Comments from DavidSimpson

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Cinefamily at The Silent Movie Theatre on Jul 5, 2014 at 7:24 am

This really is an amazing survivor! I visited on 4th July 2014 to see the reissue of The Beatles' “A Hard Day’s Night”. A large, very appreciative audience thoroughly enjoyed the film, breaking out into spontaneous applause at the end. The cinema is what I describe as ‘endearingly ramshackle’, with four rows of two-seater sofas at the front and rows of truly ancient (possibly even 1942 original!) seats behind – and free-standing plastic seats at the end of every other row, to bump up the capacity! There’s also only one toilet closet for each sex, meaning queues before the feature comes on! There had been a live music event in the afternoon, and movies are just one aspect of the entertainment on offer. But there is a super, really imaginative line-up: long may this wonderful gem survive!

DavidSimpson commented about Cinemark at the Pike on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I spent a very pleasant afternoon at the Cinemark on 29th June 2014 watching “22 Jump Street” in Screen 8. It has a rather plain frontage, but the foyer is large and spacious, with splendidly colourful decoration above the concession stand and the entrances to the screens. The auditoriums are extremely comfortable and the staff friendly and welcoming. It gets my recommendation!

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Sundance Cinemas Sunset 5 on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:59 am

I visited the Sunset 5 in July 2014 to see “Snowpiercer”, an apocalyptic fable based on a comic book, which I imagine is a typical ‘Sundance’ limited release offering. I’m pleased to say the 5pm show attracted a reasonable crowd. The cinema is in superb shape, with friendly staff and a really welcoming atmosphere. I have added a number of photos, including two of the upstairs lounge, no doubt a very nice area to relax in as part of a visit.

DavidSimpson commented about El Capitan Theatre on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:12 am

I went to see “Malificent” last night, the recent re-working of ‘Sleeping Beauty’, starring Angelina Jolie. The feature was preceded by a very elaborate live magic show starring Greg Wilson which really added to the occasion. I’ve added some photos I took. They aren’t that great (I was in the back row of the circle) but hopefully they give an idea of the really elaborate lighting and stage effects. All this, and the film was in 3D (which was excellent), for only $13 for me as a senior (and only $16 for adults) made this a wonderful evening’s entertainment. And there was also a comprehensive display of props from the film! Just a shame the audience (for the 7.30pm show) was a bit sparse, with most of them in the stalls and only about half a dozen of us in the huge rear circle.

DavidSimpson commented about Nuovo Gioiello on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:18 pm

The cinema is on the right!

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Teatro Progresso on Jun 22, 2014 at 12:36 am

By the time of my visit, in June 2014, the building was being used as a household goods shop.

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Teatro Corso and Corsino on Jun 22, 2014 at 12:22 am

Further to the above comments, the new multiplex in the Centro Culturale Candiani opened in December 2013 and, on my visit to Mestre in June 2014, there were no films being advertised outside the Cinema Teatro Corso. Presumably, as predicted, it closed when the multiplex opened.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema Piave on Jun 21, 2014 at 11:49 pm

By June 2014, when my photographs were taken, the cinema had closed and was awaiting its fate.

DavidSimpson commented about Henry's Hall on Apr 25, 2014 at 2:53 pm

After standing empty for some years, Henry’s Hall was demolished in April 2014.

DavidSimpson commented about Plaza Cinema on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:32 am

My scanned photographs were taken in December 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about O2 ABC Glasgow on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm

My scanned photographs were taken in December 1998, when the cinema was fully open.

DavidSimpson commented about Century Theatre on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:06 am

My scanned photographs were taken in September 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about Scala Cinema on Nov 14, 2013 at 12:18 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008.

DavidSimpson commented about Frontier Cinema on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m afraid I misread the internet. As the street view shows, the Foresters have moved out and, checking again, it appears their hall in Newry is now (November 2013) in William Street.

DavidSimpson commented about Cinema on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:04 am

I can confirm that the Cinema closed at the end of summer 1977.

DavidSimpson commented about Palace Cinema on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm

My photograph was taken in September 2008, evidently not long before the former cinema was renovated/reconstructed and reopened as a retail outlet.

DavidSimpson commented about Palladium Cinema on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm

My photograph was taken in November 1998. The building was up for sale, and not in any obvious use at that time.

DavidSimpson commented about Movie House Coleraine on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm

My photograph was taken in November 1998.

DavidSimpson commented about Movie House Maghera on Nov 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm

My photograph was taken in February 1998, which puts the opening date further back.

DavidSimpson commented about Dundonald Omniplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm

My photographs were taken in February 2009.

DavidSimpson commented about Movieland on Nov 9, 2013 at 1:33 am

My scanned photographs of the exterior were taken in March 2000, and my scanned photographs of the cinema organ were taken in September 2008. The Movieland is owned and operated by local businessman Ernie Watson.

DavidSimpson commented about Newry Omniplex on Nov 9, 2013 at 1:19 am

My scanned photographs were taken in March 2000. This is a standard shopping mall multiplex but the foyer, at first floor level, had very imaginatively been decorated in ‘Hollywood’ style, with individual entrances to each of the screens. Regrettably, when I visited again, in October 2013, I found that all that decoration had been removed when the cinema was significantly upgraded and refurbished, including the installation of a large format OmnimaXX auditorium.

DavidSimpson commented about Vogue Cinema on Nov 9, 2013 at 12:47 am

My scanned photographs were taken in March 2000, when I had the pleasure of meeting the operator, John Quinn. My photographs of the closed cinema were taken in October 2013.

DavidSimpson commented about Ritz Cinema on Nov 9, 2013 at 12:32 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008. The Ritz actually opened in 1954, although I gather it failed to live up to the standards of comfort and heating set by the 1936 Regal! The Ritz was purchased in 1961 by J. J. McManus, a local entrepreneur, who continued showing films until 1992, its closure presumably a consequence of the opening of the Castle Entertainment Centre (in the same way that the Ritz had ‘seen off’ the earlier Townhall Cinema!).

DavidSimpson commented about Regal Cinema on Nov 9, 2013 at 12:19 am

My photographs were taken in September 2008. The Regal opened on Saturday 4 January 1936 with a Special Hospital Benefit Performance of “Friday the Thirteenth”, starring Jessie Matthews and Sonnie Hale. Regular performances began the following Monday with “Roberta”, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The auditorium walls featured hand painted murals of Devenish Abbey on one side and the old Weirs Bridge on the other. Having been acquired by the Rank Organisation, the Regal closed in February 1967 and was purchased by Bobby Donaldson, a local businessman. It was later sold to the Fermanagh Unionist Association and re-opened in May 1972 as the Fermanagh Unionist headquarters. I understand the auditorium murals survive. In September 2008 the foyer area was occupied by retailer ‘Toy Town’, while the Unionist Association used what I assume was the former Pit stalls entrance down the side of the building.