Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 176 - 200 of 4,008 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

Luis is right about Dreamgirls being a great moviegoing experience, but at my show the audience was a little too over-the-top. They were screaming “Sing it, girl! Sing it!” so loudly during Jennifer Hudson’s big number that it was hard to hear Jennifer Hudson.

LuisV
LuisV on February 5, 2013 at 10:00 am

Does Dreamgirls not count because it was more than two showings a day? That continues to be my all time most fun movie screening of any film EVER! It was all reserved seating for about 2 weeks. The tickets were $25! No Commericals/Ads! The Curtains worked and everyone screamed. During the film there were three standing ovations DURING the screening, the biggest of which was for “And I’m telling you I’m not going” which brought the house down. It was an incredibly memorable experience.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 5, 2013 at 8:58 am

After “MAROONED” they were all ‘reserved performance’ runs except for the occasional special events like the weekend run of the TV series “CIVILISATION” in 1970 and some of the World Premieres. Most World Premiers are open seating with reserved VIP sections.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2013 at 8:36 am

The Apocalypse Now tickets were $5 too – a new high price at the time. I may still have that ticket. If I find it, I’ll scan it and post it here.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2013 at 8:33 am

I remember having to buy advance tickets for Apocalypse Now, which opened at the Ziegfeld in August 1979. Don’t know if that qualifies as a real roadshow, though. There were probably more than two shows a day, too. Ryan’s Daughter played two-a-day there about a year after Marooned, starting in November 1970, but I’m pretty sure that was not a reserved seat engagement. I have an ad for it at home – I’ll check on it tonight.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

Hello-

i likewise enjoyed seeing Les Miz at the Ziegfeld. speaking of two a day reserved seat or to use the trade term roadshow engagements.

am i correct that the only old style roadshow run the theater has had was its opening film- “Marooned”?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2013 at 4:57 am

I hear ya, Vito! There are so many of those 2 PM/8 PM shows on Broadway I wish I was old enough at the time to have attended. The only one I did get to see was “2001” at the Capitol in 1968, near the end of the roadshow era.

Vito
Vito on February 5, 2013 at 4:23 am

Ah Bill if only we could turn back time. As a Universal picture it could easy have played as a roadshow reserved engagement at the Rivoli in 70mm 6 track mag stereo. Overture intermission and exit music and would that have been grand. Also the curtain wold have worked, Sorry, I could not resist throwing that in.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2013 at 2:49 am

Saps, thanks for noticing that. If Les Miserables had been made 50 years ago, that’s exactly the way it’d be presented in New York, though not at the Ziegfeld. Somewhere on Broadway, most likely – where today, not one movie theater remains.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Looks like the Ziegfeld is showing Les Miz on a two-a-day schedule: 2pm and 8pm.

Reminds me of the roadshow, hard-ticket presentations of the past (which of course I am too young to remember first-hand.)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 3, 2013 at 6:05 am

That’s Michael all right. I was thinking the same thing when he came up on stage, but as soon as he started to speak I knew it had to be him.

My cousin Anthony went with me, and he’d never seen Cabaret. He remarked that all the leading actors in the movie besides Joel Grey, the ones who played Brian, Fritz and Max, all looked very much alike. I’d never noticed that before, but it’s true. I wonder if Bob Fosse did that deliberately?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Bill… is that Michael York in your photos? I recognize Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey easily enough, and I suppose that looks like an older (if surgically enhanced) version of Marisa Berenson… but the gentleman seated at far right on that panel bears absolutely NO resemblance to the Michael York I remember!

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm

That is not a rare event. Trucks hit Manhattan marquees all the time, when there were enough around to hit. Let’s celebrate that too!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm

One scary thing happened on the way out. A big tractor trailer crashed into the left side of the Ziegfeld’s marquee while trying to make a turn. The damage looked minimal, but it sounded really serious.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for that, Bill.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Here are pictures from last night’s TCM Road to Hollywood event at the Ziegfeld: the screening of Cabaret, a movie that had a smash exclusive run there 41 years ago. Another memorable night at the Ziegfeld.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on January 9, 2013 at 6:43 am

and your point being?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 6, 2013 at 9:09 am

Amc in rockaway charges 11.50.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hello-

in reference to Bill H.’s Jan 4th comment about the “new ticket price of $14”. the price may be new for the Ziegfeld but the Regal 42 St. and Union Square multi-plexes have been charging $14 on weekends for some time now.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 7:33 am

Moviebuff82, it has never made much of a profit but the screenings and premieres have always kept it going. I doubt cash cow would be a fitting term with low box office most of the year and high rent all year round.

Vito, I know Cineplex replaced the whole motorized curtain mechanism during one of the remodels only to have it fail a couple of weeks later.

Vito
Vito on January 5, 2013 at 7:05 am

Yes Al of course having worked many a NY theatre I am very aware of the policies regarding stagehands. The fact that no one can fix this problem is just incomprehensible to me.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 6:57 am

I doubt that very much.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2013 at 6:52 am

In terms of profit, this theater is clearviews cash cow.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 6:44 am

Vito, the Ziegfeld was a Union stagehand house for over twenty five years and they were not successful. Back then all New York movie theatres had stagehands, even those without a stage.