Comments from jthack132

Showing 16 comments

jthack132 commented about North Theatre on Apr 17, 2005 at 11:56 am

Great job on Sam Shepard’s “True West.” Congrats to Jerry Meadors, Denny & Bryan Kirkwood, and Nathan Bexton. I hope others will come and see the performance. As well, I hope that others from Hollywood will become interested in participating in events and productions at the North Theatre. Again great job guys.

jthack132 commented about Strand Theater on Apr 11, 2005 at 1:55 pm

I have talked with the owners of the property and there is no chance that the property will be restored. The theatre is to far gone and would have been an over extension of money and time. The interest is simply not there. All I ask is that people keep the memories alive and help save others from destruction. If you ever visit Danville,VA please takethe time to visit the newly renovated Historic North Theatre.

jthack132 commented about Gaiety Theatre on Mar 8, 2005 at 1:57 pm

The North Theatre is now open. The next show is OUR TOWN, presented by the Galielo Theatre Guild. The show time is 7 pm on March 11th and 12th.

jthack132 commented about North Theatre on Mar 8, 2005 at 1:55 pm

I had the pleasure of attending the opening night of the North Theatre. All of my family was in attendance. I have heard tells of the old theatres of Danville, like the North, Lea, Dan, Rialto, Virginia, Bijou, Capitol, Schoolfield, Gaiety, Ritz, but you never really understand what it was like until you have the chance to experience it for yourself. My best wishes to Jerry Meadors and the Board of the North. I hope to attend many more shows. It is nice to see what someone can do when they are truely focused on a vision and the ideals behind historic preservation and restoration. It changes an entire community.

jthack132
jthack132 commented about Grand Theater 3D Renderings on Feb 12, 2005 at 6:27 am

Great job on the renderings. I wish we had someone here in Danville, VA to do a 3D rendering of the old Strand Theatre before it’s gone. Great idea for the SIMS Cinema game.

jthack132 commented about Strand Theater on Feb 8, 2005 at 6:43 am

Some well known figures that visited the Hotel Leeland were John Dillinger and Roy Rogers.

If you would like to lend verbal support for the restoration of the Strand Theatre please contact the following people.

Liz Sater:
Myself:

You may also contact various members of Danville City Council. You can get their e-mails at the City website: www.danville-va.gov

If you would like to make a donation towards helping save the Strand, please e-mail me first and I will give you the needed information.

jthack132 commented about North Theatre on Feb 5, 2005 at 8:23 am

The North Theatre is absolutely awesome. Jerry Meadors and the other people involved with the project have done a great job and I have heard nothing but wondering things. It is nice to see North Main or Neapolis coming back to its' former glory. My family has a long standing history in that part of town and it has ment a lot to us to see good things happening in a part of town that most people have forgotten and neglected. I am looking forward to the first show and hope to attend many events at the North Theatre.

jthack132 commented about Gaiety Theatre on Feb 3, 2005 at 2:34 am

Business Directories written by the City of Danville only mention the Gaiety Theatre once and that was in 1908. I have searched the blueprint archives at City Hall and have not come across any records of the theatre. Those blueprints and records span from 1833 to 1980. According to the City of Danville, the City was not required to keep copies of the building blueprints, so it is possible they were just thrown away.

jthack132
jthack132 commented about Historic Notting Hill Arthouse Cinema Undergoes Refurbishment on Feb 2, 2005 at 3:52 am

Sounds like a truely wonerful theatre. If I ever visit London I will be sure to visit the Gate Cinema. I am currently trying to save an historic theatre here in the State of Virginia. The Historic Strand Theatre. The owner is sitting own the property and refuses to let anyone buy the thing and restore it. It’s sort of a sad situation really. The Strand was built in 1914-1915 at a total cost of $300,000 or the equiv. of $3 million in todays money. The new 12 screen cinema here in Danville only cost $2 million to build and the Strand was more than that in total cost and it only had one screen. Be sure to look out for the Strand Theatre on Cinema Treasures… the theatre information is currently being reviewed.

jthack132 on Feb 1, 2005 at 2:06 am

Tickets are now on sale and cane be picked up at the box office o Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 12-3pm and 5-7pm.

jthack132 commented about Strand Theater on Jan 26, 2005 at 4:22 am

The Strand was not featured on tuesday due to technical problems with the website. It will appear sometime this week or weekend.

jthack132 commented about Strand Theater on Jan 19, 2005 at 1:46 pm

The Strand Theatre story will be coming to the Preservation 911 site soon , with COLOR PHOTOS !!

jthack132 commented about Strand Theater on Jan 18, 2005 at 3:38 am

Dorthy Nesbitt is no longer the director of the Downtown Danville Association. The new director is a lady named Liz Sater. If anyone would like to contact her visit www.downtown-danville.com and there is some contact info on there. The owners of the property are well known in Danville for letting their property more or less fall to the ground before they do anything to it or attempt to do anything to it. I, myself, would be interested in buying the gift shop out and the restaurant to completely gut and restore the theatre if only for a conference center, but I’ve called the property owners and I never get a return on my phone calls. I’m going to try and have an article placed on the preservation 911 website about the theatre with some pics. Keep a look out for it !!

jthack132 commented about Strand Theater on Dec 15, 2004 at 2:33 pm

I am definately sorry that you drove all the way from PA to see the theatre. I hope the shop owner at least let you view what was remaining of the Strand Theatre.

jthack132 on Dec 15, 2004 at 2:31 pm

The North Theatre is nearing the end of its restoration phase and will soon be open to the public. The facility is fantastic and is worth the visit !!

jthack132 on Nov 29, 2004 at 2:09 am

Thanks for the update on the theatre info !! This previous information was based on a Register and Bee article written when the theatre was first purchased !!