AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 176 - 200 of 1,029 comments

Doctor
Doctor on December 24, 2016 at 5:26 pm

with todays movie, i think i have seen all possible combinations of IMAX

1.movie shot using normal camera => projected using 70 mm IMAX projector (Inception)

2.movie shot using normal camera with some scenes shot using 70 mm IMAX camera => projected using 70 mm IMAX projector (Dark knight, Dark Knight rises, Interstellar)

3.movie shot using normal camera with some scenes shot using digital IMAX camera => projected using digial IMAX projector (Transformers 4)

4.movie shot using normal camera => projected using digital IMAX projector (Mission Impossible 4)

5.movie shot using normal camera with some scenes shot using 70 mm IMAX camera => projected using laser IMAX projector (Dunkirk Prologue)

6.movie shot using normal camera =>projected using laser IMAX projector (Rogue One)

Doctor
Doctor on December 24, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Saw Rogue One today. And they showed the Dunkirk “prologue”. I looked back in the middle of the trailer and could see two projectors being used (which would imply they used the two projector IMAX Laser system). And for those of you who are wondering, yes the laser projection of Dunkirk prologue filled the ENTIRE screen! just like how it filled during the interstellar 70 mm IMAX scenes. So i am relieved now and am ready to say goodbye to 70 mm IMAX projectors (but not to 70 mm IMAX cameras as i believe you still need those)

FDJC38
FDJC38 on December 24, 2016 at 11:13 am

Is the seating set up basically the same? Any opinions on the best rows/seats since the renovation? Wanted to check out Rogue One this Monday, but A – D only thing left with center seats. E and F could be serviceable if not too close? Last time I was there I was in row H for Batman v Superman. Saw Force Awakens in J. Stoked for the new format and the movie. Just wanna make sure nothing’s changed too much before I grab tickets (ie. Rows the same, just less seats, etc). Thanks

xbs2034
xbs2034 on December 22, 2016 at 1:59 pm

They used 70mm IMAX (both 3D and 2D depending on the title) exclusively till Fall 2013.

Haven’t seen a ton of Dolby Cinema (3 films) or IMAX laser (just the last two Star Wars movies), but The Force Awakens is the one film I saw in both, and I do think Dolby Cinema had an advantage in the black levels, but in every other way (rest of image quality, the sound, and of course screen size) I preferred the IMAX laser version.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 22, 2016 at 11:41 am

the lincoln square imax is the closest theater to see imax with laser. Last time i went there they used 70mm imax 3d and that was in the mid to late 90s.

Doctor
Doctor on December 22, 2016 at 8:10 am

I think Dolby projectors will not be able to project to a large screen such as Lincoln 13 screen . So you cannot compare IMAX 70 mm with Dolby

Am yet to see IMAX laser

Imax123
Imax123 on December 21, 2016 at 9:13 pm

CHH32- I know Dolby cinema offers a better picture quality than IMAX laser, when a movie in IMAX laser is presented in 1:43 it looks better than the non IMAX scenes in an IMAX laser presentation but do the 1:43 scenes of IMAX laser look better than Dolby cinema ? that’s my question. I have scene a movie in IMAX laser which was Batman vs superman and the 1:43 scenes looked awesome but didn’t look as good as IMAX 70mm but it does get close in terms of picture quality. And I know sully was shot with arri Alexa cameras and presented in 1:90 and Batman vs superman was shown at 1:90 at the tcl Chinese theatre but which offers a better picture quality BvS shot with real IMAX cameras presented at 1:90 in IMAX laser (some IMAX laser theatres project at 1:90 only) or sully shot with arri Alexa camera presented at 1:90 ? like I’ve said I heard IMAX laser 1:90 looks better than Dolby vision even though IMAX laser doesn’t support HDR yet. You probably saw the prologue of Dunkirk in IMAX laser, do think the 1:43 sequence of the Dunkirk prologue looks better than Dolby vision ? Sorry for asking the same question again but I would like to know since I’ve seen IMAX laser only.

CHH32
CHH32 on December 21, 2016 at 5:32 pm

If it’s true Dunkirk prologue was in 70mm IMAX, it’s extremely like Dunkirk will be in 70mm next summer. Still can’t believe they keep both 70mm and laser projector.

Imax123 – 70mm IMAX camera <=> 1.43 in Laser and 70mm, 1.90 in digital IMAX. Alexa digital IMAX camera <=> 1.90 in both laser and digital(no 70mm version usually) So 1.43 is always better than 1.90 because it means they are shot in 70mm camera.

Dolby cinema just has higher contrast ratio than laser IMAX. Resolution is about the same – but Dolby cinema’s screen is way smaller than Lincoln Square IMAX.

Imax123
Imax123 on December 21, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I’ve also heard IMAX laser has a better picture quality at 1:90 than at 1:43 because it’s native aspect ratio is 1:90 like the IMAX digital, so when they present a movie shot on the Alexa 65 in 1:90 aspect ratio it looks better than an IMAX laser presentation shown at 1:43 but on 1:43 on IMAX 70mm it beats a 1:90 and 1:43 laser presentation in terms of picture quality. I saw Batman vs superman in IMAX laser and the 1:43 scenes didn’t come close to IMAX 70mm resolution. This will my first Dolby cinema presentation during Rogue one, and of course it will look better than IMAX laser movies with non IMAX scenes but will it beat the 1:43 or 1:90 picture quality of a IMAX laser presentation I don’t know. So if I’m correctly estimating than best picture quality is 1:43 IMAX 70mm, 1:90 IMAX laser, than it will be IMAX laser 1::43 or Dolby vision, and I read and article about Batman vs superman being shown in 1:90 at the tcl chinese theatre and the IMAX scenes beat the picture quality of a Dolby cinema presentation, so does a movie filmed IMAX cameras being shown in IMAX laser 1:90 looks better than at 1:43 or the opposite ? This all hard to figure out but I’m curious!

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on December 21, 2016 at 6:37 am

I saw Rogue One on Fri at 6PM. This has become a Christmas tradition for my family. I thought the Dunkirk preview was unreal! Idk if it was laser or not but it filled the entire screen and it was incredible! I’m very excited to see that when it comes out. I absolutely Loved Rogue one and I really thought the new laser projection was a definite improvement on what was there before. Seeing Vader again was just unreal! Don’t worry, no spoilers here! lol. The seating was nice and comfy and a vast improvement on the old seating. I agree with what was said about the bathroom and the carpeting but I think the overall renovation was really awesome! I love the new screens on outside the theater and the Imax signs look epic! I’m super happy about my favorite Imax theater, and will be seeing Rogue One again at 1230 with my family. Can’t wait!!!

sharkypuffs
sharkypuffs on December 19, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Happyman: I stand corrected. Though I’m still puzzled how they are able to fit both a 15/70 projector and a Laser projector up there, even with a rail system. Even the IMAX CMO, Eileen Campbell, stated on Twitter a few month ago that there was no room for both. I’d still prefer confirmation from the projectionist over the theater manager, (you’d be surprised how clueless management can be), but if that’s what they told you, I’ll take your word for it.

Saw Rogue One opening night (Thursday Dec. 16), first show, 7:00 pm and again on Friday at 6:00pm. I wonder if the latter showed the DUNKIRK preview on 15/70 film?

xbs2034: At least yours started late. Thursday night, I thought I was late, arriving at 6:45, for the 7:00pm show. There was still a long line, overflowing all the way to the top of escalator and they’d barely let anyone in. Plus, they were in the process of unboxing the 3D glasses manufactured by Dolby for IMAX Laser. I got inside at 7:00 on the dot. Theater was practically empty because tons of people were either at concessions or waiting to get their tickets taken. Rather than delay the show by a few minutes, (as they did several times with Episode VII last year) the DUNKIRK preview started promptly. Many people missed it as well as trailers for Transformers 5, The Mummy, Fast 8, Pirates 5, Spider-Man & GOTG 2. (So many sequels/remakes.)

MrReindeer
MrReindeer on December 19, 2016 at 6:10 pm

At the 9:45 Rogue One showing this morning, one of the center speakers blew out about 45 minutes into the movie, making the dialogue sound muddled. Enough people complained that they stopped the movie and offered us all free movie passes, but most of the audience yelled for them to just play it anyway. They did, then gave us passes when we left (good for a standard movie I believe, not IMAX 3D). I just wanted to warn anyone concerned about whether they had fixed the speaker issue they were having with Fantastic Beasts.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on December 19, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Happyman: very interesting, and that confirms that there still is a rail system in place.

Also, when I saw Rogue One, the previews (beginning with Dunkirk) started about 10 minutes late, which I wonder was a consequence of doing some Dunkirk prologue showings with film (even with a rail system it probably takes a few minutes to switch between projectors, so they may have been falling behind schedule if they were doing the earlier prologue showings on 15/70).

happyman
happyman on December 19, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Got word from the general manager. This is what he said:

“The Dunkirk prologue is playing during the IMAX shows of Rogue One. For some of the shows, it plays through the 70MM projector ahead of the laser projection showing of Rogue. For other shows, it plays through the laser projection system. It is a fluid schedule that is subject to change, so it’s hard to communicate which version you might see if you come. This weekend, the 230, 600, and 930 shows played through 70MM projection. In the week ahead, that will change.”

sharkypuffs
sharkypuffs on December 18, 2016 at 10:55 pm

That DUNKIRK preview was NOT 15/70. It was in IMAX Laser. The 15/70 projector is gone for good. There is no longer any room for it or any form of a rail system. You can actually look back towards the booth and see that of the two projection windows, only one now houses a projector.

Now, when DUNKIRK opens next summer, it is possible Nolan and Warner Bros. may once again request a number of IMAX theaters temporarily convert back to 15/70 film, like they did with INTERSTELLAR and TDKR. Those with IMAX DLP (lie-MAX) may comply, but I doubt those with IMAX Laser will do so. It would be too expensive and they are pushing Laser to be close to if not an equal of 15/70 film. Most moviegoers won’t see a difference between 15/70 film and Laser anyway. The DUNKIRK preview at full 1.44 to 1 aspect ratio looked stunning.

Last X-mas, I took a trip to D.C. to see THE FORCE AWAKENS in 3D Laser at the Steven F. Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum in Virginia and on 2D 15/70 film at the Lockheed Martin Theater in Washington, just before they converted to Laser. I preferred the 15/70 film version, but the Laser presentation was very, very close. Made me feel like I was back at AMC Lincoln Square watching a 15/70 film in 3D.

AMC Lincoln Square still has a few kinks to work out with the presentation ever since FANTASTIC BEASTS opened last month, but they’re getting there.

My only gripes are the slow service (ushers waiting until JUST before show time to take tickets and let patrons be seated), lack of renovation to restrooms that have remained unchanged since the building opened in 1994 and upholstery & carpeting in the theater that is destined to look very bad in the near future. Patrons still leave their trash behind and the ushers can’t cleanup or even vacuum that new carpeting in time for the next show.

This beauty of this theater renovation and conversion could last for another twenty years if just a little effort was made by management.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on December 17, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Vertigoman: are you sure the Dunkirk preview was shown on 15/70? I do know IMAX likes keeping film projectors in their booths on a rail system if they have the space, but the time between the Dunkirk prologue and rest of trailers for Rogue One was just a few seconds when I went which seems too short for a rail system (the exhaust hoses need to be disconnected from one projector, then that projector is slid away on a rail, before the next projector is slid into the prime position and the two exhaust hoses connected to that projector).

vertigoman
vertigoman on December 17, 2016 at 7:31 pm

They are showing the Dunkirk footage on 15/70 film. At my screening, they showed the usual preshow commercials, then turned the laser projectors off and switched to film for Dunkirk, and then turned the laser projectors back on for the rest of the trailers and Rogue One.

Chopinlives81
Chopinlives81 on December 17, 2016 at 5:21 am

Does Rogue one have any IMAX sequences that fill the screen?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on December 16, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Poland626: IMAX does separate masters for laser and digital (same as they used to for 15/70 and digital), so anything shown there now will be a laser version, not a digital thrown up. Leo1: I think it looked pretty great in laser, seems very similar to 15/70 presentation quality, and the only other title I’ve seen in laser in Force Awakens and I’d say Rogue One looks better (with the exception of course of the IMAX shot scene in Force Awakens).

Leo1
Leo1 on December 15, 2016 at 11:58 pm

How was Rogue One in Imax with laser? I saw it in a regular imax and tho the cinematography was beautiful the image quality was really disappointing. I hope it was stunning in imax with laser!

plagasX
plagasX on December 15, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I can confirm that the Dunkirk preview does indeed fill the entire screen… And holy crap, it looks AMAZING! SO freaking happy that we have it playing here.

poland626
poland626 on December 15, 2016 at 6:32 pm

So the Dunkirk prologue is apparently being shown here? Is it going to fill the whole screen and be remastered for laser or will it just be the digital iMax version thrown up? Has anyone been there?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on December 14, 2016 at 11:27 pm

The full screen will be used for 1.43 titles (such as the upcoming Dunkirk). Rogue One is a 2.35 title so there will be some letterboxing, but it will still use more of the screen than Force Awakens did (which was windowboxed as all digital IMAX presentations here were).

Skulker
Skulker on December 14, 2016 at 10:14 pm

How much of the screen will the laser projector fill? For Force Awakens in digital, barely half was used. Will this be more or about the same?