AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on February 27, 2008 at 2:11 am

A number of the films mentioned above (Showtime, Insomnia, Men In Black II, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Signs, The Lord Of The Rings sequels, Gangs Of New York, the Kill Bill films, Van Helsing, Team America: World Police, Star Wars Episode III and the first Transformers run) were of 35mm prints projected on the IMAX screen. Another film that could be included is Everyone Says I Love You, which played a midnight show on the IMAX screen during its Oscar run beginning on December 6th, 1996.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 10, 2008 at 8:48 pm

The U2 movie is also being shown in digital 3d as well. Too bad Hannah Montana is not playing at this theater. When the IMAX theater was in its first years, I remember seeing a short policy film called “Mr. Big Screen” which showed a guy trying to opening up the big screen, which ends with a nice fly-by view of New York City. Before the film began, they had some usher announcing the film and what do to following a light show. To this day, has the IMAX part of the theater gained more popularity than the rest of the theater? It’s the only one with stadium seating.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on February 3, 2008 at 3:58 pm

A list of films that were shown in IMAX at the Lincoln Square from 2002 to today.

1/1/02- Beauty and the Beast: The IMAX Experience
9/21/07- Transformers: The IMAX Experience
11/16/07- Beowulf: The IMAX 3D Experience
12/14/07- I Am Legend: The IMAX Experience
1/23/08- U2 3D: The IMAX Experience

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 13, 2007 at 9:14 pm

When Beowulf opens, will it be shown in digital 3d alongside the Imax 3d and 35mm? I checked the advance listing and it only showed 35mm and IMAX 3D for the two screens.

BobT
BobT on September 25, 2007 at 4:20 am

When “T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous” played upstairs, it had the best ballyhoo/promotional display I ever saw. It was a full size T-Rex head, attached to the front of the complex wall on Broadway, up high with broken bricks around the neck that made it look like it had crashed thru the wall. It was neat.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 25, 2007 at 4:19 am

According to the intro, the Loews Auditorium here supports 70mm projection. I wonder if this is still the case and if so, do they run exclusively platter or do they have changeover capabilities for 70mm? I’d sure love to see AMC utilize the house in slower periods for 70mm revival if that’s possible.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 25, 2007 at 4:16 am

Have they changed the name of the individual auditoriums since the AMC takeover? The premier auditorium with the balcony and huge screen was named the “Loews Auditorium.” I imagine since AMC owns the name Loews now that there’d be no reason to change anything. This might be my favorite room in NYC to see a movie. Even better than the Ziegfeld, in my opinion. This has always been a top-notch multiplex.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 25, 2007 at 12:56 am

The name of the movie was called “T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous”. I saw a preview for the movie while at the Sony/Loews in Wayne, which was owned by the same chain that owned the Loews/Imax theater in NYC. BTW, which Imax screen is better, the Loews Imax at Palisades Center or the one at the big apple. For me, I prefer the one on the west side. The screen is larger than the one at the Museum of Natural History (called NatureMax) which was the first IMAX theater in NYC. The Imax theater at LSC (called Omnimax) is ok and gets you immersed into the movie but the screen is too squeezed for the film.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on September 25, 2007 at 12:45 am

I know I posted a comment about this a few years ago, but I’ll repost it again.

My first experience with the IMAX 3D was with this dinosaur film back in 1997. There was a brief intro about the special glasses that are cleaned their in house. The film, itself, reminded me a little of Jurassic Park, of course, but I don’t recall that it was a dino chaser-type of movie. I believe it was more of a National Geographic-type historical look at them in the museum and back in the day.

The next time I was here was to see later that year (or was it ‘98) to watch “Meet Joe Black” which we were late to see because we could not decide what to see. Trivial, yes, but what I do remember of that showing was that we got split up and I had to sit by myself way in the front next to two guys making out with a rose stem sticking out of the cup holder next to me.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 24, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Just like the Ziegfeld.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 24, 2007 at 9:04 pm

when built, the screen in the main auditorium, the Loews, was huge, 65 feet wide, 26 feet high. The curtain rose & lowered. They should use the curtain.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 24, 2007 at 8:53 pm

900 seats, I think. Do they still do the lights and sound show before the showing of an IMAX movie? That was awesome, and after that, one of the ushers came up and announced how the 3D works. When Beowulf opens at this theater, will the theater show it in digital and IMAX 3d? That would be awesome and I could see the grosses of this theater, home to some high profile premieres. Do they still have the posters along the long escalator leading up to the IMAX theater from Columbia Pictures, or has that been removed since the Loews Cineplex takeover and then the AMC merger?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 24, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Too bad about the curtain in “Loews.” How many seats in that room?

ErikH
ErikH on September 24, 2007 at 6:47 pm

There have been a few changes to the main auditorium since that photo (attached to the entry dated May 14) was taken in 2004. I have been to the main auditorium twice recently to attend screenings of “The Bourne Ultimatum” and “Superbad.” On the positive side: new seating has been installed. On the negative side: no curtain (which of course means that the brief sound and light show that accompanied the rising curtain has been discontinued).

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 24, 2007 at 6:08 pm

Also check here at the official AMC website: www.moviewatcher.com

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 24, 2007 at 5:59 pm

The name in the introduction needs to be updated. I believe that it is now “AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX.” Please see the listing at www.fandango.com I believe that the number was upped from 12 to 13 to include the IMAX screen.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 24, 2007 at 5:58 pm

And this is now an AMC house and that’s how this should be listed.

The one thing I don’t like about this plasce is the three theatres in the basement, which makes sneaking into them very difficult.
But the upstairs is fantastic and one you’re in the door you can go anywhere you like. Usually.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 24, 2007 at 5:22 pm

The photo linked above on May 14 is of the premiere auditorium mentioned in the intro.

BobT
BobT on September 24, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Returned to my old neighborhood hangout this weekend to see a very crowded 4:00 showing of an exclusive engagement of “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” Starring Brad Pitt. It was nice to see the complex, now in AMC’s hands in good condition. While the film just might possibly be the slowest moving picture I’ve ever seen in all my movie going life, the cinematography is Oscar worthy and the projection was so crystal clear I actually thought it was digital projection for while. That is until I saw cigarettes burns at a reel change and boy I haven’t noticed those in a film in while. The theater though not stadium, was pitched and at two hours and forty minutes and fifteen minutes of trailers it was very comfortable.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 15, 2007 at 9:40 pm

When the new Batman movie opens next year at this theater, it will be one of the most innovative films to use four key scenes using the IMAX camera. According to a post by photoman1001 (who posted this on a wrong theater in Paramus), this will be a big thing and will pave the way for future films to be shown in that format. Much like Paramount is doing with digital 3d for that fantasy movie Beowulf, they’re showing the film not only in analog 35mm, but in digital 3-d and in Imax 3-d, making this the first film to be shown in dual 3-d formats. The Lincoln Square 12 plex, plus IMAX, is a good example of how to show a movie the way it’s meant to be seen, even though the IMAX theater is the only one with stadium seating and a big screen.

William
William on May 14, 2007 at 2:39 pm

In a above post it stated that a few houses in the city are no longer THX certified. It is not that they all lost their THX certifications. It’s that the chains were not interested in renewing the licensing agreement with THX. Loews did this in a number of their Los Angeles locations as did AMC. The cost per screen to advertise that the house was THX equipped was around $10,000 a year per screen. So the bean counter for the chains found it was no longer needed, depending on the location. Since Loews was mainly the only chain in the area besides the former GCC now AMC in the Bronx. That had equipped their with THX, they dropped it. Their are more screening on the West Coast that were equipped with THX, than here in NYC.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 14, 2007 at 12:36 pm

This photo is claimed to show one of the auditoriums, but I don’t know which one. The caption says only that the photo was taken in 2004 prior to a special screening and ceremony honoring the 100th anniversary of Marcus Loew’s entry into showbiz:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/loewsLC04.jpg

Coate
Coate on March 22, 2007 at 6:25 am

“300” is currently playing here in IMAX.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 8, 2007 at 6:28 pm

does the loews auditorium still have 8 channel sdds? i would love to see a movie in that format.

SMEvans3
SMEvans3 on February 8, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Although lacking stadium seating in its upstairs auditoriums and going through periods of showing its age, this is generally a good theatre.

The intent of the Loew’s auditorium is admirable, but the execution showed that they just do not build them like the use to. When initially opened, the balcony blocked view of the top of the screen for persons sitting in the back two rows of the orchestra level, and a railing ran through the middle of the picture for persons sitting on the front row of the balcony. I have no idea how they fixed the orchestra seat problem. The railing is still a slight issue for shorter moviegoers.