Comments from DavidSimpson

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Etoile on Nov 5, 2017 at 5:29 am

According to Cinema Theatre Association member Michael Mantell, who visited Palermo in October 2017, the Etoile had closed by then.

DavidSimpson commented about Reel Cinemas on Oct 31, 2017 at 6:28 am

In January 2017 Reel began a major transformation of this former Apollo cinema. Screenings continued while the whole cinema was given a superb upgrade, with all nine screens being gutted and refitted with premier seating, with more leg room, and new carpets. Two of the auditoriums have been converted into VIP and a Premier Lounges.

There is also an upgraded foyer with revamped food and drink concessions including a new licensed bar. The attractively designed foyer includes digital screens showcasing the latest film times, trailers and cinema offers, and a comfortable seating area.

The ‘grand unveiling’ was held on Thursday 21st September 2017, in the presence of the Major of Burnley, Cllr Howard Baker, and MP Jack Straw, when invited guests enjoyed a screening of “Kingsman: The Golden Circle”, starring Taron Egerton and Colin Firth.

Revised seating capacities are: VIP Lounge (previously Screen 1): 29; Screen 2: 176; Premier Lounge (previously Screen 3): 29; Screen 4: 244; Screen 5: 65; Screen 6: 244; Screen 7: 65; Screen 8: 176 and Screen 9: 62. This total of 1,090 reveals the effect of the upgrading on the original seating total of 1,632.

I visited on 23rd October 2017. Deciding to treat myself, I saw “Geostorm”, starring Gerard Butler, in the VIP Lounge. Tickets cost £17.50 (or £30 for two), as opposed to £6.00 in the ‘standard’ screens, so I was a little surprised when nine other patrons joined me for this Monday afternoon screening. However, in addition to the extreme luxury, with electrically operated seats with extendable foot rests, the supply of ‘freebies’ perhaps explained this in part: I was offered a choice of popcorn or nachos, I was handed a ‘goody bag’ containing chocolate bars and a small bottle of water, a glass of orange juice or Prosecco was offered as I entered the auditorium and I was given a bottle of Budweiser as the show began. Then, halfway through the film, we were given our choice of a Galaxy ice cream bar!

My congratulations on Reel on a superb refurbishment.

DavidSimpson commented about Light Cinemas Sheffield on Oct 31, 2017 at 5:19 am

I was given my usual warm welcome by the friendly staff when I visited, on 20th October 2017, to see “The Snowman”, starring Michael Fessbender. One trademark of the Light cinemas is their use of multi-colour design in the auditoriums, making them very attractive and welcoming. The foyer is also very well laid out, with lattice screens separating bar and cafe areas. Seating capacities are: Screen 1:170; Screen 2:56; Screen 3:54; Screen 4:50; Screen 5:64; Screen 6:101; Screen 7:82; Screen 8:167 and Screen 9:128.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema World on Sep 10, 2017 at 5:32 am

The Cinema World is adjacent to the Douglas Village Shopping Centre, at Junction 8 of the N40.

DavidSimpson commented about Ormonde Cinema on Sep 10, 2017 at 4:45 am

According to the on-line National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, the Ormande opened circa 1950. It is not listed in the 1940 Kine Year Book (KYB), but it is in the 1953 edition. It had a 30ft wide proscenium. The proprietor was The Southern Star Cinema Company; presumably that company built the Ormande after closing the Southern Star (which is listed in the 1940 KYB, but not in the 1953 edition.)

DavidSimpson commented about Gate Multiplex on Sep 10, 2017 at 4:34 am

Seating capacities are: Screen 1:259; Screen 2:268; Screen 3:117; Screen 4:180; Screen 5:155 and Screen 6:73.

DavidSimpson commented about Gate Multiplex on Sep 10, 2017 at 4:31 am

Seating capacities are: Screen 1 (with 3D capability):199; Screen 2:179; Screen 3:125; Screen 4:118 and Screen 5:88.

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Movie Junction Drive-In Cinema on Sep 10, 2017 at 4:23 am

During a trip to south-west Ireland, a friend and I visited the Movie Junction on 29th August 2017 to see “The Hitman’s Bodyguard”, starring Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson. Naturally, given the long hours of daylight, there was only one screening each evening in each screen: “The Hitman’s Bodyguard” started at 9.30pm, while “Rough Night”, starring Scarlett Johansson, started at 10.30pm. Our film was in Screen 2; this has no canopies, but it was a clear, dry night. The whole set-up is pretty ‘rough and ready’, but the picture quality was excellent and the soundtrack came through on the car radio just fine. It was a wonderful experience!

DavidSimpson commented about Reel Picture House on Sep 10, 2017 at 3:18 am

This cinema is situated in the Blackpool Retail Park and Shopping Centre. When I called in, I was told that it opened in 2005. This ties in slightly better with the Park’s opening date of 2000. It is one of two Reel cinemas, the other being at Ballincollig, a few miles to the west of Cork.

Seating capacities are: Screen 1:263; Screen 2:215; Screen 3:200; Screen 4:137; Screen 5:126; Screen 6:98 and Screen 7:94.

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Cineworld Cinema - South Ruislip on Sep 8, 2017 at 11:15 am

Seating capacities are: Screen 1:309; 2:250; 3:83; 4:129; 5:129; 6:77; 7: 45; 8:199; 9:173; 10:228 and 11:56.

DavidSimpson commented about Bantry Cinemax 3 on Sep 8, 2017 at 11:00 am

According to the lady manning the front desk at the Bantry museum, the Cinemax (and the adjoining apartments) were constructed by local builders Bob Munane and Gerard O'Shea. The Cinemax apparently opened in early 2000. (This date ties in with the closure, in the late 1980s, of the town’s other cinema, the Stella.)

DavidSimpson commented about Stella Cinema on Sep 8, 2017 at 10:55 am

When I visited Bantry, in August 2017, the former Stella was up for sale, with only part of the front being used by the administration staff of the Bantry Show. They kindly allowed me to look around, but there was no trace of the building’s former life as a cinema or other place of entertainment.

I then visited the town’s museum, where the lady manning the front desk, a life-long resident, told me the Stella was built in 1920. Long-time projectionist Fred Burkett had a photography shop in the town. The 1940 Kine Year Book (KYB) lists the proprietor as W. McSweeney, with films booked at Tralee (and seating for 400); the lady had said it was owned by Mrs McSweeney, of Tralee. The 1953 KYB lists the proprietor as A. McSweeney, possibly W. McSweeney’s widow. (The 1953 KYB lists seating for 600, a 7ft wide proscenium and a 15ft deep stage.) Later, the Stella was owned by Rex Murphy, and managed by his son Gerard. Sadly, Gerard died in a boating accident in 1985. The Stella apparently continued for a few more years, but closed in the late 1980s. (Please note: This history is based on the lady’s recollections, having been put ‘on the spot’ when I suddenly turned up, and details I later discovered in the KYBs. So I would welcome any clarification or further information that other contributors can provide!)

DavidSimpson commented about New Empire Theatre on Sep 8, 2017 at 10:01 am

After many years of gradual dereliction, and the devastating 2015 fire, Hong Kong-based Sky Eagle Properties Ltd bought the building in 2016 for £750,000. Their planning application seeks permission for 24 flats, with shops and a community centre on the ground floor. As can be seen from my series of photographs, demolition took place between October/November 2016 and August 2017. This seemed an inordinately long time, although I believe at least two demolition contractors were involved, as the Victorian bricks in the fly tower were carefully removed and crated up to be reused.

DavidSimpson commented about Sussex Exchange Cinema on Sep 8, 2017 at 8:58 am

As Nick says in the Overview, this really is the height of luxury! I visited on Sunday 20th August 2017 to see “The Dark Tower”, starring Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey, and treated myself to one of the premium VIP seats along the back row. This cost £10, on top of the standard admission price of £14.95, but, as a treat, it was well worth it for the sheer luxury! The staff were very welcoming, and the show was introduced by a member of staff, all of which provided a nice personal touch.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema De Luxe on Sep 8, 2017 at 8:33 am

The Wetherspoon pub, The Picture Playhouse, opened in July 2017. As it occupies the space previously used by the Playhouse/Curzon and the Cinema de Luxe, it provides something of a ‘2 for 1’ for us cinema buffs!

DavidSimpson commented about Redstack Playhouse on Sep 8, 2017 at 8:25 am

The Wetherspoon pub, appropriately named The Picture Playhouse, finally opened in July 2017. It includes the space previously occupied by the Cinema de Luxe next door, making this something of a ‘2 for 1’ treat for us cinema buffs!

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Cartoon's on Aug 17, 2017 at 3:53 am

No, it screens art-house and mainstream films. I do not know why it has such an unusual name. Perhaps it started as a children’s cinema. The name is certainly misleading now.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinem'actueel on Aug 17, 2017 at 3:49 am

Yes, David, although “actueel” is Dutch for “current”. So presumably the name in English would be something like “Cinema Now”. I should have included this in my Overview.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Majestic on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:42 pm

By August 2017 the Zara clothes store had relocated across the road, and the Cinema Majestic was home to a branch of the Bershka clothing chain.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Kiek in de Pot on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:00 pm

I believe this cinema opened circa July 2016, following the closure of the associated Cinem'actueel, which was in the town centre. This multiplex is operated by C.Cinemas, which also runs the City Bioscoop in Roosendaal and the Cine-Service in Etten-Leur, both towns not far from Bergen op Zoom. It’s a strange design, in that the best view, of the glazed foyer/bar, is from the busy main road, whereas patrons walking from the car park see only rather daunting, plain blank walls.

DavidSimpson commented about Marivaux Cinema on Aug 15, 2017 at 4:13 pm

My photographs, taken in August 2017, show that the Marivaux has been demolished and replaced by an apartment block.

DavidSimpson commented about Crosly Cinema on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:32 pm

On a visit to Liege in August 2017 I happened to stay in the Ibis hotel overlooking the street where the Crosly was situated. As can be seen from my photograph, a large number of buildings, including No. 14 (the cinema’s address) have been demolished, leaving a large swathe of vacant ground. So, assuming the cinema’s address is correct, the building has been demolished. Perhaps another contributor will be able to absolutely confirm this.

DavidSimpson commented about Empire Theatre on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:03 pm

I visited the Empire on Friday 28th July 2017 to see “The Godfather”, starring Marlon Brando and Robert de Niro. For the time being, at least, films are shown from DVD/Blu-ray. I was made very welcome by members of the Trust, and John, the projectionist, was pleased to show me around before the film started. A very enjoyable evening.

DavidSimpson commented about Cineworld Cinema - Ely on Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 am

On its convenient, out of town location, this is a worthy addition to the Cineworld circuit. I visited on Sunday 23rd July 2017 and enjoyed Christopher Nolan’s epic “Dunkirk” in Screen 1, the largest, which has a ‘box’ at the rear with two seats and wheelchair space. Seating capacities are: Screen 1: 240; Screen 2: 118; Screen 3: 155; Screen 4: 129; Screen 5: 75 and Screen 6: 220.

DavidSimpson commented about Majestic Theatre on Jul 28, 2017 at 2:59 am

In April 2013 owner Nadine Smith, who acquired the business as a bar and snooker hall in 1984, and developed it into a bar, snooker and events venue, decided to retire. The business was put on the market at £395,000. It re-opened as BAR62 in 2014.