Comments from jordanlage

jordanlage commented about Barre Opera House on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I performed on the stage of the Barre Opera House in the summer of 1985. The Atlantic Theater Company production of THE HOTEL PLAY by Wally Shawn, directed by Sheila Welch. This play was part of Atlantic’s inaugural summer season of plays in Vermont. Other venues were located in Montpelier.

jordanlage commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:24 pm

I believe I caught Lawrence here twice.

jordanlage commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Lucky to have caught Jaws here in this series.

jordanlage commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:18 pm

1st of many movies I saw at the Ziegfeld. Still have the program they gave out.

jordanlage
jordanlage commented about AD FOR "ROUGH CUT" - BLOOR AND OTHER THEATRES on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Burt Reynolds in a film with David Niven, and Niven gets 3rd billing. Produced by David Merrick (Mr. Broadway himself), directed by Don Siegel (Clint Eastwood’s mentor), music by Nelson Riddle (Oscar winner for his score for The Great Gatsby), cinematographer was Freddie Young (3-time Oscar winner for David Lean). How could this one have possibly gone wrong???

jordanlage commented about Sunset Theater on Sep 7, 2016 at 12:55 am

Aha! This was where I saw Chinatown maybe in ‘76 or '77, not at Telegraph Rep as I’d thought. I do recall seeing it in a second floor auditorium, very cramped, seemingly makeshift. Anyone have a similar recollection of this theater’s interior?

jordanlage commented about Oaks Theater on Sep 6, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Saw a few movies at the Oaks in my time, but the only ones I remember was a double-feature of Don Taylor’s “Tom Sawyer” the musicalized version from 1973 I believe, and right after it, John Sturges’s “Joe Kidd” with Clint Eastwood. These would have been second or even third runs of these films. I saw this double-feature in July or August of 1973. Joe Kidd was released in July of 1972; Tom Sawyer’s release date was March 1973. I’ve always liked that the Oaks was perched prominently at the top of Solano Avenue in Albany (Berkeley), and looked forward to seeing what was on the marquee as you drove west out of the Northbrae Tunnel. That it’s closed now (and McCallum’s ice cream!) significantly diminishes the allure of the Solano Ave commercial district. Should Pegasus Books fold that will be the end of my visits to that neighborhood.

jordanlage commented about 4-Star Theatre on Aug 1, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Can anyone post some interior photos?

jordanlage commented about Alhambra Theater on Jul 3, 2016 at 7:07 am

I remember being excited to see Altman’s “Buffalo Bill & the Indians, or Sitting Bull’s history Lesson” there in 1976 in one of the twin auditoriums. In fact, I was so stoked to see Paul Newman and Harvey Keitel in a film together, I endured two back-to-back showings. Pretty dull. Today, you won’t find many film buffs mentioning “Buffalo Bill” in the same breath as MASH, Nashville, The Player, Short Cuts, or Gosford Park. I was 13 in 1976 and in love with the movies was my excuse. Would have loved to have seen a good film there when it converted back to single screen.

jordanlage commented about Northpoint Theatre on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:31 am

Interesting to note the moronic ignorance of the protest sign. Scorsese is of course Italian-American as is producer Barbara De Fina, writers Kazantzakis is Greek, and Schrader had a strict Calvinist upbringing.

jordanlage commented about Bella Union Theatre on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:20 am

Confused about which one of the two buildings was the Bella Union. the one housing World Ginseng Center (825 Kearny) or the building to its left with the semi-circle window? Any insights appreciated.

jordanlage commented about Rivoli Theatre on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I remember the JAWS billboard in this space in 1975. Wish I had taken a picture.

jordanlage commented about A Bridge Too Far on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I saw A BRIDGE TOO FAR on opening day in Berkeley, CA at the Shattuck Cinemas and have never forgotten it. It remains one of my favorite war films. Spectacular film and tremendous performances by Bogarde, Caan, Caine, Hopkins, Connery, Kruger, and Schell.

jordanlage commented about St. Albans Drive-In on Jun 26, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Love that this ad is in French. Nearest town in Canada of any significant population is Philipsburg, 26 minutes away.

jordanlage commented about St. Albans Drive-In on Jun 26, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Visited there in July of 2014. Ghosts, even during the daytime. Never saw a movie at this drive-in, but memories of the drive-in experiences of my youth brought back wistful memories. Check my post for 202 Drive-In, West Chester, PA.

jordanlage commented about Nova Theatre on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:38 am

This theater was apparently known as the Tapia for a while, at least in the 1970s. Anyone know why it was named that and then changed to the Nova? Simply new management renaming it?

jordanlage commented about Eagle Theatre on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:24 am

Posting a photo of a NY Times ad from June 27, 1975 listing the Eagle as showing The Godfather Part II, a little over 6 months after its premiere at other exclusive-run theaters in Manhattan.

jordanlage commented about Empress Theater on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:12 am

This must have been known also as the Cinema Astral, showing Spanish dubbed films in the 1970s. Posting an ad from the NY Times June 27, 1975 listing the theater as showing The Godfather Part II either dubbed or subtitled in Spanish.

jordanlage commented about Loew's State Theatre on Jun 20, 2016 at 6:16 am

For what it’s worth, Polanski’s CHINATOWN premiered at Loew’s State 1 on this date, June 20th, in 1974, not June 19th. Just checked the ad in Times Machine. Don’t recall seeing too many films at the State, though I was here in NYC for 6 years before it closed. My recollection is that I saw Ragtime in State 1. Bit of a letdown after having 1st read the terrific Doctorow novel.

jordanlage commented about Warner Theatre on Mar 6, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Almost positive that comments I posted in 2007 about the old Warner Theater here in downtown West Chester have been removed. Not happy about that. Will repost old memories later. But as to sendingoutansoso’s inquiry from 2008, yes, I do recall the old Eric West Goshen theaters. By the time I frequented it, in the mid-1970s, it had twinned. Or maybe it was always a twin theater. My guess is that it was a typical strip mall theater of the time – mid to late 1960s – and nothing terribly distinguishing about the theater. Imagine a typical strip mall theater of that era, and you’ve got the Eric Twin West Goshen shopping mall theaters. I recall seeing a second-run engagement of JAWS there in the fall of 1975. Or maybe JAWS had opened there in June or July of that year and had played all those months, as films often did back in those years, but my guess is it was a second-run showing. Not sure when the theater(s) closed. The Eric chain, based in Philly I believe as Sameric, went out of business for good in the 1990s. Anyone confirm that?

jordanlage commented about The Rialto circa 1920s on Mar 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm

This photo of the Idle Hour bears a striking resemblance to what would later be called the Garden, which was later called the Harrison. See theaters in West Chester, PA, the Harrison, to see the still extant facade as of 2007. The semi-circle facade curve above the “Idle Hour” lettering still exists on the old Harrison facade. The Rialto seems to have been another theater (next door?) altogether.

jordanlage commented about Blue Hen Theatre on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:46 pm

May have seen a Wednesday matinee here of A Bridge Too Far in the late summer/early fall of 1977. Definitely a second-run house, Bridge may have been truncated a little at this point in its run to get more showings in (at night anyway). I doubt it was unspooling at its original length (176 minutes). I recall I was maybe the only one in the theater. Okay, maybe a handful of patrons. Apologies if the Blue Hen wasn’t the theater I saw this at, but it was some theater in lower Delaware between the canal and Rehoboth.

jordanlage commented about Branmar Cinema on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Oh, yes! Recall the Sensurround gimmick for both Earthquake and Rollercoaster here. HUGE subwoofers down in front between the screen & 1st row. Good times!

jordanlage commented about Concord Mall 2 Theatres on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Frankenheimer’s Black Sunday, one of the best to play at Concord Mall Cinema. I sat through two consecutive showings in March 1977.

jordanlage commented about Concord Mall 2 Theatres on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Yup, saw that there, too. The 1st Superman also. And Saturday Night Fever.