AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

mhvbear
mhvbear on February 9, 2016 at 1:25 pm

The only renovation that has been talked about is laser projection and new seating in the IMAX theater. I don’t think anything has been planed for the rest of the complex. It would be nice if they left some of the more “high end” theaters with the Loews name unless AMC is required by the sale to change that at some point.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on February 9, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Are they dropping the Loews name chain wide (other sites such as the Orpheum and Kips Bay still include it as well)? Also if the renovation includes changing the signage, I wonder if they will finally fix up some of the other screens a bit, and maybe close the entire complex for a bit.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 8, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Once the renovation is done, the Loews name will be gone and it will simply be called AMC Lincoln Square. Just the exterior signage will just say AMC. The Loews name will live on in the auditorium.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on February 4, 2016 at 8:39 pm

AMCbayplaza13, that’s old article/info from when laser debuted at the TCL Chinese theater early last year (which was the second site to get it). All the other sites mentioned other than Lincoln Square already have laser, and I think there are around 20 worldwide at this point including a couple which just did the renovation at the start of the year.

amcbayplaza13
amcbayplaza13 on February 4, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Y'all might notice that the CEO Richard Gelfond told THR. There’s been plenty of talk at this week’s expects to see about 15 laser installations by the end of this year, including key destinations such as Empire Leicester Square in London, AMC Universal CityWalk in Los Angeles, AMC Loews Lincoln Square in New York, AMC Metreon in San Francisco and Pacific Science Center in Seattle

ACS12
ACS12 on February 4, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I’m sure you’re talking about Eileen Campbell, cetrata. She never gives a definitive answer to people who ask her about Lincoln Square getting laser. She’s been giving them the same answer for months now. LS13 made the worst decision in removing that projector so fast. It’s like they couldn’t wait to. They must have forgotten about directors like Christopher Nolan who prefers to show his films on IMAX 70mm.

cetrata
cetrata on February 3, 2016 at 4:15 pm

@ACS12 Unfortunately, I read on twitter from an imax executive lincoln square removed the projector. I suppose they could just get another projector though it seems unlikely

ACS12
ACS12 on February 3, 2016 at 3:24 pm

What if LS13 just wasn’t chosen for TFA in 70mm? It seems like only science museums and Domes were chosen for it. Not regular theaters. I’d like to know where exactly they dumped the 70mm film projector. Can’t they just get it back, if they had to?

cetrata
cetrata on February 3, 2016 at 11:54 am

Yeah if they had kept the 70mm projector, star wars the force awakens would have been shown in the format. Also heard at one point on twitter from an imax marketing executive that the projector has been removed.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on February 3, 2016 at 11:50 am

lol, I like the design of TCL Chinese Theater,wish there is one in NYC like that.

It’s very unlikely a 70mm film will be shown at LS13 anymore, guess the 70mm projector has already been removed, otherwise they could have shown TFA in 70mm.

I believe the BvS will be in IMAX till April 14th, then the jungle book will roll out (nice trailer. must be a beautiful film to see in Laser!). Deadpool is scheduled up to Feb 15th currently, and I really hope the renovation can start on the 16th.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 31, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I was able to convince my nephews to check out Force Awakens in laser IMAX, and even they noticed a difference from Lincoln Square (where they had seen it during Christmas). I hadn’t seen it in IMAX before, but had first in Real D, then Dolby Cinema, and now IMAX laser and noticed improvement in visual and sounds with each format, plus the native IMAX footage, while sadly too short, was really stunning in that format.

Also from what I understand, they don’t increase the ticket price when going to laser at least initially, and it was $19 there (probably due to the SF market it was a bit cheaper than Lincoln), which again may contribute to AMC being so slow when Lincoln Square is still getting packed houses. The one issue I noticed with laser, is wearing prescription glasses as well I got a reflection in the brighter scenes from the 3D glasses (something that never happened with the 70mm glasses), but for most that won’t be an issue of course, and based on what I saw at least in 2D I believe could be a perfect replacement for 70mm IMAX film (the Deadpool trailer played first and right away my jaw was on the floor with how good it looked).

waterguy56
waterguy56 on January 31, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I hope this is not true. But no doubt, the IMAX fans like us are just the minorities. 80% of people going to LS13 still believe they are watching the best IMAX in the world, so they won’t complain about anything. it could be true that LS13 did not start the renovation because the digital IMAX tickets sold so well. notice TFA is still a super hot LIEIMAX movie at LS13 after one month! but I guess many SW fans just thought they were watching the best version.

mrwipe
mrwipe on January 31, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Welp that’s that I guess. No Laser projection this year. I’m calling it now, no way LS13 closes during the major IMAX seasons this year that start with BVS and last pretty much all the way through the fall. I’m tired seeing movies here that only use half of the screen (if that).

amcbayplaza13
amcbayplaza13 on January 30, 2016 at 10:54 am

You might recall that classic movies like Lawrence of Arabia and West Side Story were shot in 70mm on the Super Panavision 70 camera and projected in 70mm at special roadshow screenings. In the 1970’s, the IMAX corporation developed a new way to shoot and project 70mm film run through the projector horizontally, so that the width of the film is the height of the frame. The result is a much MUCH larger resolution, from both 35mm film and even the old school “70mm The only “real” IMAX screen that I’ve personally seen that is associated with AMC is the Lincoln Square theatre in New York City. The screen is 8 stories tall and uses a 70mm film projector. The majority of the IMAX screen partnerships with AMC,

ACS12
ACS12 on January 30, 2016 at 7:25 am

Yup, that’s what I figured as well. They most likely couldn’t get the permits in time…again. I don’t know why that’s taking so long. The guy from Guest Services said he was checking with the theater team before he said it. So it couldn’t have been a prediction by him.

BvS was filmed with IMAX cameras, which is why I care about this so much. I want to see it the way it’s meant to be seen. Not in LIEMAX like TFA. I’ve never seen an IMAX movie in its full 1.43 aspect ratio.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on January 30, 2016 at 6:44 am

OMG!!!This doesn’t look good for BvS!!! The chance of seeing it in Laser IMAX is smaller and smaller. The stuff from the guest services probably just predicted the renovation will begin sometime around Deadpool. Perhaps they are still waiting for the permission from the city!?

ACS12
ACS12 on January 30, 2016 at 5:53 am

lol guys, it looks like LS13 will be showing Deadpool in IMAX after all. The guy from AMC Guest Services clearly said that the IMAX auditorium was going to be under construction during that time. I don’t know what happened. This is just funny at this point. It doesn’t look good for BvS.

I still think the movie will look better in Dolby Cinema. It’s just gonna be a rectangle in the middle of the IMAX screen @ LS13. But it still makes me curious to go check it out. It’s that huge screen, I tell ya.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 27, 2016 at 8:17 am

It looks like IMAX is splitting locations between The Revenant, Star Wars, and Finest Hours this weekend (between two films isn’t that uncommon, but it’s been years since I recall three different films playing in IMAX at once).

It’s annoying cause I’m flying out to the Bay Area this weekend to visit my sister and nephews, and one thing I thought I’d take them to was the laser IMAX at the Meteron. But Star Wars is playing there instead of Finest Hours, and don’t think young kids are gonna want to drive over 45 miles to see something again when there is plenty else to do.

If indeed the renovation is started before Deadpool comes around, that should leave enough time for BvS in laser, but as I’ve said before, given how long it’s taking them and the fact that Lincoln’s IMAX still does good business in liemax mode, until they’ve actually begun the renovation, I’m not taking anything as a given.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on January 27, 2016 at 6:08 am

oops, This is getting very strange. Aren’t they supposed to show the Finest Hours this weekend? I was planning to watch it @ LS13 this weekend for my last digital IMAX show. But now I guess I’m not going this weekend to watch TFA for the 3rd time there :(

ACS12
ACS12 on January 27, 2016 at 4:56 am

I’m getting worried. I checked Fandango, and it looks like TFA will be playing in IMAX at LS13 past January. That’s longer than the 1 month it was supposed to be on IMAX for. For them to finish renovations before March 25th would be a miracle. They haven’t even got started.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 25, 2016 at 2:54 pm

to moviebuff82-

you know damn well they will be raising prices when new techno stuff is installed. but at least with the LS IMAX you’re getting something for the extra $$$. the Cinema I on 3rd Ave. and 60th St. raised their regular adult ticket price to the highest in Manhattan. and this just for regular screenings no 3D, IMAX or 3D IMAX.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 25, 2016 at 1:41 pm

The laser imax at LS13 will be to the big apple what Mann’s Chinese IMAX will be to the city of Angels. I hope they don’t raise prices anytime soon.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on January 25, 2016 at 9:49 am

Same for me, the IMAX at LS13 is the only theater I will go if I want IMAX. I just have the impression that other IMAX theaters in NYC are not real or s**k. That’s why I did not watch The Revenant at AMC 34th’s IMAX theater, but I went to AMC prime @ empire 25 to watch it.

For AMC prime, it’s new so no need to worry about the bugs. And you may still want to go there in the future because Dobly cinema may show the movies IMAX doesn’t have.

But the laser IMAX experience @ LS13 will certainly be the best!

ACS12
ACS12 on January 25, 2016 at 8:07 am

I really hope the Dolby Cinema @ AMC Prime NEVER gets infested with bed bugs. That is the only theater I’m willing to go to at Empire 25. Once LS13 has IMAX with laser, I won’t really need to go to any other IMAX theater. That will be the only true IMAX in NY anyway.

celboy
celboy on January 25, 2016 at 7:01 am

I think the one thing to mention is that you can’t go by any online seating chart—-its not too accurate—-you have to go & see whats good for you. There is a lot of space between rows.

In regards to Lincoln Square Imax, the tough decision for them will be how many seats/rows they will lose (of the 600-ish)— if they goto newer recliners. Is that something they are willing to do?