Comments from DavidSimpson

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Olympia Picture Palace & Electric Theatre on Sep 25, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I have a diary note that I saw “The Poseidon Adventure” at the Olympia on 9th August 1973. I can remember nothing of this visit, but it does confirm there was some film activity in its later years.

DavidSimpson commented about Odeon Hereford on Aug 14, 2016 at 9:23 am

By August 2016 Freedom Church had indeed moved into the building. Rather amusingly, the Odeon logo “FANATICAL ABOUT FILM” is still visible over the entrance!

DavidSimpson commented about Everyman Bristol on Aug 14, 2016 at 8:58 am

Screen 1.

DavidSimpson commented about Odeon Cheltenham on Aug 14, 2016 at 8:43 am

‘The Celluloid Ladies’, relief sculptures that flanked the Odeon name on the cinema’s frontage, were saved during demolition. They were restored in August 2015 and have been relocated, with an information plaque, to an outside wall of the town’s Brewery Quarter, which contains the Cineworld and Screening Rooms cinemas. See my photos.

DavidSimpson commented about Palace Cinema on Aug 14, 2016 at 6:13 am

By August 2016 (see my photos) the Palace had been converted into a library and Customer Services for Caerphilly County Borough Council. The frontage had been cleaned and restored, but it was unclear how much of the auditorium block survived, as a One Stop convenience store had been built to the left of the Palace, obscuring the rear of the former cinema.

DavidSimpson commented about Plaza Cinema on Aug 14, 2016 at 6:02 am

By August 2016 the Plaza had become home to retail outlet The Original Factory Shop (see my photos).

DavidSimpson commented about Stag Theatre on Aug 14, 2016 at 3:42 am

In July 2016 the seating capacities are as follows: Stag Theatre: 450 seats, plus an additional 140 that can be placed on the stage for performances ‘in the round’; Cinema Screen 1: 129; Cinema Screen 2: 120 and the Stag Plaza Suite: 150 (seated, theatre-style). A total of 989 seats.

DavidSimpson commented about Playhouse Cinema on Jul 4, 2016 at 12:32 pm

By the time I visited, in June 2016, the building had become The Play House, a lounge bar.

DavidSimpson commented about Eden Court Theatre on Jul 4, 2016 at 11:31 am

The seating capacities of the cinemas and theatres are: La Scala cinema: 138 seats; The Playhouse cinema: 86 seats; Empire theatre: 840 seats and One Touch theatre: 247 seats (223 in the stalls, 24 in the balcony).

In a nice touch, the two cinemas and the Empire theatre are named after former cinemas and a cinema/theatre that entertained the city’s inhabitants for many years. There are heritage information panels outside the auditoriums.

The two cinemas are known collectively as The Robertson Screens in commemoration of the generous donation made by the Robertson Group, the main contractor for the building of the cinemas in 2007. The two auditoriums are back to back, with a common projection room between them.

DavidSimpson commented about Pathe Les Galeries on Jun 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm

In June 2016 I saw “The Neon Demon”, starring Elle Fanning and Christina Hendricks, in Screen 5. In a nice touch, as can be seen from my photographs, some of the projection rooms have glazed rear walls, so the projectors and projection equipment can be seen by patrons.

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Cinetoile Malley Lumiere on Jun 18, 2016 at 2:34 am

When I visited the Cinetoile in June 2016 I was told the cinema opened in 2001, and that the seating capacities were: Screen 1: 299; Screen 2: 299; Screen 3: 299; Screen 4: 129; Screen 5: 225 and Screen 6: 226. A total of 1,477 seats.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinerama Empire on Jun 18, 2016 at 12:38 am

During a visit to Geneva in June 2016 I met Didier Zuchuat, owner of the Cinerama Empire, at his other cinema, Cine 17. He told me that the cinema that was demolished to make way for the Empire opened in 1923 as Cinema Colibri. It was enlarged and renamed Cinema Pelican in the early 1950s before closing in 1965. As noted above, its replacement, the Cinerama Empire, opened in 1967.

At the Cinerama Empire I saw “Money Monster”, starring George Clooney. This is a truly superb cinema, the largest single screen in the city.

DavidSimpson commented about Cine 17 on Jun 18, 2016 at 12:11 am

On a trip to Geneva in June 2016 I visited Cine 17 to see Woody Allen’s latest film “Café Society”. This is an absolutely superb cinema, extremely luxurious, with very comfortable, fully reclining seats. The auditorium is attractively bathed in changing lighting, principally in red, green and blue. In a lovely touch, a former doorway has been converted into an alcove containing coat hangers – no doubt very useful for inclement weather!

During my visit I was fortunate to meet cinema owner Didier Zuchuat. As well as also running the Cinerama Empire, he has an enthusiast’s interest in cinemas (for many years he was a member of the UK’s Cinema Theatre Association) and we had a lovely chat about all things cinema before I headed off to my next film – at the Cinerama Empire!

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Auditorium Arditi on Jun 17, 2016 at 3:08 pm

During a visit to Geneva I met up with Didier Zuchuat. In addition to being a cinema operator (Cine 17 and Cinerama Empire) he has a wider interest in cinemas. He told me that Cinema Auditorium Arditi started life, in 1957, as Cinema Le Paris, with 898 seats. At some stage it was renamed Le Paris Cine Disney. Later on, it was renamed Cine Manhattan. That closed in 1988. The current building is named after its benefactor, writer and lecturer Metin Arditi (through his Arditi Foundation).

DavidSimpson commented about Cine Lux on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:41 pm

When I visited Geneva, in early June 2016, the Cine Lux was closed for renovation.

DavidSimpson commented about Pathe Rex on Jun 17, 2016 at 12:55 pm

The Pathe Rex is situated in the basement of the Confederation Centre. I was told by the cashier that the seating capacities are 400 in Screen 1 and between 130 and 170 in Screens 2 and 3. She added that the Centre is due to be revamped in 2018, for a grand re-opening in December 2019. She hopes the cinemas will remain, either completely unaffected or after being refurbished.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema City on Jun 17, 2016 at 12:30 pm

When I visited, in June 2016, Cinema City was closed for refurbishment. A notice on the door said that “In order to continue to offer the best of cinema for many years the City closes its doors for a facelift. We look forward to seeing you at our new room.” The date it had closed was not given, and similarly no re-opening date was provided. During this period of closure, patrons were urged to visit the nearby Cinema Scala.

DavidSimpson commented about Blackburn Hall on May 24, 2016 at 9:32 am

When I visited in May 2016 I was unable to gain entry, but through the front doors I could see a commemorative plaque in the foyer. It was not easy to read, but from what I could make out it said that the building had been acquired by Rothwell Urban District Council in (I believe, though this date was unfortunately indistinct) March 1959 – when, following alterations and extensions, it was re-named and re-opened as the Blackburn Hall. I could just see into the auditorium, which has a flat floor and stage. The date of March 1959 does tie in with the information in the comments above.

DavidSimpson commented about Roxy Cinema on May 24, 2016 at 9:21 am

Although known as Café Sport, the building is actually home to two gyms, two function rooms and a bar. When I visited in May 2016 it was up for sale.

DavidSimpson commented about IMC Banbridge on May 20, 2016 at 1:55 pm

On Friday 12th February 2016 IMC Cinemas bought the Iveagh Movie Studios from owner Dominic Quinn. The price was not divulged, but the Studios had been put up for sale in 2013 at an asking price of £1.3m.

IMC announced it would be spending £2.5m on a major refurbishment, which would include a new shop, updated, state of the art Dolby sound equipment and bigger screens. The company might even increase the number of auditoria by adding a VIP screen.

Doubts had been cast over the future of the Studios when, in 2014, IMC’s rival Omniplex was granted planning permission for an eight-screen cinema at a new leisure destination called The Outlet. It is unclear whether that new cinema will now go ahead.

Sadly, long-time Studios manager Giles Conlon decided to leave when IMC took over. He had been there since six months before the Studios opened. (An opening date of 26th March 2004 was quoted, which updates that given in the Overview above.)

DavidSimpson commented about Ham Yard Hotel Cinema on May 19, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Sadly, no films are being listed on the hotel’s website, and it appears that public film shows have ended. (Perhaps this is not too surprising: when I visited, on a Sunday afternoon in August 2015 to see “The Terminator”, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, no-one else turned up. It was wonderful to see such a fabulous film in such luxurious surroundings, but it did not bode well!)

DavidSimpson commented about IMC Enniskillen on May 19, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Sometime between 2013 and 2014 the Omniplex was acquired by IMC and renamed accordingly.

DavidSimpson commented about IMC Omagh on May 19, 2016 at 12:04 pm

In December 2015 the Multiscreen Studios were acquired by IMC and renamed accordingly.

DavidSimpson commented about Borsi D'Essai on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:00 am

I should have added that the local Laurel & Hardy group, known as “Teste Dure” (“Block-Heads”, one of the comedy duo’s films) held their annual meetings at the Cinema Borsi from 2006 to 2013 – especially as their meeting in 2016 was the reason for my visit to Prato! (That meeting was held in the Teatro Magnolfi, a community theatre in a former orphanage, now a hostel, outside the walled centre of the town.) The L&H group is run by local residents (and teachers) Alessandro Santi and his wife Francesca Noci.

DavidSimpson commented about Multiplex Omnia Center on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:27 am

I can add that the Multiplex opened in late 2009.