking about when I brought it up.

The glasses were the special versions of the Dolby 3D-type glasses with IMAX branding on them, that have larger lenses than the standard Dolby 3D glasses. There wasn’t a designation on them of “type 1” or “type 2” so I’m afraid I can’t offer more detail on that.

I think this problem is due to IMAX choosing to use the Dolby 3D system with their laser install, rather than continuing to use the polarized system that the previous IMAX projectors (both 15/70 film and xenon-lit DLP) had attached. These Dolby lenses are far more reflective than the polarized lenses ever were, and I think the more inherently reflective nature of these lenses, combined with all of the stray light spilling into the auditorium, can make for some problematic presentations.

Because this theater now charges $26.29 for a ticket, I’m having to consider whether its worth having a compromised experience for such a high price. Yes, it is the biggest screen in the area, but if the image doesn’t look good, is it worth that price?

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 17, 2017 at 7:53 pm

As far as I was concerned everything about the Reading Laser IMAX theater is perfection other than for the sound being way too loud (incredible quality just way insanely too loud, for sure these volumes will lead to permanent hearing damage if you see movies at any remote regularity without heavy duty ear plugs (at which point you lose all the amazing quality of the speakers) and I’m not really crazy about the butt kickers in the seats, maybe adds to it at times sure, but can also be uncomfortable too and rattle your head and neck and sometimes a little distracting, depending.

(this install also as the same insane volume levels of course, most theaters today do with IMAX ones though always guaranteed to always be uncomfortable and ear damaging and even louder than 85% or more of other super loud theaters; people have used sound meters and found peaks at least 117dB and sustained levels of 100dB and some movies at the louder theaters these days AVERAGING 95dB over two hours, I think someone found a showing that averaged 100dB for like 1hr45m)

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm

@CHH32 “besides the blue lights on the floor, I don’t know if anyone has noticed, they also left a row of the ceiling lights on after the movie started(Not sure if they are lights or holes). They are straightly above the EXIT signs near the two entrances. You could see them when you look up or look at the walls above the EXIT signs, especially during the dark scenes”

I didn’t quite notice that or at least not note it to remember, but maybe it explains while the blacks, while pretty excellent compared to what you see anywhere today, still didn’t strike as quite the perfection they were in Reading with their Laser system run in a virtually pitch black theater.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 17, 2017 at 7:44 pm

@ vertigoman – “I can see the reflection of my own eyeballs in the glasses”

hmm that’s weird, you mean as sort of a general reflected blur or sharp details, since the glasses are only like what ½" inch from your pupil and that is way too close to see crisp detail, nobody can focus that close unless they are both very nearsighted and not wearing glasses or contacts (at which point the screen would be a total blur), unless they are doing some weird projection somehow

were those type 1 or type 2 glasses or both?

John Fink
John Fink on February 17, 2017 at 1:02 pm

It’s a shame they’re allowing this to continue – I had spoke to the CQO about an issue at their “new” “downgraded” IMAX at Palisades Center where a light above the screen washed out any dark scenes. The rest of this complex is terrible – the last two 2D films I had seen here had the Real D polarizing filters on and the only presentation that was quite good was Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk in 3D because Sony made special accommodations. They should have made special accommodations to present the film in a better theatre…..

vertigoman
vertigoman on February 17, 2017 at 12:47 pm

alpinedownhiller – about seeing my own reflection in the lens, let me explain. I’ve sat dead center in my visits to the location, in rows F and G. When I sit there, with the 3D glasses on as the movie is playing, I can see the reflection of my own eyeballs in the glasses – I see everything that’s on the screen and the 3D effect, but the reflection of my eyeball is clearly visible on the lens. When I spoke with the IMAX CQO about this, he said that other people had reported the same thing. It may not affect everyone, and some people may be more sensitive to it than others, but it’s definitely a problem that’s been reported and acknowledged. The lens coating is a highly reflective surface, and instead of just filtering the correct “eye view” for each eye, they also reflect whatever other light is around.

CHH32
CHH32 on February 17, 2017 at 10:54 am

Besides the blue lights on the floor, I don’t know if anyone has noticed, they also left a row of the ceiling lights on after the movie started(Not sure if they are lights or holes). They are straightly above the EXIT signs near the two entrances. You could see them when you look up or look at the walls above the EXIT signs, especially during the dark scenes

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 16, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Or avoid movies with names like “LEGO BATMAN MOVIE IN IMAX 3D” altogether until they really care who they alienate forever.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 16, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I wsih to hell Reading had not watched everyone exiting like hawks and I had been able to pocket a couple pairs of the working type 1 glasses. Could clean them up nicely and not have to worry about the typical dirty wreck that IMAX glasses are or the double vision mess of the faulty type 2 glasses.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 16, 2017 at 7:40 pm

That’s a shame then since I was hoping they were going 2D here since they’d finally admitted they didn’t coat the right lenses properly here.

As far as the blue light goes, I always sit dead center for 3D stuff and on a screen like this I’d never sit lower 1/3. Where I was the blue light stuff could not be seen (that said the blacks didn’t seem quite as utterly pitch as they did up in Reading where they really, really turn the house lights down old school, they just had the barest hints of lights on a few steps, it was awesomely dark like before everyone because paranoid of lawsuits for people tripping).

I’m surprised you could clearly see your own reflection since they glasses are so close they are too close for an eye too focus on, maybe you means something slightly different and maybe it only happens with bad seats like off to the edge (always terrible idea for any 3D movie just in general since it tends to confuse the eyes since the 3D projection was programmed for a head on view so it can cause eye fatigue or feel slightly off in an indescribable way) and way up front (maybe being that close lets the screen reflect into your eyes more off the lenses?). Whatever the case I didn’t see that with type 1 or type 2 glasses (I did see tons of reflections at Reading BEFORE the house ceiling lights got turned off, but who cares at that point, once they turned it off to start the movie it was just perfection).

I just wish to hell they had stuck with the type 1 glasses which gave a truly awesome, utterly perfect experience. Went from hands down the best, most revolutionary projection experience to a total mess with the faulty type 2 glasses and the ridiculously skinny little part in the center they coated the right lenses. I know the coatings are expensive but come on, cover the lens.

vertigoman
vertigoman on February 16, 2017 at 1:07 pm

alpinedownhiller – there are two problems with reflections in the new laser IMAX installation, from my experience.

The first problem is that the entrances to the left and right of the screen have blue lights installed on the floor and walls – this blue light remains on, unchanged, throughout the entire presentation. Though the light is technically in the hallway and not the auditorium, the light spills into the auditorium and the lower third of both sides of the screen ends up having blue light shining on it throughout the movie.

The second problem is with the glasses themselves. The coating on the lens is highly reflective, and the glasses pick up everything, from the blue light spilling in, to light from the screen reflecting back into your eyes. Many patrons, myself included, have reported being able to see the reflections of their own faces and eyeballs in the glasses. This did not ever happen with the previous 15/70 film system or DLP xenon digital projection.

The solution to the first problem is simple; dim or turn off the blue light in the hallways during the feature. I spoke with the IMAX CQO who unfortunately does not seem to have the authority to make this change; he acknowledged that it was an issue that bothered him but seemed resigned to that being the way it was. As for the glasses, IMAX seems aware of the issue and says they are working on a solution, but no timetable was offered.

Regarding the showings of films in 2D or 3D, a lot of that is up to the studio. I was told that the Lego Batman Movie is being offered exclusively in IMAX 2D at the request of the studio. Internationally, it is playing in IMAX 3D as 3D seems to be more popular overseas.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 15, 2017 at 10:55 pm

I don’t get what the reflection talk is about since a proper laser imax shuts all house lights off. And I see many it turns out where complaing about reflections from people’s cellphones but come on that is the obnoxious cell phone user’s fault, not the glasses. That is distacting as heck even when not wearing glasses at all.

All it lead is them switching from awesome gen one glasses to messed up gen two glasses.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 15, 2017 at 10:53 pm

@hdtv267 – what he said is relevant since it means that one theater is showing it in 2D and one 3D so maybe it adds to the speculation that there is a specific reason they are not showing it 3D at this one, i.e. some issues with the glasses maybe.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 15, 2017 at 10:49 pm

The Laser IMAX 3D with the gen one glasses at Jordan’s Boston was AMAZING though. Bar none far and away the best 3D I’ve ever seen. For some reason the glasses, at least a good it seems, of the gen two glasses they gave to Lincoln Square IMAX have messed up right lenses. The coating only blocks the left eye signal in the center of the lens so if your eyes are narrow spaced the left side of the screen gets doubling, regular widish spaced then you see the edges of the screen doubled, wide spaced then maybe the right side looks a bit doubled.

They shoulda just stuck with the amazing gen one glasses. I"m telling you TFA in Laser 3D in Boston was mind blowingly good 3D. Absolutely zero ghosting, amazing detail, great color, fantastic blacks, wide dynamic range, just the most natural 3D I’ve ever seen bar none. Literally like you were wearing no glasses and just there.

But they messed up at least some, maybe most to all of the glasses at this install, bad right lenses as best as I could tell. A shame since the laser install and screen and all seem to be working fine.

Giles
Giles on February 14, 2017 at 3:29 pm

^ maybe that’s why there were so few 3D screenings of ‘Fantastic Beasts’ at Udvar Hazy … [shrugs] … I’ve never noticed the reflective glasses issue and any other flaws over at either of the Smithsonian IMAX-laser setups.