AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 12, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I just saw the new version of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” in the IMAX theater. The Robert Wise original is one of my all-time favorites, but I did a pretty good job of trying to forget it while watching the new one so I could judge it on its own merits. The only problem: it didn’t have any merits. What was pure, simple, and no-nonsense in 1951 has become pretty much ridiculous, and it kept getting sillier as it went along.

If ever there were textbook examples of why a good script is more important than good special effects in a sci-fi movie, they’re right here: 1951 vs. 2008. I think this movie would’ve made Robert Wise angry, and by all accounts he never got angry.

They really should have called it something else.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 7, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Next year from this holiday season marks the 15th anniversary of the opening of this great theater. Although ownership has changed, nothing much inside the theater has changed except the showing of more IMAX versions of blockbuster movies. Next year, there will be more IMAX screens in Manhattan thanks to the IMAX Digital rollout in Kips Bay alongside the Empire 25 theater and the NatureMax theater near the museum of Natural History, not to mention my local theater in Rockaway getting the mini-IMAX treatment. Will AMC soon change the IMAX format to digital at this location? It would make sense and save the cost of shipping and handling of the film to the theater.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 30, 2008 at 8:19 am

Judge Cooper is actually on the mark. Some popcorn kernels simply never pop.

As a dentist friend once told me, “No healthy tooth can be hurt by a raw kernel of popcorn. It is ridiculous for anyone to hold a movie theatre responsible for their existing rotten dental condition”.

Movie theatres around the world import American midwestern corn because it has a higher internal humidity level and therefore a higher popping ratio, yielding a more efficient popcorn to “old maid” (unpopped kernel) ratio.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 30, 2008 at 7:46 am

Despite the outcome of this case, it might be wise to avoid buying popcorn here:

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on August 21, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Yeah I meant A Christmas Carol. Jim Carrey plays multiple characters.

I can also see Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland and Iron Man 2 going to IMAX as well.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 21, 2008 at 12:07 pm

You mean An Xmas Carol, KingBiscuits. That one will do well, probably replacing Polar Express as the next Imax annual holiday movie during Xmas. It will be released November of next year. Next year will also bring the second Night at the Museum movie, this one taking place at the Smithsonian, which in real life has its own Imax theater, which will probably not play that movie since it’s catered towards educational films.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on August 21, 2008 at 12:30 am

Eagle Eye on IMAX? Really? I knew it was going to be a hit before but now it’s really going to make some dough.

The description didn’t mention the films that opened on the IMAX screen on opening day. Those films were Into The Deep and The Last Buffalo.

More upcoming films for IMAX will be Watchmen, Monsters vs. Aliens, Night At The Museum 2, Transformers 2 and Shrek Goes Fourth. I really would love to see Terminator Salvation and Robert Zemeckis' new film also make the transition to IMAX.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 16, 2008 at 5:20 pm

When I first went to this theater, I didn’t eat any food during the movies that I attended, since it costs more than other theaters in my area. Very rare that the concession stand at the theater was closed for violations. FYI, the new Harry Potter won’t come out until next summer, which leaves the new Madagascar movie as a box office hopeful. Another movie coming out in IMAX soon will be Eagle Eye, starring Shia Lebouf.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 16, 2008 at 6:42 am

Here’s the pertinent paragraph:

Meanwhile foodies are also out of luck if they’re looking for snacks at the Loews in Lincoln Center where all of the concession stands have been shut down for health code violations. “It makes me sick knowing I’ve eaten all the food here before,” said local resident Nischala Dubey. Viewers planning to ride the Pineapple Express this weekend may have to look to the nearby Food Emporium in order to nosh during their moviegoing experience.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on August 14, 2008 at 6:46 pm

The concession stands at this theatre got shut down recently for health code violations. That probably made people seeing Pineapple Express and The Dark Knight angry.

In short, not a good day for the theatre.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 21, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Photo of world permiere of The Dark Knight here and many more on flickr:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 15, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Segask: I’m from NJ, and the last couple of times I’ve visited LA were specifically to visit the Dome when they were showing Cinerama on that screen, the likes of which we don’t have in NY anymore. I did other touristy stuff as well, but the shows at the Dome were my real reason for making the trip.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 15, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Did anyone go to last night’s world premiere of the movie at this theater. The late Heath Ledger’s famiy relatives, as well as Mr. Bale and the director, attended the event. This movie will be the highest grossing Imax release at this theater for some time. The movie will shift aspect ratios from regular scope to full IMAX. I wonder how the transitions will happen, like fade in and out, or just flash, there it is!!!

William
William on July 9, 2008 at 1:00 pm

“The Dark Knight”, Justin started it. :)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 9, 2008 at 12:54 pm

perhaps you could tell the rest of us what TDK is?

William
William on July 9, 2008 at 12:34 pm

It looks like regular admission for “TDK” is $12 and for IMAX it’s $16. It also looks like the first few days of it in IMAX are already SOLD OUT at this theatre.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 9, 2008 at 11:51 am

BTW, how are ticket sales for TDK? I’d like to see this movie at this theater, which I haven’t been to in nearly 10 years!!! Have they changed anything at the IMAX part of the theater since I last visited, which was back in 2000? Pretty soon that IMAX theater will show no more film!!!

segask
segask on June 26, 2008 at 9:12 pm

thanks for the photo Warren. I live in southern CA, and have never been to NYC. If I ever do visit, I would go see the Ziegfeld, Lincoln Square, and Empire 25 in addition to all the other standard tourist stuff that people do in their first visit.

What about any of you folks who have never been to LA? Would seeing a movie at the Chinese, the Dome, the El Capitan, etc. be at the top of your to do list along with Disneyland and all the other standard tourist stuff?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 26, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Warren’s photo is that of the Loews auditorium,towards the screen. I’ve seen movies there.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 26, 2008 at 6:35 am

Here’s a new link to a photo that might possibly be that auditorium. If you want a photo showing front to back, why don’t you go there and take one? I’m sure that nobody would stop you from doing so: View link

segask
segask on June 25, 2008 at 9:51 pm

does anyone have any pics of the Loews auditorium? I’ve seen a pic of the screen with the proscenium. I’d like to see a pic taken from in front of the first row of the main floor, looking back at the entire seating area including the balcony.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on June 1, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I’d say their IMAX screen still rakes in a lot of dough.

edblank
edblank on June 1, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Anyone know where Lincoln Square 13 ranks now in terms of total annual revenue and/or the highest revenue per screen average?