31 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Hornchurch, Essex, today a district to the east of Greater London. Opened as the Towers Cinema on 3rd August 1935 screening the double bill programme, “The Phantom Light” starring Binnie Hale and “Vagabond Lady” starring Robert Young.
It was built for and operated initially by the independent D.J. James Circuit and had interior decorations by Clark & Fenn. The Towers Cinema had a fully equipped stage and dressing rooms and a cafe/ballroom.
By 1939 it had been taken over by another small independent circuit, Eastern Cinemas who in turn were taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres circuit in 1943. It was re-named Odeon from 26th June 1950.
The Odeon closed on 6th October 1973 screening the James Bond movie “Live and Let Die” and was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Hall. It became a Mecca Bingo Club and the building was in excellent condition when it was closed on 1st November 2015. Reason for closure was the building had been purchased by Lidl supermarkets to be demolished and a new supermarket will be built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater