Comments from Bill Huelbig

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,961 comments

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 25, 2018 at 8:49 am

Yes, that’s one of the perks of being born in 1954. Actually, I wish I’d been born a few years earlier. Then I’d have been able to see The Ten Commandments at the Criterion, North by Northwest at Radio City, Ben-Hur at the Loew’s State, Doctor Zhivago at the Capitol, etc.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Here is the Experience ad for the Warner Theater in Pittsburgh, August 1970.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 1:44 pm

I think that was the only time I sat in the front row at Radio City to see a movie. One week later I watched Singin' in the Rain from the third mezzanine.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Here’s the ad. It was a real thrill to know it was coming to Radio City, and a real thrill to actually see it there.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Thanks, Robert. I saw it there in May 1975, about three or four times in the same week.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 1:08 pm

I know. That’s how I found out the screen at the Stanley Warner (60') was 10 feet wider than the one at the Ziegfeld (50'). Apparently those Experience ads ran all across the country in 1970.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Yes, the Stanley Warner in Paramus was a great place to see Star Wars, and 2001 as well. I remember running up to see the Jupiter sequence from the front row.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 12:04 pm

In the summer of 1968, I tried to get my family to walk from Radio City Music Hall to the Port Authority Bus Terminal by way of the Capitol. We had just seen The Odd Couple. I badly wanted to show my little brother (who is now 55) the marquee for 2001, which I had seen there about a month before. But my mom knew that was not the shortest way to the bus terminal, so my plan failed.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 11:41 am

As 1977 turned into 1978, I waited in vain to see the marquee of the Loew’s Astor Plaza because they were showing Star Wars. They never did show it – the theater was located slightly west of Broadway.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 23, 2018 at 10:06 am

Vindanpar was right about My Fair Lady. The top ticket price was $5.50 every night, going up to $6.50 on New Year’s Eve.

All the roadshows had special New Year’s Eve shows. I used to watch the ball drop on TV, hoping I’d get to see some of the marquees. They always showed the Criterion.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig commented about City Cinemas Village East on May 22, 2018 at 1:56 pm

2001 is held over at the Village East for another week.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 21, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Good thing I still have my souvenir program that my dad bought for me at the Capitol on June 15, 1968. Price: $1. Price of each ticket that day: $4. That was a very big ticket in 1968. Similar to the $20 that the Village East is charging now, but it’s worth it.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 21, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Howard: There was no program at the Friday night show. I was hoping for one.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig commented about City Cinemas Village East on May 21, 2018 at 2:01 pm

bigjoe59: Please don’t let those minor flaws keep you from going to see it. What’s good and even great about the presentation far outweighs 3 or 4 scratches. If I hadn’t become so used to pristine digital prints, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed them. Seeing them reminded me of watching the movie at the Ziegfeld in 1974, a great feeling!

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 20, 2018 at 12:36 pm

NYer: I did talk to Keir Dullea at the latest Chiller. He talked about going to the Cannes Film Festival with Christopher Nolan. He said Gary Lockwood had pneumonia but would soon recover. He didn’t say if they were coming back, but they’d been there together twice before. So the chances are good.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 20, 2018 at 9:38 am

I saw How the West Was Won at the New Neon in Dayton, OH, and it was quite a special presentation. At the time (1996) it was the only theater in the United States equipped to show real 3-strip Cinerama. The man behind the Cinerama revival, John Harvey, just died earlier this month. Fans of Cinerama have a lot to be grateful to him for.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig commented about City Cinemas Village East on May 19, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I saw 2001 for the 73rd time in a theater last night at the Village East. The 73rd time turned out to be one of the best. Our projectionist introduced himself before the show. He said that the patrons who’d never seen it were in for an unforgettable Friday night. He wasn’t kidding.

The print was beautiful. About 3 or 4 scratches, but they only reminded you that you were watching a 70mm print. Some scenes were darker than I’d become used to, but it made the colors more intense. The volume level was exactly what a fan of the film would want.

I went with my cousin. We saw it together in 35mm in 1969, and he didn’t like it. Tonight, he liked it.

If you’ve only seen 2001 on video, it’s a completely different experience in 70mm. It really is the ultimate trip.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 19, 2018 at 7:42 am

Mark, where did you see it in Cinerama? Hope it was at the Capitol.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 18, 2018 at 11:42 pm

Just got back. The 73rd time turned out to be one of the best. Our projectionist introduced himself before the show. He said that the patrons who’d never seen it were in for an unforgettable Friday night. He wasn’t kidding.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 18, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Here is the 12/14/2001 ad for the Astor Plaza engagement of 2001.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am

Yes, tonight at 7:30. I’m wearing my Stanley Kubrick t-shirt. This will be my 73rd theatrical viewing of the movie. 8 times in Cinerama.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 18, 2018 at 10:02 am

I saw 2001 at the Astor Plaza during its engagement there in the year 2001. The print was not too good, and the intermission was cut out and the two halves were spliced together. It was still a great show. The sound was especially powerful.

I must have seen 2001 at the Ziegfeld at least 15-20 times.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 17, 2018 at 11:41 pm

There have been complaints about the Ziegfeld’s decor and color scheme, or about the 50-foot-wide screen not being big enough, but to each his own. I’ve loved the Ziegfeld ever since I saw West Side Story there in 1970.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig commented about City Cinemas Village East on May 17, 2018 at 2:44 pm

The 7:30 showing of 2001 tomorrow night is sold out.

Bill Huelbig commented about Loew's Capitol Theatre on May 17, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I only regret that the Ziegfeld is no more. 2001 would most likely be playing there starting tomorrow. I know the Ziegfeld isn’t well liked by a lot of members here, but I always loved it. It was a very sad day for me and the many other Ziegfeld fans who went there on its last day with their cameras, and their cherished memories.