Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 176 - 200 of 4,064 comments

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on June 29, 2014 at 11:03 pm

It would be nice they upgraded to Dolby Atmos, every major film is released in that format. Dolby is doing Atmos over 7.1 now for movies. This theatre needs Atmos

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 27, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Did anyone go to the premiere of Spiderman 2? If so did they use the curtains?

cinscope
cinscope on April 27, 2014 at 3:06 am

Oh, yeah, we sold out all three shows during that storm. People used skis to get to the theatre. Hi, Bob, this is Jean S. from the Ziegfeld box office.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 9, 2014 at 11:26 am

The storm was at its height just about when the movie was over – visibility zero – and I was seriously considering asking the manager if I could spend the night on the wide rug floor between the front row and the screen. I didn’t think I’d be able to get home, but I did. Now I regret not asking. What if they’d said yes? That would really be a Ziegfeld night to remember!

Rob, on behalf of all those people waiting in the snow, I want to thank you for running the shows that day.

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on April 9, 2014 at 11:11 am

Bill: I remember that storm well. I alternated doing relief work at two theatres close to Radio City, The New York Experience and the Ziegfeld. The operator at the Experience asked if I could open or him the day after the storm, but then decided to stay in the city. I was expecting to stay inside when I got a call from the opeator at the Ziegfeld saying his car was stuck in a drift. I kept a set of Ziegfeld keys in my apartment and took off for the theatre just a few blocks away. I remember thinking there would be no one there after such a big storm, but was surprised when I got to the theatre and found the line for the opening show extending around the block. They had plowed the sidewalk, but the snow was piled so high you could just see the tops of people’s heads above the pile. I stayed there until closing that night, and every show was sold out. Nothing gets between a New Yorker and thier movies!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 9, 2014 at 9:28 am

Rob: Sorry to hear about your accident with the “Gandhi” reel, but I’ve got to say that movie was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen at the Ziegfeld. I saw it there 7 times, including the night of one of the worst blizzards in NYC history, a Friday night in February 1983. Maybe you were working that night? It was a packed house, too.

Vito
Vito on April 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hey Rob I was just thinking we should have gotten together and modified a couple of those ole film lifts we had back in the three strip Cinerama days to lift those double 70mm reels which were made all the more difficult to handle with a full 70mm load on those floating hubs.

Vito
Vito on April 8, 2014 at 3:05 pm

We had double 70mm reels at the D-150 on Long Island after 3 double shifts of “White Nights” I needed a couple of days off; ouch my acking back. A shame Rob did not get to play “Master” in 70mm which I hope would not have been the Music Halls 70mm swan song.

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on April 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Hate to be the dissenter,but having spent a lot of years in that booth at the Ziegfeld lifting double reels of 70mm onto projector spindles (and in one instance dropping a double reel of “Ghandi” on my foot as I was putting it on the rewind – I figure it was the first 20 years of Ghandi’s life) I can’t say that I’d miss that these days. While I’m still a working projectionist at 75, I really don’t think I could lift those anymore (although we can still do 70mm in my booth, and I did try to get a screening of “The Master” 70mm print in here last year.)

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I agree with you Vito. I didn’t pick up that the delivery was the digital film. I am glad I lived in NYC from 76-83 and had many wonderful times at the Ziegfeld.

markp
markp on April 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

Boy I couldn’t have said it better myself. Vito and NYer, you took the words right out of my mouth.

NYer
NYer on April 8, 2014 at 8:03 am

A lot of us get it,Vito. So sad that new generations don’t get to experience what we treasure, when going to the movies and standing online early on a warm summer night to get your favorite seat with friends was as much fun as the show itself. They will miss movie palaces, roadshow “exclusive” engagements, Drive-Ins, and great double features! Time marches on. Unfortunately it marches right over us.

Vito
Vito on April 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

I had a different reaction to that commercial although I loved the old booth with reels hanging on the wall and the film projectors in the background but I had cold water splashed on my face when it showed the movie delivered in a single small box which is how unfortunately movies are delivered today. No more film cans just a box containing the media to load on to a computer. I am told that some theatres have already started to get the movie via satellite no need for any delivery. Just an old man feeling sorry once again for the loss of film I just can’t get my head around that. Oh well did not mean to bring down the conversation but seeing that projectionist receive a box instead of film cans just made me sad forgive me

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 6, 2014 at 10:13 am

Loving the new USPS commercial that highlights the great marquee and wonderful larger screen. I would assume Spiderman 2 will have it’s premiere here.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 18, 2014 at 6:52 am

12 years a slave is still playing at this theater after that oscar win. Just saw this theater featured in a USPS commercial promoting The Amazing Spider-Man 2. At the end of the commercial, Spider-Man delivers the print to Stan Lee, who is the projectionist. Hahahaha!!

movieguy
movieguy on February 18, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Dam I missed this because of the SNOW! Thursday would have been a GREAT day to go. Could not make it for Friday. Even tho the snow had cleared up.

I hope they get a new movie soon. Wolf Of Wall Street has played at the Zig since Dec 25

mhvbear
mhvbear on February 14, 2014 at 5:04 am

Have not heard how it went but all tickets were gone earlier in the week.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 14, 2014 at 3:14 am

I hope the snowstorm didn’t keep the crowds away. Sounds like a great bill. Wish I lived in NY (at times). Wonder how Loews Kings is doing?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2014 at 6:47 pm

checking Ziegfeld for the weekend, I saw other titles today & tomorrow & googled found this Variety explanation-

New York City’s Ziegfeld Theatre will host a two day, five film retrospective celebrating the collaborations between Academy Award-winning filmmaker Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio Feb. 13 and 14.

New York Film Society’s Kent Jones will moderate a conversation Thursday with DiCaprio, Academy Award-winning editor Thelma Schoonmaker and Oscar-nominated writer Terence Winter prior to the screening of their latest film, “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

Thursday’s screenings are “The Aviator,” “The Departed” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.” Friday will end the retrospective with showings of “Shutter Island” and “Gangs

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on December 8, 2013 at 11:09 am

SethLewis, I think you just gave a perfect example of why they don’t. Once the reviews and the word of mouth got out on “NINE”, it had no chance to recoup its costs. The costs of money today requires immediate results and many DVD/BLU RAY release rights are sold based on opening week grosses. Only small films can afford a build-up and carefully aimed marketing campaign. When a bunch of teenagers show up for “NINE”, who never heard of Fellini and hate musicals anyway, you just lost your shirt on twitter.

SethLewis
SethLewis on December 8, 2013 at 10:21 am

Musicals in particular are great for road shows and slower roll-outs. In London, Weinstein gave Nine a ten day West End exclusive in a twin theatre before going national. Wish that studios would catch their breath and let anticipation build for big pictures and let the Ziegfelds, Chineses, Odeon Leicester Squares hold their rightful place in film going

Bud K
Bud K on December 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm

(Was the curtain utilized pre and post show, please Bud? Thanks) No it was Open during the preshow and never closed after as I stayed as long as I could btw a good example of a current theater like this is the BIG Newport in Newport Beach CA

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on December 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hello-

LuisV’s statement about that few if any “big” films open in limited release is quite true. even after the studios discontinued the roadshow policy for their “big” films they still would open such films in one maybe two theaters where it would play for weeks or months before going to neighborhood theaters.

the advent of t.v. in almost every home was the death nell for many grand old movie theaters and the multiplex era where a film opens in 2,000-3,000 on the same day was the death nell for many of the grand old movie theaters that remained. i love going to the Ziegfeld and am constantly amazed its still standing.

LuisV
LuisV on December 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm

They can sell out (or close to it) with special events. I was there during the special two week engagement of Dreamgirls before wide release. All seats were $25 and there was not an empty seat in the house. It remains the most exhilarating movie watching event of my lit with three standing ovations during the film for the songs “And I’m telling you I’m not going, Dreamgirls and One night only!” The theater was filled with enthusiastic gay fans which included myself and 15 of my friends. :–) Alas few big films films open in limited release.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Maybe they could have a sellout with Star Wars Episode VII in December 2015. The prequels all did very well at the Ziegfeld.