AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 14, 2009 at 9:47 am

Up in 3D is playing at this theater. Transformers 2 will be the next IMAX movie to play here, followed by Harry Potter 6 a few weeks before it arrives in other IMAX theaters nationwide.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 25, 2009 at 10:28 am

This coming Wednesday April 29, the final trailer of the new Transformers movie will be attached to a special IMAX screening of the first one for guests who request tickets by email. Seating is limited. After that’s done, the trailer will be shown before the new X-Men movie, which sadly will not be in IMAX but starting on the night of the 7th, “Star Trek” will be released for two weeks only before Night at the Museum 2 comes out.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 27, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Imax 3D didn’t start off in the Lincoln Square. It started out in Canada in 1986 with a film called “Transitions”. Back then, the only IMAX screen in town was the NatureMax theater in the American Museum of National History, which opened four years before that in 1982 and is still open.

moviemonster
moviemonster on March 18, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Advance tickets for Monsters vs Aliens are now on sale via a new project called CHEAPO MOVIE TICKETS. Tickets are only $14.00 for the OPENING NIGHT which is March 26 at 12:01am. These tickets are exclusively for LOEWS Lincoln Square AND each ticket gets FREE POPCORN!! For advance purchases the # to call is 212.588.0578. They also sell CHEAPO MOVIE TICKETS for other IMAX and regular movies. I got a ticket for WATCHMEN IMAX through them and loved the savings!!!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 7, 2009 at 11:43 am

Advance tickets for Watchmen are now on sale according to IMDB. It’s also the closest theater out of a few in NYC that are playing “Fanboys”, which hopefully gets a wider release next week if it does good business.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 20, 2008 at 5:43 pm

I just went to see this movie at another AMC theater, the AMC in Rockaway, although it would’ve been cooler if the IMAX theater was open, despite the fact that the screen will be smaller than the one that I used to go to at this listed theater. The film was OK; the original is still a great sci-fi movie and worth watching again…..later on tonight it will be on Monsters HD after two Terminator movies, the first and second ones, which are the best of the Terminator films. Now that The Dark Knight is coming out in IMAX at my local theater, I won’t have to drive all the way to this theater and the one in Palisades Center to see a giant Joker.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 15, 2008 at 1:50 pm

My mailbox is choking on all these posts about a movie that will be forgotten in about five minutes.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Truth be told Bill, it would help to understand some of what went on in the new version if you saw the original.
I doubt anyone who has never watched the 1951 versuin got the whole “earth stood still” idea. All they know is suddenly all the lights went out and Kathy Bates tapped on her stopped watch.
One would not have understood the power of the three magic words which is never explained but used twice in the new version.
I could think of more reasons, but the main one to see the 1951 version is because it is so much better. There is very little to like in this new version.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 12:45 pm

One final comment: one of my co-workers just asked me if he could borrow the DVD of the 1951 version. So the new release has done some good after all.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Yes bill but it made no sense since unlike in the original the idea was to demonstrate the alien power, no explaination was really given here, and since the “mist” or what ever it was took care of that question, why did the earth stand still.? So stupid

Bill we really must stop now, we have pushed the limit I think :)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 12:34 pm

I realize I must sound like an old grouch to anyone who sees the new film and likes it. And on further reflection, I think the earth stands still for the same reason it did in 1951: as a demonstration of the aliens' power. It was just sort of thrown away this time, though (there I go again … :)

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 12:32 pm

At the risk of getting into trouble here, and please if you have not seen the movie do not read the reat of this post.

Bill, So much mad me laugh, Kathy Bates as Queen of all things who apperently answered to no one till the end. Klaatu making the dial tone on the phone return, I mean, please.
So few references to the original, but one I did like was John Kleese as the “blackboard guy” who in fact was really the reason for the way the movie ended. Think about what he said to klaatu.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 12:03 pm

OK, thanks Vito. I totally missed that.

I don’t want to post any spoilers here, but you got me thinking: why exactly did the earth stand still? There didn’t seem to be any motivation for it in this version.

The final scene of the first version really makes you think. The final scene of the new version really made me laugh. For 20th Century Fox, it was Mission Accomplished: they got my $18.50.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 11:53 am

Bill, I seem to recall Klaatu saying those same three words to the sphere at the end of the movie just before the earth stood still.
So I guess that was it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 4:46 am

Some years ago I was going to show the original to my friends' kids, aged about 7 and 5. The younger one refused to watch it because it was in black and white. I insisted he give it a shot, though. He continued to complain throughout the credits and opening scene. Sure enough, once Klaatu landed in DC, he got involved in the movie and forgot all about it not being in color. He’s 18 now and I still remind him of that incident once in a while.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 4:37 am

Unfortunatly I may have to suffer through the picture one more time. I had taken my sisters grandson (14) to the screening and promised his sister I would take her to see the picture when the movie opened. I will pay closer attention to to what Gort said to Klaatu. I missed that completly, and I just thought it was a memorabl moment in the original.
By the way, my nephew said of the new one,
“gee uncle vito, I liked that better than that old one”
I sent him to his room without any dinner.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 4:24 am

When Gort first appeared in the new one, he said something to Klaatu that was so distorted as to be unrecognizable. I wonder if that was supposed to be “Klaatu Barada Nikto”. When it comes on HBO or Showtime I’ll investigate that, since I definitely won’t be seeing it in a theater again or buying the DVD.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 3:53 am

I should also point out that us ole timers are very protective of the classics. Our message to Hollywood is, don’t screw with em!

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 3:48 am

I would agree Al, if the movie was a stand alone picture;
which I would have thought of it a as an ok thriler.
My problem is it repesentes itself as a remake, which it is not.
By the way, Bill brought up the three words spoken by Patrica Neil, in the original, how many waited for that to happen in the new version.

alps
alps on December 14, 2008 at 7:28 pm

The new The Day The Earth Stood Still, was not that bad, is mankind worth saving? The original could not touch on the subjects that the 2008 film could. Racism, xenophobia, the world economy, globalization. The special effects moved the story along, unlike say, Independace Day. I did enjoy the film on it’s own merits.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 13, 2008 at 6:24 am

One review I saw was titled “Klaatu Barada Stinko”.

Vito
Vito on December 13, 2008 at 4:46 am

Bill, How about “The Day The Earth Stood Stupid"
PS I warned you :))

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 12, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I just saw the new version of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” in the IMAX theater. The Robert Wise original is one of my all-time favorites, but I did a pretty good job of trying to forget it while watching the new one so I could judge it on its own merits. The only problem: it didn’t have any merits. What was pure, simple, and no-nonsense in 1951 has become pretty much ridiculous, and it kept getting sillier as it went along.

If ever there were textbook examples of why a good script is more important than good special effects in a sci-fi movie, they’re right here: 1951 vs. 2008. I think this movie would’ve made Robert Wise angry, and by all accounts he never got angry.

They really should have called it something else.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 7, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Next year from this holiday season marks the 15th anniversary of the opening of this great theater. Although ownership has changed, nothing much inside the theater has changed except the showing of more IMAX versions of blockbuster movies. Next year, there will be more IMAX screens in Manhattan thanks to the IMAX Digital rollout in Kips Bay alongside the Empire 25 theater and the NatureMax theater near the museum of Natural History, not to mention my local theater in Rockaway getting the mini-IMAX treatment. Will AMC soon change the IMAX format to digital at this location? It would make sense and save the cost of shipping and handling of the film to the theater.