AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 15, 2008 at 3:50 pm

My mailbox is choking on all these posts about a movie that will be forgotten in about five minutes.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Truth be told Bill, it would help to understand some of what went on in the new version if you saw the original.
I doubt anyone who has never watched the 1951 versuin got the whole “earth stood still” idea. All they know is suddenly all the lights went out and Kathy Bates tapped on her stopped watch.
One would not have understood the power of the three magic words which is never explained but used twice in the new version.
I could think of more reasons, but the main one to see the 1951 version is because it is so much better. There is very little to like in this new version.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm

One final comment: one of my co-workers just asked me if he could borrow the DVD of the 1951 version. So the new release has done some good after all.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Yes bill but it made no sense since unlike in the original the idea was to demonstrate the alien power, no explaination was really given here, and since the “mist” or what ever it was took care of that question, why did the earth stand still.? So stupid

Bill we really must stop now, we have pushed the limit I think :)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I realize I must sound like an old grouch to anyone who sees the new film and likes it. And on further reflection, I think the earth stands still for the same reason it did in 1951: as a demonstration of the aliens' power. It was just sort of thrown away this time, though (there I go again … :)

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 2:32 pm

At the risk of getting into trouble here, and please if you have not seen the movie do not read the reat of this post.

Bill, So much mad me laugh, Kathy Bates as Queen of all things who apperently answered to no one till the end. Klaatu making the dial tone on the phone return, I mean, please.
So few references to the original, but one I did like was John Kleese as the “blackboard guy” who in fact was really the reason for the way the movie ended. Think about what he said to klaatu.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 2:03 pm

OK, thanks Vito. I totally missed that.

I don’t want to post any spoilers here, but you got me thinking: why exactly did the earth stand still? There didn’t seem to be any motivation for it in this version.

The final scene of the first version really makes you think. The final scene of the new version really made me laugh. For 20th Century Fox, it was Mission Accomplished: they got my $18.50.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Bill, I seem to recall Klaatu saying those same three words to the sphere at the end of the movie just before the earth stood still.
So I guess that was it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 6:46 am

Some years ago I was going to show the original to my friends' kids, aged about 7 and 5. The younger one refused to watch it because it was in black and white. I insisted he give it a shot, though. He continued to complain throughout the credits and opening scene. Sure enough, once Klaatu landed in DC, he got involved in the movie and forgot all about it not being in color. He’s 18 now and I still remind him of that incident once in a while.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 6:37 am

Unfortunatly I may have to suffer through the picture one more time. I had taken my sisters grandson (14) to the screening and promised his sister I would take her to see the picture when the movie opened. I will pay closer attention to to what Gort said to Klaatu. I missed that completly, and I just thought it was a memorabl moment in the original.
By the way, my nephew said of the new one,
“gee uncle vito, I liked that better than that old one”
I sent him to his room without any dinner.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 15, 2008 at 6:24 am

When Gort first appeared in the new one, he said something to Klaatu that was so distorted as to be unrecognizable. I wonder if that was supposed to be “Klaatu Barada Nikto”. When it comes on HBO or Showtime I’ll investigate that, since I definitely won’t be seeing it in a theater again or buying the DVD.

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 5:53 am

I should also point out that us ole timers are very protective of the classics. Our message to Hollywood is, don’t screw with em!

Vito
Vito on December 15, 2008 at 5:48 am

I would agree Al, if the movie was a stand alone picture;
which I would have thought of it a as an ok thriler.
My problem is it repesentes itself as a remake, which it is not.
By the way, Bill brought up the three words spoken by Patrica Neil, in the original, how many waited for that to happen in the new version.

alps
alps on December 14, 2008 at 9:28 pm

The new The Day The Earth Stood Still, was not that bad, is mankind worth saving? The original could not touch on the subjects that the 2008 film could. Racism, xenophobia, the world economy, globalization. The special effects moved the story along, unlike say, Independace Day. I did enjoy the film on it’s own merits.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 13, 2008 at 8:24 am

One review I saw was titled “Klaatu Barada Stinko”.

Vito
Vito on December 13, 2008 at 6:46 am

Bill, How about “The Day The Earth Stood Stupid"
PS I warned you :))

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 12, 2008 at 9:20 pm

I just saw the new version of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” in the IMAX theater. The Robert Wise original is one of my all-time favorites, but I did a pretty good job of trying to forget it while watching the new one so I could judge it on its own merits. The only problem: it didn’t have any merits. What was pure, simple, and no-nonsense in 1951 has become pretty much ridiculous, and it kept getting sillier as it went along.

If ever there were textbook examples of why a good script is more important than good special effects in a sci-fi movie, they’re right here: 1951 vs. 2008. I think this movie would’ve made Robert Wise angry, and by all accounts he never got angry.

They really should have called it something else.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 7, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Next year from this holiday season marks the 15th anniversary of the opening of this great theater. Although ownership has changed, nothing much inside the theater has changed except the showing of more IMAX versions of blockbuster movies. Next year, there will be more IMAX screens in Manhattan thanks to the IMAX Digital rollout in Kips Bay alongside the Empire 25 theater and the NatureMax theater near the museum of Natural History, not to mention my local theater in Rockaway getting the mini-IMAX treatment. Will AMC soon change the IMAX format to digital at this location? It would make sense and save the cost of shipping and handling of the film to the theater.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 30, 2008 at 10:19 am

Judge Cooper is actually on the mark. Some popcorn kernels simply never pop.

As a dentist friend once told me, “No healthy tooth can be hurt by a raw kernel of popcorn. It is ridiculous for anyone to hold a movie theatre responsible for their existing rotten dental condition”.

Movie theatres around the world import American midwestern corn because it has a higher internal humidity level and therefore a higher popping ratio, yielding a more efficient popcorn to “old maid” (unpopped kernel) ratio.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 30, 2008 at 9:46 am

Despite the outcome of this case, it might be wise to avoid buying popcorn here:

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on August 21, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Yeah I meant A Christmas Carol. Jim Carrey plays multiple characters.

I can also see Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland and Iron Man 2 going to IMAX as well.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 21, 2008 at 2:07 pm

You mean An Xmas Carol, KingBiscuits. That one will do well, probably replacing Polar Express as the next Imax annual holiday movie during Xmas. It will be released November of next year. Next year will also bring the second Night at the Museum movie, this one taking place at the Smithsonian, which in real life has its own Imax theater, which will probably not play that movie since it’s catered towards educational films.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on August 21, 2008 at 2:30 am

Eagle Eye on IMAX? Really? I knew it was going to be a hit before but now it’s really going to make some dough.

The description didn’t mention the films that opened on the IMAX screen on opening day. Those films were Into The Deep and The Last Buffalo.

More upcoming films for IMAX will be Watchmen, Monsters vs. Aliens, Night At The Museum 2, Transformers 2 and Shrek Goes Fourth. I really would love to see Terminator Salvation and Robert Zemeckis' new film also make the transition to IMAX.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 16, 2008 at 7:20 pm

When I first went to this theater, I didn’t eat any food during the movies that I attended, since it costs more than other theaters in my area. Very rare that the concession stand at the theater was closed for violations. FYI, the new Harry Potter won’t come out until next summer, which leaves the new Madagascar movie as a box office hopeful. Another movie coming out in IMAX soon will be Eagle Eye, starring Shia Lebouf.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 16, 2008 at 8:42 am

Here’s the pertinent paragraph:

Meanwhile foodies are also out of luck if they’re looking for snacks at the Loews in Lincoln Center where all of the concession stands have been shut down for health code violations. “It makes me sick knowing I’ve eaten all the food here before,” said local resident Nischala Dubey. Viewers planning to ride the Pineapple Express this weekend may have to look to the nearby Food Emporium in order to nosh during their moviegoing experience.