AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 23, 2016 at 10:12 pm

The Lincoln Square isn’t what it used to be. Sure, the IMAX makes up the bulk of the moviegoing experience as it is the largest screen in the NYC area and also the busiest. Having the laser projection installed in it will raise the price even further. Not only that, but food prices will increase. I like the old film projection as it is sharper than digital and makes it look like a bluray movie projected on a giant screen. 4k is here to stay at home and 8k is only being used on tall screens for sports arenas and the like. I’m happy with my 1080p 3d tv. heck, the 1080p 2d is better than the 3d.

markp
markp on August 23, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I agree with you on all points hdtv267. I might add that as a 40 year veteran projectionist, I personally am not a fan of digital, since it put me out of work 3 years ago, and I could care less about digital imax or laser or anything else. To me its getting all out of control, and going to the movies just isn’t what it use to be. Yes I’m an old fuddy duddy. You can say it.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on August 22, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Don’t plan on a November opening. The IMAX renovation at the Metreon took 6 weeks longer than planned, and then also had to close again for a couple weeks to make re-adjustments.

So don’t start pools for the first movie or bitch and whine if it goes into December This isn’t the youngest of buildings, and complications occur.

The best thing anyone can do is provide rational updates from verified sources with links and photos to document the transition.

Take the speculation, bitching and moaning to Facebook, twitter, Instagram or snapchat where it belongs.

you’re going to drive yourselves and others insane with the constant posting & kvetching.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 22, 2016 at 8:22 pm

It looks like Ill see Sully and The Magificent Seven on vacation in imax lasser in Hollywood

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 22, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Just a little more to add to Billy Lynn, the NY Times indeed say it is expected that Lincoln Square will play Billy Lynn in Ang Lee’s format during theatrical release I figured (given the expense/trouble involved with specially outfitting a screen) but still nice to hear.

Also, sounds like Lincoln Square may be the only theater to play it that way, though there will be 4k/3D/60 fps and 4k/2D/120 fps showings at other theaters.

As for IMAX laser, I was told their hope was for the start of holiday season blockbusters but definitely by Thanksgiving barring a major delay, so sounds like they aiming for Doctor Strange but could slip to Fantastic Beasts.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 22, 2016 at 8:09 pm

It will be worth the drive to NYC to see an imax laser movie. Wonder if Fantastic Beasts will be the first one or maybe Dr. Strange?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 22, 2016 at 5:55 pm

This theater will host the first ever 3D/4K/120 fps public showing with the World Premiere of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk on October 14th. It will be in relatively small screen with 300 seats, and hopefully also plays that way during its commercial run here.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 22, 2016 at 5:00 pm

According to the theatre today, the IMAX theatre will be closed until November

mrwipe
mrwipe on August 22, 2016 at 4:10 am

IT’S HAPPENING!!!!! Can’t wait to finally come back to my favorite movie screen in NYC and see the new projector!!!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 19, 2016 at 7:22 pm

thanks for the update xbs2034. After that’s done, I think AMC will renovate the other screens too and put in reserved seating.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 18, 2016 at 5:10 pm

The IMAX screen is scheduled to close after this weekend, for laser and other improvements (new seats, sound system, quality assurance monitoring system). Their plan is indeed to reopen for the holiday season blockbusters provided there are no delays in construction.

ImaxGeek
ImaxGeek on August 7, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Dear Alpinedownhiller, the Warren Imax theater is a Digital Imax theater. Even though the screen is wider, the screen has a smaller area because it is 1:1.9 instead of 1: 1.44. The Warren Imax has a 101 by 54 foot screen. The Lowes Imax theater has a 97 by 76 foot screen. This equates to 5,454 square feet compared to 7,372 square feet. So, the Lowes Imax theater is still tied for the largest Imax Screen in North America. AMC Loews Metreon 16 in San Francisco has an identical Imax screen. Both Imax theaters were built in the mid 1990s and designed by Gensler*. The Lowes Metreon has the Imax Lazer projection system. The Lincoln Square Imax has Digital Imax projection. Both Imax theaters seat 600 people.

*Note: The rest of the Lowes Metreon was designed by renowned architect and set designer David Rockwell as was many of the 1990’s Lowes theaters.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10326- The Link to the Cinema Tresures Page on the Lowes Metreon.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on August 2, 2016 at 5:06 am

Sure would be nice if they had it ready for Rogue One.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 1, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I don’t see anything official on IMAX’s account, and we know they’ve delayed plans multiple times, so can’t get too excited until the renovation actually begins. But if it starts after Sucide Squad’s run, seems unlikely they would have it ready for Sully (the first Hollywood film almost entirely shot with IMAX cameras) on Sept. 9, but maybe for Terence Malick’s Voyage of Time (which you know would look great in IMAX laser) in October, and obviously they would only do it if they can be open for Holiday blockbusters like Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 1, 2016 at 12:34 am

According to what I heard from the Imax twitter account, they are planning to install the laser once Suicide Squad’s run is over. I can’t wait to make the ride to NYC to see a big screen movie in laser as my local theater still uses the 2k system that most digital imaxes use.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on July 5, 2016 at 11:23 pm

They really need a true utter giant screen 90' wide and full height laser imax out in the burbs though as going to NYC is a nightmare mess (still I’d do it for Laser 3D IMAX for a a very few super huge films).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on July 5, 2016 at 11:21 pm

People care about Laser 3D IMAX because it’s one hell of a different experience to see something filling up the entire screen than something filling up a small rectangular portion of it. And the much deeper blacks, larger color gamut, the utterly ghost free and natural 3D, much crisper image. It’s night and day Laser 3D IMAX compared to regular Xenon 3D IMAX.

I was totally blown away when I saw TFA in Laser 3d IMAX up in Boston.

markp
markp on July 3, 2016 at 4:08 pm

hdtv267, as much as I love film, having been a union projectionist for 40 years, even I have to admit the film is dead. I didn’t want to believe it 3 years ago when I lost my full time job, but aside from being able to run Hateful 8 in 70MM over Christmas holidays, even now I can see film is dead. Ive come to accept (not mean like) digital, and Ive not seen any laser. So all these people who keep wondering, well keep wondering, because even this old seasoned veteran projectionist can tell you film is dead.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on July 3, 2016 at 12:39 pm

What’s pathetic is that he actually thought they’d do that for one showing. Who the hell really cares?

Since AMC clearly doesn’t think installing laser is at this rat trap is so important, it baffles my mind why the hell all of you are losing sleep over it.

I hope someone’s running a pool on it, I really do. I’d win as I’ll be seeing a laser IMAX 3D (AGAIN) in San Francisco in November in a real theater complex with LASER IMAX. Yeah, they gave it to a real City with a winning baseball team first.

poland626
poland626 on July 3, 2016 at 11:17 am

I don’t think they’d switch projectors for this. It might be easier just to play the digital version this time as they’d only have an hour or so to switch projectors out and back again.

I AM curious to see if Voyage of Time gets played here in film for the 40 minute version coming out for IMAX theaters. Would look pretty great and since it doesn’t come out till October, maybe even Laser would be put in by then?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 28, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Advance tickets now on sale for the Star Trek imax trilogy…wonder if they’ll use the 70mm projector for Into Darkness 3d like they did three years ago or stick to digital, which is easier to handle than spooling extra long film.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on June 14, 2016 at 1:00 am

Moviebuff82, since Ghostbusters IMAX tickets are already on sale for mid July, that seems to leave no time for renovations before Suicide Squad at the start of August. Maybe for Sully (which is mostly shot in IMAX), maybe later in the Fall for films like Fantastic Beasts or Rogue One, or maybe not this year at all. Given all the delays which have already occurred, would not be shocked if they wait till next Fall and perhaps show Nolan’s Dunkirk on a film print (which you know the director would like).

ImaxGeek, no projection room viewing gallery (I believe this video shows the projection booth as it was clearly filmed at Lincoln Square https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=C-VjiPRR5cY ) though they used to have some decorations/video outside the IMAX screen about the format back when the theater first opened, but those must have been taken down years ago

ImaxGeek
ImaxGeek on June 13, 2016 at 12:52 am

Is there a projection room viewing gallery at this IMAX theater? I have been to some Imax theaters, even multiplex Imax theaters that have a viewing gallery.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 12, 2016 at 2:34 am

Looks like id4 resurgence will be playing in digital imax. Wonder if suicide squad will be in 2k imax 3d or perhaps they’ll wait until fall when Sully comes out in laser imax.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on June 4, 2016 at 7:07 am

Yes, the IMAX here has never had masking (actually that’s pretty common of IMAX screens in general, but sadly even some multiplex screens are not masked anymore).

It wasn’t as big an issue until Fall 2013 when they put the digital projectors in and presentations became windowboxed, and since digital was supposed to just be a stop gap solution until laser, they never seemed to want invest in crating a masking system for that screen (though it’s been almost three years since the transition to IMAX digital)