Comments from DavidSimpson

DavidSimpson commented about Plaza Cinema on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm

My scanned photographs were taken in December 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about O2 ABC Glasgow on Dec 1, 2013 at 10:34 pm

My scanned photographs were taken in December 1998, when the cinema was fully open.

DavidSimpson commented about Century Theatre on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

My scanned photographs were taken in September 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about Scala Cinema on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:18 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008.

DavidSimpson commented about Frontier Cinema on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I’m afraid I misread the internet. As the street view shows, the Foresters have moved out and, checking again, it appears their hall in Newry is now (November 2013) in William Street.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema on Nov 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I can confirm that the Cinema closed at the end of summer 1977.

DavidSimpson commented about Palace Cinema on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:33 pm

My photograph was taken in September 2008, evidently not long before the former cinema was renovated/reconstructed and reopened as a retail outlet.

DavidSimpson commented about Palladium Cinema on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:27 pm

My photograph was taken in November 1998. The building was up for sale, and not in any obvious use at that time.

DavidSimpson commented about Movie House Coleraine on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:22 pm

My photograph was taken in November 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about Movie House Maghera on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm

My photograph was taken in February 1998, which puts the opening date further back.

DavidSimpson commented about Dundonald Omniplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

My photographs were taken in February 2009.

DavidSimpson commented about Movieland on Nov 9, 2013 at 9:33 am

My scanned photographs of the exterior were taken in March 2000, and my scanned photographs of the cinema organ were taken in September 2008. The Movieland is owned and operated by local businessman Ernie Watson.

DavidSimpson commented about Newry Omniplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 9:19 am

My scanned photographs were taken in March 2000. This is a standard shopping mall multiplex but the foyer, at first floor level, had very imaginatively been decorated in ‘Hollywood’ style, with individual entrances to each of the screens. Regrettably, when I visited again, in October 2013, I found that all that decoration had been removed when the cinema was significantly upgraded and refurbished, including the installation of a large format OmnimaXX auditorium.

DavidSimpson commented about Vogue Cinema on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:47 am

My scanned photographs were taken in March 2000, when I had the pleasure of meeting the operator, John Quinn. My photographs of the closed cinema were taken in October 2013.

DavidSimpson commented about Ritz Cinema on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008. The Ritz actually opened in 1954, although I gather it failed to live up to the standards of comfort and heating set by the 1936 Regal! The Ritz was purchased in 1961 by J. J. McManus, a local entrepreneur, who continued showing films until 1992, its closure presumably a consequence of the opening of the Castle Entertainment Centre (in the same way that the Ritz had ‘seen off’ the earlier Townhall Cinema!).

DavidSimpson commented about Regal Cinema on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:19 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008. The Regal opened on Saturday 4 January 1936 with a Special Hospital Benefit Performance of “Friday the Thirteenth”, starring Jessie Matthews and Sonnie Hale. Regular performances began the following Monday with “Roberta”, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The auditorium walls featured hand painted murals of Devenish Abbey on one side and the old Weirs Bridge on the other. Having been acquired by the Rank Organisation, the Regal closed in February 1967 and was purchased by Bobby Donaldson, a local businessman. It was later sold to the Fermanagh Unionist Association and re-opened in May 1972 as the Fermanagh Unionist headquarters. I understand the auditorium murals survive. In September 2008 the foyer area was occupied by retailer ‘Toy Town’, while the Unionist Association used what I assume was the former Pit stalls entrance down the side of the building.

DavidSimpson commented about Enniskillen Omniplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008.

DavidSimpson commented about Ritz Multiplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:09 am

The information above is not quite accurate. The twin-screen Ritz was not totally demolished; instead, three additional screens were added in a brand new second floor extension, although during the course of this work the whole building was given a full makeover and an upgrade. The new screens are 1, 2 and 3, while the original auditoriums are numbers 4 and 5. The Ritz is owned by local businessman Columba Eastwood. My photograph of the original Ritz was taken in November 1998; my photographs of the current Ritz were taken in September 2008.

DavidSimpson commented about Carrickfergus Omniplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 6:48 am

My photographs were taken in September 2000.

DavidSimpson commented about Belfast Cineplex on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:22 pm

My photographs were taken in September 2008. The Cineplex closed in spring 2010 when the Kennedy Centre shut down for a rebuild/refurbishment that resulted in it doubling in size. An 8-screen Omniplex replaced the Cineplex; although substantially in the same location, the three additional screens and the rebuild necessary to produce higher ceilings so stadium seating could be installed in all the auditoriums resulted in, effectively, a new cinema. This has its own, separate, entry on Cinema Treasures.

DavidSimpson commented about Odeon Belfast on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:03 pm

My photographs were taken in September 2008.

DavidSimpson commented about Iveagh Movie Studios on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:03 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008.

DavidSimpson commented about Bangor Omniplex on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:21 am

Leaflet obtained in November 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about Bangor Omniplex on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:19 am

My photograph showing this cinema as the Bangor Multiplex was taken in November 1998. Three additional screens were at that time being announced as “new” (see my leaflet scan) so the cinema had evidently been enlarged fairly recently, and presumably this was when the name was changed from Bangor Cineplex to Bangor Multiplex. More recently (2008?) it was acquired by Omniplex and subsequently refurbished and rebranded.

DavidSimpson commented about State Cinema on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:00 am

My photograph of the closed State was taken in November 1998.