Comments from guarina

Showing 1 - 25 of 222 comments

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Oriente on May 30, 2015 at 5:07 am

This theater was the property of impresario Santiaguito Hernández. There is an Oriente theater in Santiago in the 1959 telephone book listed at José A. Saco 115.

guarina
guarina commented about Teatro Hernandez on May 30, 2015 at 5:01 am

This theater was built by artistic impresario Santiaguito Hernández, opened on February 2, 1946, opposite Juan Vicente Cárdenas Park, named after the first mayor of the town. It has been renamed Hanoi.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Bayamo on May 30, 2015 at 12:11 am

This theater had 1,130 seats.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Florindo Gomez Cancio on May 29, 2015 at 2:36 pm

The building had been a tobacco warehouse. Florindo Gómez Cancio had been the film operator in the theater, nicknamed “Ñego”, who died in 1991.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Valentino on May 28, 2015 at 9:22 pm

This movie theater was located at Calzada del Cerro 1202 and Infanta, and stood high on the northwest corner of Esquina de Tejas (the corner of clay roof tiles). It had a lone palm tree in front, and was modest and very old. It had been named after Italian actor of silent movies in the ‘20’s Rodolfo Valentino. I was never inside, but it showed “Tania la bella salvaje”, a 1948 Mexican movie with Rosa Carmina. I believe it was torn down in the ‘80’s to make way for some apartment buildings.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Marti on May 28, 2015 at 6:38 pm

This theater was located at Calle Aulet #75 between Libertad and Maceo.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Fedora on May 28, 2015 at 6:32 pm

This theater was located at Independencia #41 between Calixto García and Maceo.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine El Milanes on May 28, 2015 at 4:22 pm

El Milanés theater was destroyed by fire and the Aguada was built in 1948, with 675 seats, owned by Vicente Alvarez, Lorenzo Rosa and Antonio Dobaño.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Tunas on May 27, 2015 at 2:38 pm

This theater is located at Calle Francisco Varona #288, between Joaquín Agüero and Angel Guardia, in Las Tunas.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Teatro Manati on May 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm

The first Cine-Teatro Manatí was a wooden structure built on Calle A, which opened in 1914 and was destroyed by a fire in 1928. This theater, located in the Manatí Sugar Mill across the José Martí Pérez Park, opened in November 1944 and initially showed Argentinean and Mexican films, and Westerns.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Cespedes on May 27, 2015 at 2:11 am

It is now named after Carlos Manuel de Céspedes del Castillo.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Cervantes on May 27, 2015 at 2:05 am

It was inaugurated on January 1, 1925 as Teatro de la Colonia Española with the performance of the Lupes Riva Corcho theater company. It was later managed by the Cía. Hermanos F. Cima. Ample remodeling was carried out by Engineers Herminio Lauderman and Ricardo Martínez from 1935 and new modern equipment installed, due to the efforts of its owner Teresa Cima, reopening on March 8, 1940. It was named after nationalist pianist and composer Ignacio Cervantes Kawanagh. It now lies in ruins, only part of the façade standing.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Dela on May 26, 2015 at 6:25 pm

The town is on the north coast. Hershey Sugar Mill was in the municipality. The theater was operating on December 31, 1958.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine del Valle on May 26, 2015 at 6:22 pm

The town is south of the capital. The area was the most important milk basin that supplied the capital. The theater was open on December 31, 1958.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine-Teatro America on May 26, 2015 at 6:17 pm

The Teatro “Atenas” was opened at this location on June 28, 1916 due to the effort of the Martínez-Illa family, who were its owners for a short time. In the 20’s it was bought by Roldán who changed its name to “Sauto”. In the 40’s the company managed by Nicolás Cosio bought it, demolished the old structure and built the present one. Mariano del Toro worked on the design, the construction was directed by architect Pedro Páez and built by contractor Fermín Rodríguez, and it was inaugurated in April 1948. It was repaired and re-opened on April 25, 1984.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Jaronu on May 26, 2015 at 6:09 pm

This theater was located in the Jaronú sugar mill. It was the largest sugar mill in the country, owned by the American Sugar Refining Company. The church sacristy can be seen in back.

guarina
guarina commented about Teatro Principal on May 26, 2015 at 6:06 pm

It’s said the local residents volunteered to carry the wood and other heavy materials for the building’s roof for 13 miles. Its constructor was Blas Cabrera, its construction lasted 11 months. It opened on July 15, 1839, in neoclassic style. It was burned down in 1868. And it rose from the ashes.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Conrado Benitez on May 26, 2015 at 6:03 pm

A shed of brick and roof tiles located at San Francisco #25 which had been inherited in 1898 by the three children of José del Espíritu Santo Antúnez y Bercedes was demolished in 1926 by Architect Alberto Luis Mendigutía Silvera, and a modern 3-storey building in an eclectic style was built on its site. The first two floors were for cultural activities, the 3rd for offices. The luxurious Teatro Renacimiento opened in 1927 as a live theater. It was the property of the Sociedad Civil Colectiva Mendigutía y Garcia. It rises opposite the Plaza San Francisco. It was transformed into a cinema. On December 23, 1958 the populace ransacked it and destroyed its interior decoration. In 1960 it was restored and named after alphabetizing teacher Conrado Benítez García.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Gris on May 14, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Newspaper articles say things like, “The Gris movie theater, on E between 17 and 19, in a lower rank, had a noisy and merry balcony; its boxes had a peculiarity, it was almost impossible to see the movie from them”, and “Movie theaters have been lost, like the Gris cinema”.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Yara on May 13, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Yara is a river in Oriente province.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Vedado on May 13, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Spanish General Francisco Dionisio Vives Piñón was Governor of Cuba from 1823 to 1832 and titled a Count, and he married Doña Francisca Candelaria Oliva in Trinidad, but I rather doubt the theater would have been named after him.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Capitolio on May 13, 2015 at 3:08 am

This movie theater was located between Teniente Rey and Dragones streets, one block south of the “Payret”, across from the National Capitol building.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Accion on May 13, 2015 at 3:02 am

This theater has the same address as the Payret, it is not listed in the 19th Annual Edition of the Cuban Cinematographic and Radial Directory published in 1959 and it does not appear in the April 1958 telephone directory of Havana. It may have been just a branch of the Payret.

guarina
guarina commented about Cine Payret on May 12, 2015 at 9:59 pm

This theater was inaugurated on 21 January 1877, owned by opulent Catalonian Joaquín Payret, trying to rival Teatro Tacón. It was consecutively known as Teatro de la Paz and Coliseo Rojo. It is purportedly the first theater in the country to show movies, in 1897. It was located on Paseo del Prado between San José and Teniente Rey, across from the National Capitol building, one block north of the “Capitolio” theater. It was rebuilt in 1951. I saw Mexican film “Canaima” there with Jorge Negrete and Charito Granados. The theater is incorrectly positioned on the street map.

guarina
guarina commented about Teatro Raul Aparicio on May 12, 2015 at 2:57 am

This theater was named after Cruces' native writer Raúl Aparicio Nogales. It is located opposite Martí park.