Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 176 - 200 of 4,351 comments

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 3, 2015 at 3:11 am

As I am familiar with the management, I can assure everybody that the theater is still operated by Bow Tie. I rather like seeing the A Walter Eeade Theater sign again, but they have not risen from the dead to retake the cinema.

movieguy
movieguy on November 3, 2015 at 12:21 am

I think we can conclude 100% that it is still run and managed by Bow Tie. When I asked about why the sign calling in a bowtie theater was gone from the marquee. The manager John said The sign had come down and broken and it was going to be put back up

NYer
NYer on November 3, 2015 at 12:08 am

“A Walter Reade Theater” was built into the marquee. It’s permanent. Clearview and Bow Tie used banners to cover it. Perhaps the banner simply blew away.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Why would they remove the name from the building ???

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 11:28 pm

In addition all the workers still wear the outfits of bowtie cinemas. With the bowtie logo on the nameplates on their uniforms

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I just called the theaters box office line and they answer “thank you for calling Bow Tie Zigfeld Theatre”

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Could be but the name is gone .

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 10:39 pm

You call the theaters recorded line and it says that it is a bowtie cinema. If you go to the bowtie website the theater is still listed as being under the bow tie chain. When I went to go see the Martian. Followed by the back to the future trilogy. I used my AAA discount pass for Bow Tie So I think the information that bowtie is no longer running it is incorrect

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I think when they took down bow tie the old Walter Reade name was there.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 2, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Maybe Reade is the original leaseholder and all subsequent operators were sub-lessees.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know…!) “The Walter Reade Organization] filed for bankruptcy in 1977, emerging four years later. Columbia Pictures purchased 81% of the organization in 1981, buying the company completely in 1985, but later sold it to the Cineplex Odeon Corporation on June 26, 1987.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 2, 2015 at 10:05 pm

I thought Bow Tie was operating it for Cablevision. Does anyone know why the marquee suddenly mysteriously reads A Walter Reade Theater?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 10:01 pm

It is stuck in limbo with no operating company behind it … ( like a bow tie ) I know that they are looking for a way out of the lease .

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 2, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Death knell? (spelled with a k) Maybe, maybe not.

But if the Ziegfeld could talk, I’d hope it would quote Mark Twain: “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 2, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Hello-

to longislandmovies I never said that you said this theater’s days are numbered. I should have said
its been said by countless other people in the past year or two. to which since you’re so convinced that it would be a miracle if this theater made it to 2017 what hot inside info do you have that foreshadows the theater’s demise?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I have been on this site since day one and never said before the days are numbered . I hope but would be shocked if it makes it to 2017.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 2, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Hello-

according to longislandmovies this theater is
living on borrowed time and from what he/she knows
however they it know it the theater will close
sometime in 2016. the death nell for the Ziegfeld
has been announced many times some rather recently.
so I wonder what hot inside info longislandmovies
has. remember the air rights were sold to the
nearby luxury London hotelso if God forbid the
Ziegfeld were razed they wouldn’t be able to
build any building larger than the theater
itself.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 2, 2015 at 1:34 am

Thanks Peter Apruzzese. I thought it was. I know there is no theater that has 70mm capacity in Asheville NC. I would travel within the state or SC if I can find a theater that still had 70mm projectors

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on November 1, 2015 at 11:46 pm

“The 50th anniversary print of My fair Lady may have been. The scope on the screen seemed different from the scope previwes. The masking which lowers top and bottom rather then side to side was opened when the film started and the aspect ratio seemed different then 2.35”

Yes, the aspect ratio of My Fair Lady is 2.20.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 1, 2015 at 11:30 pm

From what I can tell now the theatre is on borrowed time . My guess 2016 is the end .

markp
markp on November 1, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Hard to disagree with you alps. Im just happy that in my 38 years of full time projectionist I was able to run 35, 70, and 15/70 IMAX. The last 2 years have been hard for me, now being a stagehand, but as Ive been told, time marches on.

alps
alps on November 1, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Marc Lawrence, the tough guy actor from the early days of film noir to “Four Rooms” said of Quentin Tarantino, called him “a headline”, because he got so much attention for doing things that have been done better years ago. The Ziegfeld Theater, I would be surprised it they got “Hateful Eight” over “Star Wars the force awakens”. With box office being what it is, that would be a silly risk. I like Quentin Tarantino’s work very much; a he is a student of film because it’s a game to find what he is using from other movies. But why does he need to release this in a 70mm road show, ego? From the trailer I saw, the film looks a talky Claus phobic mood piece, set during a blizzard. With ticket prices being as they are, the general public isn’t clamoring for this. And now he has law enforcement who will protest the film when it comes out. Maybe it’s me, but this film vs. digital is a non argument, personally I love digital, and I believe Tarantino was taking about shooting on digital, on that I agree with him, because it preserves film, but what passes for cinema today, very little of it needs to preserved. I liked Django Unchained, but they made movies like this over 40 years ago. Why is TV breaking new ground and motion pictures are failing? He through out a digital projector, eh, I don’t believe it, the prints must be awful then. I went to see “The Master” in 70mm; it looked beautiful, like a 4k blu ray. For all of Ta(rant)ino’s pontificating, it’s still called show business, and not too many exhibitors are going for the expense of putting in this old equipment just for his movie.

markp
markp on November 1, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Trust me Mikeoaklandpark, Tarantino will want any theatre that can show it on 70mm to show it in 70mm. He hates digital. At his New Beverly Cinema out in California, the first thing he did when got full ownership was trash the digital projector.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 1, 2015 at 7:50 pm

ERD
ERD on November 1, 2015 at 7:33 pm

One of the last of the big movie theatres in the Broadway area. I hope it can continue to survive; the upkeep must be expensive. I remember going to the opening of the theatre and the reception that followed. I got to meeting some of the original Ziegfeld follies girls.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on November 1, 2015 at 3:02 pm

As far as I know, the “70mm version” of Hateful 8 is exclusively presented via 70mm film. Yes, films shot on 65mm are presented via DCP all the time: Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, Ben Hur, etc.