Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 176 - 200 of 4,406 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 22, 2016 at 11:11 am

(Can we all do multiple clicks on the closed-curtain photo on page 8 to bump it up to the overview page, where it belongs…)

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 22, 2016 at 11:04 am

It’s gone full circle — started as a Walter Reade theater, playing a sci-fi movie, and ends with Walter Reade on the marquee, playing a sci-fi movie…

LuisV
LuisV on January 22, 2016 at 11:03 am

This was the theater where I first saw Grease!, Fantasia, Chicago, Independence Day and so many others over the years including the best movie experience of my life: A sold out showing of Dreamgirls where there were THREE standing ovations during the film. I will never forget it and will never forget the joys this theater has given me. Tonight I am heading up to see Star Wars to enjoy it one last time.

mhvbear
mhvbear on January 22, 2016 at 10:41 am

A nice article about the closing of the Ziegfeld. Great picture of the marquee. Somehow it is fitting that the “A Walter Reade Theatre' is now showing on the marquee.

CConnolly1
CConnolly1 on January 22, 2016 at 6:34 am

Last film I saw here was “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” back in 2014. We were among a handful of people in the audience on a Saturday night around 8:00PM. It was kind of sad.

It’s location coupled with changes in movie going habits over the years spelled The Ziegfeld’s doom as far as being a movie theater. The neighborhood is mostly office towers. Alive during the day, kind of deserted at night.

I’m saddened by its closing but like many others hardly surprised.

movieguy
movieguy on January 21, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Call the theater box office today. Found out that they’ll be no special programming or special movies. January 28 Thursday is the last day that Star Wars was scheduled to play. According to the employee on the phone no other movies will be coming after that. So it looks like that will be the last day of operations January 28. I will definitely be there to see Star Wars once again. How very depressing and sad that such a great movie theater 1200 seats, big screen excellent projection fantastic Soundsystem a real great room to see a movie is going to be turned into some ridiculous ballroom for corporate bigwigs rich people

BobbyS
BobbyS on January 21, 2016 at 10:51 pm

I wonder why Radio City Music Hall doesn’t have a classic movie day once a month. When they did about about 25 years ago they had very good attendance. With so many dark days, you would think they would try. I also wonder if they still have the projectors. Biggest screen I ever saw anywhere and with the waterfall curtain lowering along with the side curtains closing it made even a more sensational event!!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 21, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I’ve seen 147 movies at the Ziegfeld over the last 46 years. Hope I get to see one more before the end, to say goodbye.

BobbyS
BobbyS on January 21, 2016 at 6:04 pm

When in NY years ago went to see “Jazz Singer” at the Ziegfeld. The matinee showing was almost filled! It was a wonderful experience and a beautiful movie palace. Not like the movie palaces of the past, but wonderful !! Sorry to see its passing…..

walterk
walterk on January 21, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Here’s a working link to New York Times article about the closing:

I was in New York for the holidays and attended the morning showing of Star Wars on the 28th, I am not sure there were a hundred other people present. Sorry to see it close, but not surprised.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 21, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Hello-

I am confused, is the theater closing in the very
near future or is it already closed. if its already
closed what was the last day?

also what can they due with the property? they sold their air rights to the London hotel so if its torn down any new building can’t be any bigger than the Ziegfeld.

Movieholic
Movieholic on January 21, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Seeing Lawrence of Arabia in all of its restored 70MM glory in 1989 was the most enjoyable movie going experience I had at this theater. I was only fifteen at the time and my taste in movies hadn’t fully evolved but it was mesmerizing.

SethLewis
SethLewis on January 21, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Sadly it was bound to happen Was at the opening attraction Marooned in its second weekend…then plenty more over the years…The Last Waltz, Sleuth, Earthquake, Close Encounters, Lawrence of Arabia restored in 1998, Last Temptation of Christ, Mountains of the Moon, Dreamgirls At the same time it was an awkward design up the escalators…the red was somewhat tacky and the marquee never fully did it justice A shame a manageable main theatre and a couple of small sub-run theatres couldn’t have been carved out of it

Myron
Myron on January 21, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Many current films premiere at the Ziegfeld for the New York opening premiere. With the closing, where will the stars gather to celebrate new films? There are no other theaters available as far as I know and the Music Hall is no longer available. Where can I find a list of films that had a run at the Ziegfeld? I think the last film I saw there was Dreamgirls.

Movieholic
Movieholic on January 21, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I’m really sorry to hear this magnificent movie palace is closed but I can’t say I’m surprised. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to visit one last time before it closes its doors for good.

DARCYDT
DARCYDT on January 21, 2016 at 11:49 am

I remember going there in 1980 for a sneak preview of “Altered States” in December. I went to the ticket window and the ticket seller said “Merry Christmas” and let me in free.

AdamBomb1701
AdamBomb1701 on January 21, 2016 at 10:28 am

I’m saddened by the closing of the iconic Ziegfeld theater as well. I saw many movies there – “Earthquake” (in Sensurround), “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”, the Neil Diamond “Jazz Singer”, “Raise The Titanic”, to name a few. One movie I did not see there was “Star Wars”. That movie did not play at the Ziegfeld during its initial 1977 run, despite a couple of people saying it did. “Star Wars” did play, for over a year, at Loew’s Astor Plaza. I should know, I saw it there.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on January 21, 2016 at 9:51 am

So sad the Ziegfeld is closing. Can’t say I’m surprised but it hurts none the less for knowing it was inevitable.

Saw a lot of movies here since moving to NYC and am glad I made the effort to do so. I feel like a lot of people took this place for granted.

amcbayplaza13
amcbayplaza13 on January 21, 2016 at 7:51 am

This is a damn shame this beautiful theater is officially closing down, My uncle God bless to his soul remembered see movies since he was a teenager, My uncle would be alive to save this theater and this theater will always be remembered and never be forgotten

markp
markp on January 21, 2016 at 7:29 am

While this is very sad, I am so glad that I got to experience 70MM in this great venue one last time when I saw “Interstellar” there in 2014. It is a shame this beautiful theater is closing, but times and peoples habits have changed. As hdtv267 said above, people today go where the recliners and all the bells and whistles are. As much as I hate to admit it, my wife and I are guilty of the same thing. You will never be forgotten Ziegfeld Theatre.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on January 21, 2016 at 6:54 am

It gives me no joy that I was correct on this closing in 2016. The Ziegfeld can be proud of its rich history and excellence .

Myron
Myron on January 21, 2016 at 6:45 am

I am saddened about the Ziegfeld but we saw this coming. We saw many films there but the one I will remember is Close Encounters; we saw it twice. The Ziegfeld may be the last theatre in Manhattan which still uses a curtain; except for RCMH. At least it won’t be demolished like my all-time favorite, the Roxy.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 20, 2016 at 8:11 pm

What a bummer. Though I think we all knew this may be coming, so I’m glad I made an effort to go here as much as possible the last couple years.

ErikH
ErikH on January 20, 2016 at 8:00 pm

While I am very sorry to hear this news, the closure of the Ziegfeld as a film theater has been in the cards for years, if not decades. It’s amazing that the Ziegfeld lasted for as long as it did; even in the 1970s the theater closed for weeks or months at a time due to lack of product.

It would be wonderful if the Ziegfeld came to a close with a reprise of its greatest hits, such as screenings of “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” “That’s Entertainment!,” “Ryan’s Daughter,” and “Gandhi” each in 70MM, “Tommy” in “Quintaphonic Sound,” “Cabaret,” “Barry Lyndon,” and “A Passage to India.” And don’t forget the restored “Lawrence of Arabia” (a huge hit that ran for months in 1989), “Vertigo” and “My Fair Lady” each in 70MM (kudos to the estimable Robert Harris and his colleagues for each of those restorations).

Ain’t gonna happen, of course. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 20, 2016 at 6:42 pm

i first heard it on facebook, hdtv267. Long live the Ziegfeld.