AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 126 - 150 of 1,250 comments

poland626 on November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm

They may have split it but only in the past 5 years they renovated everything to make it a dine in but the projection seems to be top notch all the time

leowtyx on November 2, 2017 at 10:27 am

Got it, I love Chinese because they always have at lease one IMAX 2D time slot each day, even for 3D exclusive movies. Are there anything like that on the East Coast?

Dunkirk: it all made sense in the last 5 minutes…

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 1, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Unless it is a Nolan, short attention span digital slide show, with muddled mono dialogue, deafening noise and loud music interludes designed to keep audiences awake. Then I stay home and avoid all movie theatres for a while.

xbs2034 on November 1, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I’d say go to the TCL Chinese for scope movies, and Citywalk for full IMAX titles. Both are large screens and laser projection/IMAX 12 channel sound, so should be a great experience either way.

leowtyx on November 1, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Cropping!? That’s horrible.

I watch all movies (except IMAX 70mm) at TCL Chinese IMAX Laser (2.04:1 screen, 94 by 46), because I think it’s closer to 2.35:1 so it’s minimum letterboxing.

Or should I have gone to AMC Citywalk IMAX Laser (1.33:1 screen, 80 by 60 similar to Lincoln Square ratio) instead?

It’d technically have a bigger picture, but scope movies would have a hell lot of letterboxing on True IMAX screen, right?

alpinedownhiller on November 1, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Sony Dynamic Digital Surround

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 1, 2017 at 12:42 pm

moviebuff82, SDDS is (was?)a sound system.

moviebuff82 on November 1, 2017 at 12:12 pm

When the i max first opened they some times shows 35mm SDDS films blown up to fill half the i max screen like with titanic.

xbs2034 on November 1, 2017 at 12:09 pm

IMAX has never used masking as a company as far as I’m aware, so for scope and flat titles here they use some letterboxing (though I do feel with flat titles, the screen is so large, it pretty much feels your field of view in the front half of the seats anyway).

The Kips Bay IMAX is a scope screen on the other hand, so most Hollywood films will fill that screen normally perfectly, but for flat titles they will typically crop the image on the top and bottom rather than using pillarboxing (for instance what they did with American Made as the NYC IMAX selected to show that film).

digital3d on October 31, 2017 at 4:33 pm

To my knowledge (and I’ve been in that IMAX a number of times), the Lincoln Square IMAX has no masking at all. I don’t see how you would mask the bars above and below with a screen so huge. Even the lie-max’s I’ve seen don’t mask.

This video of the IMAX shows it pretty well: (Though it was taken before the laser renovation, but nothing changed in regards to the screen as far as I know. At least no masking.)

Before laser it was really annoying as the image didn’t even fill up the sides right and left on the IMAX. With laser it is thankfully able to do so again.

If murmuring and confusing audiences is a trend, then it’s a stupid trend. I don’t see it as realistic when I don’t know what Bruce Wayne just told Barry Allen (see, just annoying.

leowtyx on October 31, 2017 at 4:22 pm

It’s possible they forgot to take off the 3D filter from the projector so it’s dark. Or bad bulb.

As for Inaudible Dialogue:

Murmuring is the trend, more “realistic”. You don’t see that in TV shows where dialogue is everything.

I’ve never seen 2.35:1 movies on the square-ish True IMAX screen before, do they mask the top & bottom or just Letterboxing?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 31, 2017 at 1:17 pm

The inaudible dialogue issue is not a theatre adjustment problem. They problems continue on the Blu-Ray versions. It is a sound mixing poor production value issue. Most theatres have experienced technicians who visit and check for presentation quality. Perhaps this standard level of checks and balances has been cut down.

ridethectrain on October 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Watching a flat movie downstairs is awful. The film doesn’t fit the whole screen. That in the basement theatres 10 11 and 12

digital3d on October 31, 2017 at 12:27 pm

I can confirm the keystoning issue at the Loews screen (the balcony one) The movie feels almost like a triangle there.

Also I think that and another screen (1 at least) have footage cut away by masking when watching a widescreen movie. The left and right sides have that tiny bit cut off because of the masking beginning over the screen. But that issue I saw at other theaters as well.

People well trained and experienced in projection are expensive. Based on what I read on reddit AMA’s, the theaters just train regular folks (18 and over employees only) to operate the projector if needed. I think replacing bulbs or setting the sound correctly are things those newly trained employees aren’t trained in. Though I think they should be.

I recently made a post about inaudible dialogue and one person responded that the speakers with the dialogue weren’t adjusted to make up for the score. (Not this theater). If modern-day multiplexs can’t adjust sound, I doubt they are thinking of replacing bulbs.

bigjoe59 on October 31, 2017 at 12:11 pm

I thank markp for his reply. I thought at the least there was 1 person maintaining all the digital equipment for an entire multiplex. if there’s no “projectionist at all what if something goes wrong?

also I would appreciate an answer to my central question about projection being too frigging dark. when I saw Wonderstruck I could not read what the kids were writing on the pads.

leowtyx on October 31, 2017 at 9:55 am

Progress & its problems.

Meanwhile, I only need IMAX Laser.

alpinedownhiller on October 30, 2017 at 10:51 pm

@poland626 – that is not one I’ve been too in ages and ages. Didn’t they split the big screen a long while back?

alpinedownhiller on October 30, 2017 at 10:50 pm

@leowtyx – Yeah it’s not on digital (other than in the indirect way in that it let some theaters get away with dumping long time experienced projectionists, well sort of let them get away with it, although as it seems, maybe not quite so much).

poland626 on October 30, 2017 at 10:03 pm

@alpinedownhiller what’s your opinion of West Orange, if you’ve been there, if you don’t mind me asking? The bulbs there seem to be bright and new since the renovation. This theater should totally have a dolby screen. I think they should take 2 of the 3 in the basement out and put the dolby there

leowtyx on October 30, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Don’t blame digital, blame individual cinema.

alpinedownhiller on October 30, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I have to say digital projection has seemed to have become more random these days. Not so sure about at this Lincoln location since I’ve only been to the IMAX (which had a serious issue with the laser 3D glasses, at least last year, never did receive an update as to what they found and whether they truly fixed that or not, the AMC manager seemed to take it seriously, the IMAX techs only sort of) and the huge balcony screen (although even speaking of that screen there was some sort of bit of odd keystoning at the corners), but for instance at AMC Rockaway some screens are bright and sharp, others bright and 2k when they could be 4k, others now so dark they must be using a way, way underspec Xenon bulb or one months beyond the date it should have been tossed. At Jersey Gardens the IMAX and a couple big screens look great, but I saw something at a tiny, high numbered screen and despite the minute screen size it was still soooooo dark, Xenon bulb must’ve been months to years over used. They did fix the problem where two screens had had huge degrees of color fringing around every pixel, but they had it messed up like that for months, even a couple years on one screen until written complaints were sent to management by some.

Paramus AMC, from what I’ve seen, seems to be using decent Xenon bulbs, although I saw one screen where the projector was mis-aimed by over 5' so at least 5' or more at top had no image and at least 5' or more was projected onto the bare wall below the screen.

OTOH at the non-AMC theater near the football stadium in NJ, crisp, well focused 4k and bright, same at the few screens I peaked at the renovated Hanover AMC.

markp on October 30, 2017 at 2:29 pm

bigjoe59, there are no projectionists in the booth anymore. Everything is run by a computer. If a manager turns the sound up for one show, they probably don’t remember to go back and turn it down. Welcome to the age of digital.

bigjoe59 on October 30, 2017 at 1:47 pm

this is a question about projection that I have noticed lately. is it possible the projectionist doesn’t use the right lite on the projector? this is a problem I have noticed at virtually all theaters. case in point. this past weekend I saw Wonderstruck and I thought a few scenes were wayyyyy to dark. for instance the scene with the two boys in the 1977 section communicating by notepad while crouching in a corner of the Museum of Natural History. I could hardly see what was written on the pad.

moviebuff82 on October 30, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I hope Rockaway gets the seats that this theater has.

alpinedownhiller on October 30, 2017 at 12:02 pm

@Al Alvarez – the least people were at Jersey Gardens, more at Rockaway and Lincoln so it doesn’t fit audience size sound pattern at all.

I guess Rockaway must just have some of HS people who run the show going all Back To The Future and turning every dial to 10, calibration be damned. I mean it was crazy that it actually pumped out way more deep bass than even Lincoln and just overall was so much louder than at any other theater. Literally felt like I was getting turned inside out at some points the deep sound pressure was so intense. Even Interstellar at Palisades IMAX didn’t hit those levels. Even at the music at the end, even screaming at top of our lungs we could not even hear a word we were saying even part way down the exit.